Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Helleson here for me.

Werner and Annunen to be added.
Just give us a goalie option. PLEASE

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Helleson is more sound. He's a better skater, better positional defender, and much, much better passer (he's really underrated there... his passing is top notch). Meloche showed more offense and is a much meaner sort of defensemen. Years ago it was thought that Meloche could develop as a two way threat as his skating improved. With that, he projected higher up the lineup that you'd project now. The skating hasn't quite come around, nor has the offense (though he has proven that he won't be a blackhole... which Helleson hasn't). Long story, short... Meloche looked like a risky, but potential top pairing guy with 2 way upside if things fell into place. He had plenty of warts and those are holding him back now... it is unlikely he gets even close to that now. Helleson does not look like a potential top pairing 2 way guy. He looks like a safer middle pairing defensively slanted guy, who may not be a black hole defensively. I've used this before, but think prime, not injury prone Tanev. Maybe a touch more offense.

Thank you for the in-depth information I really appreciate it!

I’m still gonna go Meloche here as I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities he can still become a #4 dman and due to my own familiarity, but I can now see why people select Helleson.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Unless I’m missing something didn’t Helleson’s production go down this season? I think he has a lot of questions about his offense to answer before pegging his upside.

This has to be just statline watching... I think you need to gain some context within this. Helleson moved from the U17 team to the U18 team this year. On the U18 team he got very little PP time behind York, Fensore, and Warren. I don't recall off hand exactly the numbers, but when York moved to the U18 team late last season... Helleson got PP time and his production exploded. It was like 16 or 17 points in the last two months of the season including the playoffs (where he was the #1 reason the U17 team won their series against Chicago). Back on the U18 team this year with York, his role was changed back to being a shutdown guy with little to no PP time (he really only got it in blowouts). Now none of this is saying he's going to be a 30 point guy, that is very, very unlikely. He may not even have enough offense to top 20 points consistently (again like Tanev), but that isn't his game. His game is smart, quick puck movement and transition, and playing smart positional defense. The word you always hear about Helleson is unselfish... he simply doesn't play the game to rack up points. He plays the game in a real team oriented manner.

Now when we are talking in comparison to Meloche... what has Meloche shown to say that he will be a 20-25+ point NHL guy? I think we can say that neither Meloche nor Helleson are going to be in the NHL because of their offense... they are going to be defensive guys that can support offensive defensemen and play a role on the PK while hopefully not being a black hole offensively. But even if they are a black hole at the NHL level, they can hopefully still be bottom pairing guys like Nemeth.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really hope New-Meloche or Helleson-classic hits; even if just as EJ-replacements on the third pairing & PK. Ultimately I don't think we'll polish either of them into quality top 4 guys if we even get NHLers out of them...leaving Timms as the only (potential) internal top 4 solution...but I'm still rooting for French Nic.

Reactions: flyfysher

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I believe Meloche will turn into a very good bottom pairing D, that will make a hell of pairing with Z someday.

add Werner and Beaucage.

Reactions: flyfysher

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
zanyanyharborseal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad