GDT: HFBoards GDT | 1/8/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Some team has to be in the bottom.
It's probably a lack of discipline issue. There's no rule that says every team has to have the same amount of PPs as PKs.
They take the lead early in games and allow a lot of shots. Maybe that has something to do with it, maybe not.

Reactions: BHD

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Some team has to be in the bottom.
It's probably a lack of discipline issue. There's no rule that says every team has to have the same amount of PPs as PKs.
no, there isn’t, but when you’ve got a team as fast as the Leafs, you’re bound to draw a lot of penalties... which is why you see Leafs fans raging about missed calls so often.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Every fanbase thinks the refs are out to get them. It's logically impossible.

3rd in the NHL in Even-Strength Goals For.
29th in the NHL in Powerplay Opportunities.

It is what it is at the end of the day, but man, it's frustrating. Those #'s don't jive.

Reactions: Petrus

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean the winner was quite clearly kicked in, you can see Panarin's skate come off the ice at the same time Freddie did let in 2 goals on 3 3rd period shots it should never have got there to begin with so I can't blame the refs even if they did screw up, because had Freddie made 1 extra save it doesn't get to OT

he didn't, it did and they lost

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I mean the winner was quite clearly kicked in, you can see Panarin's skate come off the ice at the same time Freddie did let in 2 goals on 3 3rd period shots it should never have got there to begin with so I can't blame the refs even if they did screw up, because had Freddie made 1 extra save it doesn't get to OT

he didn't, it did and they lost

It was pretty clear that it deflected from his skate to his stick. Even the non CBJ announcers conceded it should be a good goal.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
For the record, are there any Leaf fans out there who believe the Leafs deserved to lose this game?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

lololololol what is that?

Nick is heading to the bench and nick isn't going to give up his ground in a tight chippy game. Not saying I agree with it, but it's incidental conact and it's hard to tell exactly what's happening in a 5 second clip.

seneca

Jan 20, 2016
And here's too many men by the leafs. Why wasn't this penalty called?
2018-01-08_232909.jpg

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
3rd in the NHL in Even-Strength Goals For.
29th in the NHL in Powerplay Opportunities.

It is what it is at the end of the day, but man, it's frustrating. Those #'s don't jive.

It's just like last year with Columbus.

They were 2nd in even strength goals but LAST in PP opportunities.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

lololololol what is that?

Can't say for sure what happened between Rielly and Foligno (I frankly strongly suspect that if there was any contact made at all it was minor), but the immediate aftermath looks like Rielly throwing his glove.

Back-to-back frames:

theglove.png

Note how the glove (which went up in a parabolic arc, mind you) is behind Foligno the entire time, not knocked flying by contact.

EDIT: and while I'm here, I should note that I evidently haven't been watching enough Leafs games, because otherwise I should have noticed Dermott before now. Kid's doing good work. :thumbu:

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Because it wasn't too many men.

van Reimsdyk was (1) within 5 feet of the bench, give or take; and (2) the player coming on is not yet involved in the play.
I think that's supposed to be a whatabout w/r/t Jones/Werenski change just before the GWG. Werenski wasn't in the play yet either.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I think that's supposed to be a whatabout w/r/t Jones/Werenski change just before the GWG. Werenski wasn't in the play yet either.

Oh, I know, but on that one there's more of a case to be made IMO. Werenski doesn't need to have the puck. He got involved in the play when he turned the Panarin rush into an odd man break. The question is, when that materialized, was Jones within 5 feet of the bench? My impression is no, but it is a lot closer in the real time GIF (which Jeff also posted) than in the freeze frame. Either way, a rarely called rule and a tough one for the officials to judge. In general, this was not what I'd call a badly officiated game, but as I implied earlier, there's a lot of frustration in Leafland with the refs these days.

And yeah, Dermott looks really solid thus far. He has flown under the radar a bit, because (A) he was not a high pick (31st overall), (B) he fills a position of need (defense) and thus isn't offered up in trade proposals on the main boards, and (C) there's a group of Leafs posters who are still bitter we traded down for him instead of taking Konecny. But he's been fantastic for the Marlies, arguably their best defenseman over the past year as a 20/21-year-old. Just a really smart player, who's skating has markedly improved since his draft year, and despite being 5'11," he's a sturdy 5'11." The key for him is going to be staying healthy, since he's missed a fair share of games in his first two years of pro.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad