HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll #3

Who is the Avs #3 Prospect?

• D - Drew Helleson - 2019 #47 - (New)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It’s Newhook first, then Kaut, followed by Timmins for me.

Timmins: Very, very encouraging to hear his progress at rookie mini camp. I’m still very hopeful he can be a solid NHL defenceman, but the injuries leave him a little behind where he otherwise would be.

Kaut: He didn’t dominate the AHL last year, but provided enough production to still warrant optimism. 6’2 with a defensively responsible side to his game, I see a lot of value in that. The only thing that holds me back from putting him over Newhook is I think Newhook has higher upside.

Newhook: As long as he develops reasonably well in college he’s going to be a great fit for the Avs roster. Sakic has definitely put an emphasis on skating with a lot his high picks and this guy is going to add another element to the speed throughout our lineup. While his floor might be lower than Kaut’s his upside is really high because of his skating and natural skill level. And he’s a centre, which gives him a little added value. Hopefully he’ll slot in as our 3rd line centre next year, then take over for Kadri on the second line when his contract expires.

It’s great to finally have multiple prospects in the system that we can get excited about.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Which is fair. I could honestly see any of the 4 being voted here depending on preferences.

I would want to see the offensive upside that I think is there to start being displayed more. Until that point, he's in the next tier. Helleson is a bit of a weird one, and it comes down to faith in your eyes vs seeing results. So many I know think there is something there, it just needs to be built up. The more results oriented you are, the less you see in Helleson.

Agreed. I think he has the tools to be a good 2nd pairing D, how his offense develops will dictate if his ceiling is #3 or #4.

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
Kaut and Newhook are super close for me. I went Kaut simply because I expect him to make it onto the big club at some point this year.

Is there an age cutoff for prospects? If Franco is still considered a prospect, I'd say we need to add Pavel.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kaut and Newhook are super close for me. I went Kaut simply because I expect him to make it onto the big club at some point this year.

Is there an age cutoff for prospects? If Franco is still considered a prospect, I'd say we need to add Pavel.
Age cutoff is 24, so Francouz isn't eligible.

Reactions: Tru

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Suggesting Timmins upside is that of a #4D is not accurate at all.

Timmins hal #1D upside. I dont think he hits that level but he has that ability. With his size and skating ability combined with high end IQ on both ends of the ice he could if everything went well be a #1D. No doubt in my mind and I think the Avs look at it that way as well.

Now I'm no expecting that from him. I am expecting/hoping for more along the lines of a #2 guy guy who's great defensively and can add some offense as well, similar to what Brett Pesce or Jeff Petry are now.

And with Kaut it's more of the fact I see him as at least a Top 9 guy with his skill set and an upside of a quality 2nd line winger. Whereas with Newhook I have legitimate concerns about him busting completely and his ultimate upside is only that of a 2C IMO.

I agree, but I put Newhook at 3 because misses a reference season

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It’s been decided already so it doesn’t matter but there is such a difference in where Newhook and Kaut are with their games right now. (And I don’t just automatically give the nod to proximity to the NHL like in the AHLers’ case.) There’s a reason why it took Newhook all year to look comfortable with his peers at the U18 level when he finally did this spring vs. Kaut who has played vs men for 2.5 years and showed well at the WJC for two years already. Seeing them on the ice together only enhanced this opinion.

Reactions: Tru and McMetal

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It’s been decided already so it doesn’t matter but there is such a difference in where Newhook and Kaut are with their games right now. (And I don’t just automatically give the nod to proximity to the NHL like in the AHLers’ case.) There’s a reason why it took Newhook all year to look comfortable with his peers at the U18 level when he finally did this spring vs. Kaut who has played vs men for 2.5 years and showed well at the WJC for two years already. Seeing them on the ice together only enhanced this opinion.
I'd argue Newhook looked more than "comfortable" at the U18's. He was among Canada's best 3 forwards at the very least if not equal with Krebs.

Reactions: Foxtail

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
How about Kauts production in back to back WJC against players his age he is a top line top PP player at slightly less than point per game on weak Czech teams save for a couple players

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How about Kauts production in back to back WJC against players his age he is a top line top PP player at slightly less than point per game on weak Czech teams save for a couple players
Weak teams mean more opportunities and more scoring. Being a top line play on a weaker team doesn’t mean they are better than a 4th liner on Canada. Gatiyatov killed this year in the WJC... doesn’t mean he is better than most prospects on other teams, including Kaut.

I don’t think people doubt much that Kaut will be a NHL player. Just where he slots and what people value. IMO Kaut’s ceiling is a solid 2nd line player. A 50 point guy with some two way upside. More likely is a 40 point guy who is more middle 6 than true 2nd line. AHL production is kind of a funny thing now. It used to be anything at a 19 year old was good, but it has been shown that if that players is a top line sort... they produce early. Fairly rare that a future top line guy doesn’t have a strong rookie season. That doesn’t mean it is impossible, just against the trend. Eye test with Kaut there isn’t high end skill either. That also doesn’t stop him from being a top line guy (Landy isn’t high end skill), but it is another notch. I think there are always elements of people seeing what they want to see in players. It is a natural human thing. You look for all signs ‘your guy’ is going to be successful. Looking at WJC stats while avoiding a larger AHL sample is a part of that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I dont think Kaut has realistic top line upside.

I do think if things go well he has a touch more upside then 50 points but I'd label him as a 55-60 ceiling guy with 25-30 goal upside.

I think the most likely result is a Top 9 guy who can chip in ~20 Goals and 40-45 points. Basically a good 3rd wheel on a 2nd line or line driver on the 3rd line. A valuable player to have especially for a team like us that has the superstar power already but needs more quality depth. Kaut should provide that for cheap in the next 2 years.

Reactions: cgf and UncleRisto

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
I would love for these threads to be started without a poll and have it added a day later so people can read and take part in the discussion before voting. Could be a bit more interesting and engaging that way.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah I dont think Kaut has realistic top line upside.

I do think if things go well he has a touch more upside then 50 points but I'd label him as a 55-60 ceiling guy with 25-30 goal upside.

I think the most likely result is a Top 9 guy who can chip in ~20 Goals and 40-45 points. Basically a good 3rd wheel on a 2nd line or line driver on the 3rd line. A valuable player to have especially for a team like us that has the superstar power already but needs more quality depth. Kaut should provide that for cheap in the next 2 years.
I like Kaut a lot but just like others I don't see him as a 1st line W as far as production is concerned. However I do think he could be used quite often on the 1st line but as a complementary player. For example he could be a good fit on the top line to provide scoring, board play, speed and defense.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I would love for these threads to be started without a poll and have it added a day later so people can read and take part in the discussion before voting. Could be a bit more interesting and engaging that way.
You can always change your vote, I always leave that option in there on purpose in case things change. It's kind of important to keep the thread up for only two days, otherwise it would drag on for too long by the time we get to the honorable mentions.

Reactions: Tweaky and cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad