GDT: HFBoards GDT | 12/11/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The goalies are part of the team.

p.s. So is the defense and the Avs defense is putrid.
Really wrong post, eye-test and the underlying numbers say they're top 5-10 defencive core unit in the entire NHL. Today though, Barrie has been responsible for at least two of the Oiler goals and Varlamov/Grubs the rest. It's just two games, even Lightning got wacked earlier in the season. Varlamov and Grubauer is one of the top duos in the whole league, you'd look stupid if you think there are like seven better.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Avs completely manhandling the Oilers, but some careless defencive plays and Varlamov can't stop a beachball and Oilers are winning. It happens in sports.

Man-handling the Oilers... no doubt the Avs have had numerous chances, but man-handling is what McDavid has done to the Avs defense all game. He's could have 4+ points if it wasn't for a numerous posts.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not a good analysis at all.
Well, whocares because it's the right one. Oilers only had one amazing shift with McDavid in the first period and Avs have controlled the play from there. Again, terrible decisions with the puck defencively including momentum-killing goals by Varly has destroyed this game.

Man-handling the Oilers... no doubt the Avs have had numerous chances, but man-handling is what McDavid has done to the Avs defense all game. He's could have 4+ points if it wasn't for a numerous posts.
Short side posts which he had two of, is on the goaler 10 out of 10 times. McDavid has been good, but Avs goaltending has been bad so no manhandling by anyone on the Loliers.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I just flip threw all games when my team isn't playing or if it's intermission etc. I guess you know you're a hockey fan when? lol

The problem with the intermission thing is all the games are in intermission. I wish they staggared the games better, but that's a minor annoyance.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Really wrong post, eye-test and the underlying numbers say they're top 5-10 defencive core unit in the entire NHL. Today though, Barrie has been responsible for at least two of the Oiler goals and Varlamov/Grubs the rest. It's just two games, even Lightning got wacked earlier in the season. Varlamov and Grubauer is one of the top duos in the whole league, you'd look stupid if you think there are like seven better.

That is why the "underlying" argument is usually bullshit, and Barrie is the worst of the lot for sure. But again, if Avs fans are content good on them.

Per usual, we will see come playoff time.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yep. This team is terrible. Shoulda fired bowman, not Q. Doesn’t help that we have 1 guy out of 6 that can actuallly play defense. And then buff railroads debrincat and what exactly are the hawks gonna do? Team is soft as toilet paper and Manning is the only one that would fight, and buff would likely destroy him.

DyESmKy.gif

This GIF from tonight sums up the Hawks this year

Reactions: rynryn and 780il

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That is why the "underlying" argument is usually bull****, and Barrie is the worst of the lot for sure. But again, if Avs fans are content that is good on them.

Per usual, we will see come playoff time.
If there has been something I deem bad, it is that Avs are still quite inconsistent and tend to play down to bad teams like the Oilers. Before the last two games, they were running riot on clubs with the most goals per game and best powerplay in the league. As I said somewhere else, the ebbs and flows, Caps looked dreadful in the first two months of the year and bounce back. Avs have the talent to do the same after two bad games.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If there has been something I deem bad, it is that Avs are still quite inconsistent and tend to play down to bad teams like the Oilers. Before the last two games, they were running riot on clubs with the most goals per game and best powerplay in the league. As I said somewhere else, the ebbs and flows, Caps looked dreadful in the first two months of the year and bounce back. Avs have the talent to do the same after two bad games.

Avs are the absolute most top heavy team in the NHL and that has to change for real success to follow.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs are the absolute most top heavy team in the NHL and that has to change.
It changes through the draft though. We got some players maturing in the AHL and should get a good one with the Sens pick. Then add on top of that any potential trades or UFA's. Avs gutted their forward depth to fix the defence and now are trying to get that depth back. Not sure if you're watching the game, but Avs second PP unit is deadly AF, just been unfortunate not to get one tonight.

Reactions: Sam Spade

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The Avs are simply not a good team, they have a few good players, that is all. Watched so many of their games and I just can't believe they win as much as they do.

Can't win if line one gets shutdown.

Avs and the Devils are teams I expected to regress big time this season. It's taken longer than expected for that to happen with the Avs but I think they'll continue to fall in the standings.
Maybe other teams are figuring out how to limit the effectiveness of the 1st line (though not entirely, since it's a fantastic line and will continue to score) and shut down the other lines.
Not to mention both goalies for the Avs look like they've peaked (no pun intended Colorado!)

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Avs need a shake-up. Sakic should have EJ or Barrie on the block.

They don't need a "shake up". You "shake up" teams that are fundamentally sound and need a wake up call. The Avs are a team with clear gaps that need to be addressed -- and since one of those gaps has been defense due to EJ playing rather poorly this year, you don't just trade a D for the sake of it.

Avs are the absolute most top heavy team in the NHL and that has to change for real success to follow.

Absolutely.

Reactions: Sam Spade

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Okay refs you've gotten them their PP goal, can stop managing the game now.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Andrigetto is damn lucky he's a little shrimp, Lucic would have absolutely dummied him there if he wasn't.

Reactions: 780il

Avs44

May 16, 2011
And yes...if you swapped the goalies this one probably would have been over after the 1st. Koskinen was brilliant and stoned the top line repeatedly. Varly's been crap for three straight. Doesn't excuse all the miscues elsewhere on the Avs' end or how the Oilers' offense has come on, but the top line was having their way in the first period plus the first part of the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad