Who is the Avs #1 Prospect?

• G - Justus Annunen - 2018 #64 - (3)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think Kovalenko is eligible based on our standards around here. I wouldn't have him near #1 though... people are vastly overrating his one good season in a weakened KHL. I'll be shocked if he ever ends up more than a meh 3rd liner and my expectation is he doesn't make it to 200 NHL games.

I’d rank him comparably to Foudy imo. Both are likely third line players, Kovy has produced at a higher level in a comparable league but a very different league. I think him becoming a third liner would be a massive win. I’d be very happy if we could start consistently churning out third liners with mid round picks.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I’d rank him comparably to Foudy imo. Both are likely third line players, Kovy has produced at a higher level in a comparable league but a very different league. I think him becoming a third liner would be a massive win. I’d be very happy if we could start consistently churning out third liners with mid round picks.
Foudy has a much better chance to be an NHLer IMO.

Reactions: Andrew Wiggin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If a team can consistently churn out 3rd liners with mid round picks, the depth issues get solved pretty easily. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I personally have Foudy higher.... much better skater, some positional versatility, shown more offense at a younger age, the growth has been a more consistent trend, and maybe as much as anything, he doesn't skate with his head planted down through the middle of the ice. :laugh:

Frankly though, after the top 3, it gets really meh really quickly. Splitting hairs between which guy might be a more impactful 3rd or 4th liner is what we will be doing.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kovalenko is indeed eligible, but since he ranked 16th last year I didn't think he was a candidate for the starting five.

Since we have some differences of opinion though, I'm going to add both Kovalenko and Foudy next round. After that we'll do one per round for a bit before eventually expanding to 10.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Great to see this started up again, though ranking these guys gives me a migraine. I think the top 5 prospects are fairly obvious plus Annunen and Kovy. After that it’s going to be very difficult.

It is tough but I’m going Ritchie first, I think he has the best upside. If they can actually get a right handed 2C with size out of him would be huge.

I believe Malinski will be eligible for MHH’s top 25 under 25 (just barely, and we haven’t talked about the date cutoff yet but I imagine folks will want him included) so watch out for that over there.

It would do Guly no favors to come over to the AHL too early, there seems to be a lack of support for Russians in Loveland and Europeans who sit around in the AHL aren’t graduating. I’d rather roll the dice with the Kovy path than that.

And it really doesn’t matter because I doubt he gets voted in but still I’d move to strike Shmakov from the list. He didn’t play a single game last year as far as I can tell, I have my doubts he even still plays hockey.

add Foudy, I’m going to vote for him early

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Just in terms of our top two defense prospects, if both hit their absolute top development potential would it be fair to say Behrens would be Ryan Ellis and Guly would be Quinn Hughes? Or because Guly skates in a similar manner (more power than effortless) would Makar be a more comparable player stylistically?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Just in terms of our top two defense prospects, if both hit their absolute top development potential would it be fair to say Behrens would be Ryan Ellis and Guly would be Quinn Hughes? Or because Guly skates in a similar manner (more power than effortless) would Makar be a more comparable player stylistically?
Comps can be tricky, but those are both fairly optimistic projections. Behrens doesn't have Ellis's jam or shot. I'd say a Rasmus Sandin like player would be a great case for Behrens.

Gulyayev is a little tougher to nail down. There's some Shattenkirk there. Maybe some Ghost.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think Kovalenko is eligible based on our standards around here. I wouldn't have him near #1 though... people are vastly overrating his one good season in a weakened KHL. I'll be shocked if he ever ends up more than a meh 3rd liner and my expectation is he doesn't make it to 200 NHL games.

Damn lol, I know you think the KHL swirled the drain, but that's some harsh criticism for what seems like a hard working player. I just hope he's a high motor 3 or 4RW with some sand paper that goes to the net.

I'll take that at this point lol.

If a team can consistently churn out 3rd liners with mid round picks, the depth issues get solved pretty easily. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I personally have Foudy higher.... much better skater, some positional versatility, shown more offense at a younger age, the growth has been a more consistent trend, and maybe as much as anything, he doesn't skate with his head planted down through the middle of the ice. :laugh:

Frankly though, after the top 3, it gets really meh really quickly. Splitting hairs between which guy might be a more impactful 3rd or 4th liner is what we will be doing.

I didn't notice that, sounds like a human highlight reel with how he's willing to piss people off. 🫢 🤣

Reactions: henchman21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad