GDT: HFBoards GDT | 3/6/21 - It's Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2010
You can even just feel it pregame in the buildings. It’s just a very intense rivalry when the teams are competitive and they have the genuine hate on the ice that these two teams have right now.
I've literally said this for years and posters here never believe me. If you're a sports fan (of any given team) you want your rivals to be as good as you because otherwise it's not a rivalry, it's just going through the motions and what sports media tells you "it should be because it was this good before."

If Calgary, Vancouver (though they'll break off to Seattle soon enough) and Edmonton can be Division contenders (in regular years) at the same time, that hockey will be beautiful to watch. It's nice that at least the Alberta teams have decent teams right now but neither are contender material yet.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
McDavid: 8 points in his last 2 games against the Flames

He certainly seems to understand what the battle of Alberta means

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
The Oilers are a 2 player team. It's embarrassing they don't have a few deep runs with McDavid with how good he is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So what did the Leafs do to Edmonton that the Flames could not?
It was a combination of the Leafs playing a strong 3 defensive games, Edmonton playing like absolute trash, goaltending and bad defensive lapses spotting early leads which played into Toronto's 1-2-2 trap style game plan, and Tippet making no adjustments to their game throughout the series.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
It was a combination of the Leafs playing a strong 3 defensive games, Edmonton playing like absolute trash, goaltending and bad defensive lapses spotting early leads which played into Toronto's 1-2-2 trap style game plan, and Tippet making no adjustments to their game throughout the series.

And yet there was Tippett adjusting In the BofA

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The Oilers are a 2 player team. It's embarrassing they don't have a few deep runs with McDavid with how good he is.

Better then the zero player team Calgary Flames.

Even with the Oilers looking very meh and McDavid and Draisaitl invisible for most of the game everybody knew exactly how that one was gonna turn out.

It’s never a concern when teams are down against the Flames, they are absolutely elite at finding ways to lose.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Also flubbing our chances we dominated on the analytics and SCF + HDSCF in the first two games.

It’s a variety of factors, the obvious one is the Leafs are the better team. They’re pretty comfortably the best team in the North at the moment.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Everyone knows that the Oilers lack depth... that is not a secret... but if Nurse, Yamamoto and Nuge are not good players then the Flames have a zero player team.

Anyways... thought it was a better game from the Oilers and it was a game that both teams seemed to want. I was worried after the Oilers came out flat again, but Smith held them in and gave the Oilers a chance to win. Their offence came through in the end to get a very important win. If they lost this game, after getting dominated by the Leafs, then it could have been a real mental uphill battle.

@thaman8765678, like I told you in that other thread earlier this week ... we were getting 2 points in this game

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That is the first time I have ever heard the Leafs accused of playing a 'trap'.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That is the first time I have ever heard the Leafs accused of playing a 'trap'.
Thats not how they usually play, but if you watched how they played in the Edmonton 3 game series it is probably the best way to describe their game plan into Edmonton, especially after their first periods where they got a bit of a cushion. A lot of clogging the neutral zone with a guy shadowing McDavid. They did it very well, but they certainly weren't playing the same style that they did in the first 4 meetings against Edmonton when they split the games. Tippet didn't really have an answer for it which is partly personnel, and partly poor adjustments on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad