GDT: HFBoards GDT | 3/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We talk about coaches that are overrated and still living off long ago accumulated reputations, but what about Claude Julien? How long before we start to ask if this is something to do with him, the fact that his teams have had a significantly below league average shooting percentage for years now?

In the two full years since he's been gone from Boston, their shooting percentage has increased and it was average to below average for several years before he was fired.

And it's been quite a bit below league average since he took over again in Montreal.

Maybe he's really not that good? At least not anymore?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Price should have had the fourth goal and the second goal on Bobrovsky was a really awful goal that could have deflated the Jackets. I don't think Montreal has what it takes, otherwise.

Well I would hope not vs Columbus, they acquired an above PPG centre and a guy that was on pace for 30 goals at the deadline. They should clearly be better.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I think only the Jets game will end up mattering for the other team though. Tampa is locked in, Washington likely will have the division clinched by then, and the Leafs are locked into 3rd (or will be by that game for sure)

Granted if it came down to the Habs needing a win on the last day of the season the Leafs would *love* to play spoilers.
Dude, if it comes down to Toronto and Montreal for the playoff spot, that is must watch hockey.

But neither of the Jets, Washington, or Tampa will play easy against them. None of those teams have coasted now, and they won't going into it.

Reactions: Cellee

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think only the Jets game will end up mattering for the other team though. Tampa is locked in, Washington likely will have the division clinched by then, and the Leafs are locked into 3rd (or will be by that game for sure)

Granted if it came down to the Habs needing a win on the last day of the season the Leafs would *love* to play spoilers.

Tampa won't phone it in either against a possible 1st round opponent.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This has aged remarkably well.
Tampa takes down either of these teams in 5, if not 4 games. Vasilevskiy could possibly go .980% in a 4 game sweep against Julien's sludge system where they shoot 28-30 blanks a night. Price probably stole a game if it went to 5.

I think the Bolts take Columbus in 5, but I could see Columbus upsetting them enough to take it to 6 or it just being a sweep, but I'd bet probably 5. It could go either 4 or 6 though.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
We talk about coaches that are overrated and still living off long ago accumulated reputations, but what about Claude Julien? How long before we start to ask if this is something to do with him, the fact that his teams have had a significantly below league average shooting percentage for years now?

In the two full years since he's been gone from Boston, their shooting percentage has increased and it was average to below average for several years before he was fired.

And it's been quite a bit below league average since he took over again in Montreal.

Julien is excellent recently at coaching a team to a 9th place (17th in the NHL) finish in the worst position possible in the NHL.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well I would hope not vs Columbus, they acquired an above PPG centre and a guy that was on pace for 30 goals at the deadline. They should clearly be better.
It's been clear all along that Columbus (at least post-deadline) is better than Montreal. I would say maybe Price edges out Bobrovsky, especially in what's been a down year for him, but that's about it.

I was kind of hoping Montreal would get in over Columbus, but I don't think they're gonna do it on talent.

Don't think they're gonna do it with their behind the bench power either, as Montreal can't finish under Julien. Even one of their goals tonight was a backhander from a dead angle, that's probably stopped 96%-97% of the time.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Julien is excellent recently at coaching a team to a 9th place (17th in the NHL) finish in the worst position possible in the NHL.
He's living off a dated and ancient reputation. I'm not saying he sucks, but I am saying he probably isn't as good as people think he is. At least not anymore.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He's living off a dated and ancient reputation. I'm not saying he sucks, but I am saying he probably isn't as good as people think he is. At least not anymore.

After watching this game and Cassidy's Bruins it's clear that he relies on defence to win games still. His team looks so much like the Bruins team that couldn't complete a pass in the neutral zone.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Two very pretty goals by Larkin tonight to give him 30 for the season. Rebuild season aside, I think there's a lot more talent on this Wings team than people realize. I can see them becoming very good in three or so years.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

No.

He is the PERFECT coach for a team like Montreal. He has brought a well below average roster to within a few wins of a playoff spot.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No.

He is the PERFECT coach for a team like Montreal. He has brought a well below average roster to within a few wins of a playoff spot.
They're shooting percentage is quite a bit below league average since he got there.

Boston's has only gone up since he was fired from there. I'm sensing a pattern here after a few years of this.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
They're shooting percentage is quite a bit below league average since he got there.

Boston's has only gone up since he was fired from there. I'm sensing a pattern here after a few years of this.

It's more simple than that. Montreal is just not a good team. They would be bottom three if not for a system coach like Claude.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's more simple than that. Montreal is just not a good team. They would be bottom three if not for a system coach like Claude.
I don't think they're good either, but bottom 3 team in the NHL? I don't think they're nearly that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad