GDT: HFBoards | 3/1/21 | Pinch and a punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah, speaking of the too many men, it was called when the puck was at the other end of the ice. There isn't even footage of it because it was so far behind the actual play.

Not sure how too many men is supposed to be called, but when there's no video of it because it didn't come close to actually affecting the play?

I mean it's discretionary if I remember right. Don't think it really matters if it affected the play or not many times it happens away from the play.

But you know I'm all for admitting they probably let shit slide on us but the more we split hairs about the reffing the more I'm gonna wanna talk about how Foligno went skate to skate on Fleury in the crease on MIN's second goal.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
everyone but you and some blinds fans know this. This has been Kosko's game all year. Back breaking goals on the first shots of the game.

the leafs were gifted this game, saying that doesn't take anything away from the leafs, but lets be honest here, they didn't need to play offence tonight. Kosko made sure of that. 6'7 goalie that plays like he is 5'3. Those back breaking goals deflated the oilers, no doubt. Full marks to leafs, but lets not pretend they were gifted this game.
No, everyone will have their own opinions. Yeah, the Oilers lost. No need to make excuses. There is another game Wednesday, and it will be a good good contest.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean it's discretionary.

But you know I'm all for admitting they probably let shit slide on us but the more we split hairs about the reffing the more I'm gonna wanna talk about how Foligno went skate to skate on Fleury in the crease on MIN's second goal.

You got anything else?

Cause I remember several hooks that went uncalled, a high stick at the end, at least two slashes (including one that actually broke a stick), and an interference. The phantom too many men is just the cherry on top.

That was the most one-sided officiated game all season, and we've played LA 7 times.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You got anything else?

Cause I remember several hooks that went uncalled, a high stick at the end, at least two slashes (including one that actually broke a stick), and an interference. The phantom too many men is just the cherry on top.

That was the most one-sided officiated game all season, and we've played LA 7 times.
Well considering that goal could've been called back and tilted the momentum in Minny's favor, it strikes me as significant. But I certainly didn't come here to whine about it. I accepted it was the reality and kept watching to see how we could respond.

Like I said, I was too focused on how frustrated I was with our defensive breakdowns to pay attention to things we might have gotten away with. So you may be right, you may be wrong. I don't know. But sometimes them's the breaks no? I don't doubt Minnesota could've benefitted from a couple powerplays, maybe. I mean Vegas' PK is pretty high up on the rankings. But in the end isn't the most important factor what a team does to hold off a team trying to erase a lead? Minnesota went 9 minutes without a shot on goal and did little to break up Vegas' passing game. I mean I guess you can make the argument that a powerplay for the Wild could've disrupted the charge but they didn't get one. So who is the onus upon to maintain the lead?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I mean it's discretionary if I remember right. Don't think it really matters if it affected the play or not many times it happens away from the play.

Then it should've been challenged. Probably would've been overturned because the alternative would've given you penalty :sarcasm:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well considering that goal could've been called back and tilted the momentum in Minny's favor, it strikes me as significant. Like I said, I was too focused on how frustrated I was with our defensive breakdowns to pay attention to things we might have gotten away with. But sometimes them's the breaks no? I don't doubt Minnesota could've benefitted from a couple powerplays, maybe. I mean Vegas' PK is pretty high up on the rankings. But in the end isn't the most important factor what a team does to hold off a team trying to erase a lead? Minnesota went 9 minutes without a shot on goal and did little to break up Vegas' passing game. I mean I guess you can make the argument that a powerplay for the Wild could've disrupted the charge but they didn't get one. So who is the onus upon to maintain the lead?

I'm not talking about whose responsibility it is to maintain or erase a lead, I'm talking about whose responsibility it is to call penalties when there are penalties. It's one thing to be bad, but bad both ways. But the refs didn't do their job tonight, and it strictly benefitted the Knights at the Wild's expense. And that's unacceptable.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not talking about whose responsibility it is to maintain or erase a lead, I'm talking about whose responsibility it is to call penalties when there are penalties. It's one thing to be bad, but bad both ways. But the refs didn't do their job tonight, and it strictly benefitted the Knights at the Wild's expense. And that's unacceptable.
Strictly is debatable since your second goal could well have not counted. Maybe Fleury still wouldn't have been able to make the save absent the contact to his skate, but his pad certainly wasn't going to move locked with Foligno's and it happened in the crease. Granted, Vegas didn't challenge but the refs missed it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Strictly is debatable since your second goal could well have not counted. Maybe Fleury still wouldn't have been able to make the save absent the contact to his skate, but his pad certainly wasn't going to move locked with Foligno's and it happened in the crease. Granted, Vegas didn't challenge but the refs missed it.

Oh, I just re-watched the play you're talking about. Yeah, that wasn't a penalty. Foligno was bumped by Coghlan while he was playing the puck and Fleury didn't have possession, so it's not goalie interference. That's why your coach didn't challenge it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oh, I just re-watched the play you're talking about. Yeah, that wasn't a penalty. Foligno was playing the puck and Fleury didn't have possession, so it's not goalie interference. That's why your coach didn't challenge it.
I didn't say it was a penalty. I all but explicitly implied the goal shouldn't have counted. There's a difference. Goals can be nullified for contact in the crease even if there's no penalty on the play (and the standard there is that so long as the player made a reasonable effort to avoid contact, the goal will be upheld, but Foligno's kicking the leg out was an intentional attempt to get the puck in. The only reason it didn't get invalidated under the distinct kicking motion standard is the puck kicked in and bounced off his leg, which is legal). The goal that ensued was, in my view, illegitimate and it changed the make up of the game.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't say it was a penalty. I all but explicitly implied the goal shouldn't have counted. There's a difference. Goals can be nullified for contact in the crease even if there's no penalty on the play. The goal that ensued was, in my view, illegitimate and it changed the make up of the game.

Saying penalty was the wrong choice of word. There wasn't anything to call the goal off. It was a perfectly legitimate goal, which is why Fleury didn't make a fuss about it, and why your coach didn't challenge it. Go ahead and re-watch it. Coghlan initiates contact with Foligno, which causes the contact with Fleury, who didn't have possession of the puck. There was nothing to call back.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Saying penalty was the wrong choice of word. There wasn't anything to call the goal off. It was a perfectly legitimate goal, which is why Fleury didn't make a fuss about it, and why your coach didn't challenge it. Go ahead and re-watch it. Coghlan initiates contact with Foligno, which causes the contact with Fleury, who didn't have possession of the puck. There was nothing to call back.
That tiny bit of pressure to his back skate? Idk. Looked more like Foligno was lunging forward to get a redirect and lost his balance in the process as aided by Coghlan's contact. This isn't a case of a player being shoved into a goalie here. I find it hard to believe that a vet like Foligno could topple under such minimal contact without acts caused by his own volition and intent but whatever. Even were we to say the goal was legitimate. That's still 2 non technical penalties to zero.

Strikes me as much more of a case of inattentive refs than biased ones. That sucks, and it's not like Vegas hasn't seen its share of games where their opponents get a lion's share of infractions uncalled. But end of the day you work with what you're given.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I just find it odd that nothing similar to what Dumba or Zuccarello did happened at any other point during the game. It’s not like they were flying elbows or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad