Line Combos: HFBoards Decides: Opening Lineup - Phil Kessel

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i don't think its unreasonable to suggest that because the penguins did not surround sid with appropriate talent for most of his career he now doesn't play quite as well with talented players as one would expect for a player of his skill.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
That isn't exactly fair because nowhere did I say Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist would be better than P-C-H, nowhere and I don't think they will be.

No, you didn't say it -- but I think my statement is fair, because to be FULLY onboard with XXX-Crosby-Kessel, then you are IMPLYING that you feel the benefits of XXX-Crosby-Kessel overcome any dropoff that you get by running a Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist line (AS COMPARED TO running Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist and XXX-Malkin-Kessel line). While I agree with your sentiments about Crosby being saddled with inferior wingers, playing well with Hossa, and that he'd be more "fully unleashed" with a Kessel on his line, you (IMO) can't consider all of this in a vacuum. You almost act as if you are saying "Crosby has been screwed with wingers in the past, so he deserves Kessel," but you don't seem to be considering the effect of Crosby-Kessel on the team, as a whole. In a vacuum, yes -- Kessel paired with Crosby would be great, and would allow Crosby, most likely, to perform in ways he hasn't been able to when centering Kunitz and Dupuis. BUT -- this isn't about "doing right by Sid." It's about making the team as strong as possible, and hopefully a serious contender for the Cup. And from that perspective, if P-C-H and X-M-K is CUMULATIVELY better than X-C-K and P-M-H, THEN, in that case, running X-C-K is the wrong move.

In order to conclude that Kessel should be with Crosby you have to believe that Kessel with Crosby is so much greater than Kessel with Malkin that it covers any loss in production of PMH vs PCH.

You could also argue that Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist is greater than or equal to Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist, which you haven't done.

Exactly what I was trying to say. Well said.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Well no kidding because you didn't list the other line of Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist.

I believe it was reasonable to assume that would be the other line. We are all heading the same direction with this comparison, just taking different roads to get there.

I do believe any drop off in points because Hornqvist moves away from Crosby and to Geno will be more than made up for by putting Kessel with Crosby. Yes, I meant total point production of both lines.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
i don't think its unreasonable to suggest that because the penguins did not surround sid with appropriate talent for most of his career he now doesn't play quite as well with talented players as one would expect for a player of his skill.

What? All the players around Sid made him worse? That's really reaching.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
What? All the players around Sid made him worse? That's really reaching.

I think he means that they messed up his development there and that he's developed habits that don't mesh with other skilled players. Crosby can play with skill but who knows what the lack of skilled linemates has done to him, tbh.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Did Palffy mesh with Sid? I forget. I remember there were rumors of Palffy not liking Crosby's abrasiveness, but he squashed those rumors later on after his retirement.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I think he means that they messed up his development there and that he's developed habits that don't mesh with other skilled players. Crosby can play with skill but who knows what the lack of skilled linemates has done to him, tbh.

I think what he he really meant was that the Pens org is total **** & it all goes up to Lemchew who has been his favourite punching bag for almost two decades now on multiple boards.

It's really getting old.

Also, Sid has played with Malkin & multiple stars in tourneys.

But if you're into pure BS... Meh.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Did Palffy mesh with Sid? I forget. I remember there were rumors of Palffy not liking Crosby's abrasiveness, but he squashed those rumors later on after his retirement.

Tbh Sid ain't exactely the easiest player to mesh with, i mean, the guy is a motor to start with.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
I think what he he really meant was that the Pens org is total **** & it all goes up to Lemchew who has been his favourite punching bag for almost two decades now on multiple boards.

It's really getting old.

two decades? on multiple boards? i think you have me confused with someone else.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Well, that goes without saying. :laugh:

Two Olympics and a World Championship over 10 years really isn't much, the same goes for Malkin on the PP and whenever the coaching staff felt the need to put them together. Oh, and however many games it was with Hossa. It's really not a lot and the org ****ed up royally there, in development and in damn well providing support. Crosby hasn't played regularly with skilled wingers and that probably has led to tendencies being formed, they may not all be bad and I doubt it's a crippling problem, but it happened.

That being said, I'm sure TteoT is being way OTT about it.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
two decades? on multiple boards? i think you have me confused with someone else.

If that is so then you seem to have similar agendas when it comes to Lemieux (Lemchew, biggest whiner ever etc.).

Just saying.

Also, why do you have that username? What does it means?

...and Ted Leonsis as an avatar, really?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Did Sid and Palffy even play together? From what I could remember Malone-Lemieux-Palffy was the top line in Sid's rookie campaign.

They must have tried it but I don't remember.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Did Sid and Palffy even play together? From what I could remember Malone-Lemieux-Palffy was the top line in Sid's rookie campaign.

Lemieux left after 20 or games, Palffy lasted half the season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I believe it was reasonable to assume that would be the other line. We are all heading the same direction with this comparison, just taking different roads to get there.

I do believe any drop off in points because Hornqvist moves away from Crosby and to Geno will be more than made up for by putting Kessel with Crosby. Yes, I meant total point production of both lines.

Fair enough. It's good to see you say it now. I happen to disagree but there's no way of knowing until we try it.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

One of sids first highlight reel plays was a spinning backhand assist to palffy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad