Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LW - Cam Morrison - 2016 #40 - (14)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Vlad Kamenev wins out in a divided field to fall one spot in the rankings. Igor Shvyrev and Cam Morrison added.

PositionPlayerDraft2019 Rank2018 RankChange
RDCale Makar2017 #41 (96.7%)10
LDBowen Byram2019 #42 (98.1%)--
CAlex Newhook2019 #163 (60.0%)--
RDConor Timmins2017 #324 (57.8%)3-1
RWMartin Kaut2018 #165 (92.6%)2-3
CShane Bowers2017 #28 (TR)6 (76.6%)4-2
CVladislav Kamenev2014 #42 (TR)7 (52.1%)6-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's getting tough for me, I'm voting for Helleson over Meloche because I see a higher ceiling for him despite him being 2-3 years away.

Add Henry and Annunen I guess, Annunen probably has the highest ceiling of any prospect we have at that position.

Reactions: flyfysher

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Is Helleson a better prospect than Meloche was at the same age? What are the major differences between the two players?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is Helleson a better prospect than Meloche was at the same age? What are the major differences between the two players?
Helleson is more sound. He's a better skater, better positional defender, and much, much better passer (he's really underrated there... his passing is top notch). Meloche showed more offense and is a much meaner sort of defensemen. Years ago it was thought that Meloche could develop as a two way threat as his skating improved. With that, he projected higher up the lineup that you'd project now. The skating hasn't quite come around, nor has the offense (though he has proven that he won't be a blackhole... which Helleson hasn't). Long story, short... Meloche looked like a risky, but potential top pairing guy with 2 way upside if things fell into place. He had plenty of warts and those are holding him back now... it is unlikely he gets even close to that now. Helleson does not look like a potential top pairing 2 way guy. He looks like a safer middle pairing defensively slanted guy, who may not be a black hole defensively. I've used this before, but think prime, not injury prone Tanev. Maybe a touch more offense.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
LOC is 22, so yes, he counts. I kind of forgot about him, but he had a really good year with the Eagles.

Yeah he really did. Exactly the kind of year you hope to see from a kid like him transitioning to the pros honestly. Got better as the year went on.

I dont think he has a tonne of upside, but I dont think anyone else really has a tonne of upside left in the pool now outside of Kovalenko, Shvyryov, and Henry. And in both Shvy and Henry's cases I dont see them remotely reaching that 2nd line upside I think they have.

But with O'Connor I think he projects as a bottom 6 Center well and I think he has the tools to reach that level very soon. I thought he had a great albeit brief showing in the NHL last year and his AHL game seemed to really take off after that stint so to me that's exactly what you want to see.

EDIT: Just to add to this a little. In O'Connors first 30 games in the AHL he had 9G, 7A for 16 points in 30 games and averaged 2.53 Shots per game. In his 34 games after his NHL stint he had 10G, 16A for 26 points in 34 games as well as averaging 2.88 Shots per game.

So he saw a big change in his production after returning, and an improvement in the shots he was taking as well. That's the exact type of stuff you want to see from a young kid like that after getting a taste in the NHL IMO.

Long story short I like him and like his chances of being a future NHL player for us in a bottom 6 role. Even in an extremely competitive landscape that right now includes the likes of Bowers, Kamenenv, Greer, Kaut, and Dries all trying to earn an NHL roster spot, and on an NHL roster that has a number of established quality veterans like Wilson/Nieto/Calvert/Bellemare already penciled into that lineup.

Last edited:

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Yeah he really did. Exactly the kind of year you hope to see from a kid like him transitioning to the pros honestly. Got better as the year went on.

I dont think he has a tonne of upside, but I dont think anyone else really has a tonne of upside left in the pool now outside of Kovalenko, Shvyryov, and Henry. And in both Shvy and Henry's cases I dont see them remotely reaching that 2nd line upside I think they have.

But with O'Connor I think he projects as a bottom 6 Center well and I think he has the tools to reach that level very soon. I thought he had a great albeit brief showing in the NHL last year and his AHL game seemed to really take off after that stint so to me that's exactly what you want to see.
You don't think Helleson has upside? Just curious why?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Meloche.

Completely underrated. Excellent training camp last year, bumped up and down from the AHL/ECHL due to the shared ownership and when settled played solid D. I believe he might get a chance this season with the injuries/Barrie traded. Helleson has the greater upside, but he is the latest shiny toy that is years away that might be better than Meloche today.

Reactions: avsfan09

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Meloche over Helleson by a hair. I need to see a bit more from Helly.

Add Shvy and Werner.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You don't think Helleson has upside? Just curious why?

I admittedly know very little on him, not enough to be comfortable evaluating him. But from the little bit I do know, I dont think he has the same kind of upside as I do Kovalenko/Shvy/Henry. I see all of those guys as potential 50+ point forwards in the NHL(Though it is far more likely for Shvy and Henry that they never play an NHL game).

Basically in a vacuum I value 50+ point players over #4D. I'd actually rank Helleson higher than Henry and Shvy in this poll though because again I think they are both major longshots for the NHL at this point.

If that makes any sense?

Reactions: Makar to MacK

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Unless I’m missing something didn’t Helleson’s production go down this season? I think he has a lot of questions about his offense to answer before pegging his upside.

So my vote is Meloche, he rounds out the tier for me. I’ve always believed in his talent so my vote is for that.

If we are adding a goalie I’d choose Werner, he’s the one with a NHL contract. It’s a big year for Annunen, he could jump ahead next year but he’s got some things to realize.

If we are adding a forward I’d choose either Nick Henry or Ty Lewis, just depends if you like benefit of the doubt vs. experience.

Reactions: Perratrooper

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

EDIT: Just to add to this a little. In O'Connors first 30 games in the AHL he had 9G, 7A for 16 points in 30 games and averaged 2.53 Shots per game. In his 34 games after his NHL stint he had 10G, 16A for 26 points in 34 games as well as averaging 2.88 Shots per game.

So he saw a big change in his production after returning, and an improvement in the shots he was taking as well. That's the exact type of stuff you want to see from a young kid like that after getting a taste in the NHL IMO.

Long story short I like him and like his chances of being a future NHL player for us in a bottom 6 role. Even in an extremely competitive landscape that right now includes the likes of Bowers, Kamenenv, Greer, Kaut, and Dries all trying to earn an NHL roster spot, and on an NHL roster that has a number of established quality veterans like Wilson/Nieto/Calvert/Bellemare already penciled into that lineup.

I went to a couple of Eagles PO games. I know the names but hadn't really followed their players. The one Eagles player that stood out to me was LOC.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
This is one of those votes where I'm taking Helleson because he hasn't had the chance to not make progress yet.

Add Werner and Fatso.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad