Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll 2021 #8

Who is the Avs #8 Prospect?

• C - Colby Ambrosio - 2020 #118 - (14)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Shane Bowers - 2017 #28 (TR) - (7)

• C - Andrei Buyalski - 2021 #92 - (New)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If Ranta is ahead of Malstev, why is Malstev penciled in as a 4th line player and Ranta a callup? Shiny new toy syndrome?
They traded for him and Sakic said he’s starting as the 4C. Guys who have NHL experience in other orgs always get a long look.

I found an interview in Russian from Maltsev, he says he prefers center and likes to PK. Avs always take experienced guys and have them PK regardless if they have experience PKing before or not, so I’d pencil him in there.

Maltsev also said he was surprised by the trade but not surprised it was Colorado as he knew the Avs contacted his agent earlier this year. He also said he’s really good friends with Alexi Gusarov’s son...who happens to be an Avs scout. So yeah...

The only real question is how long is the leash. As a waiver exempt guy they can send him down with ease so he’s easier to cut bait with than some others.

Reactions: MaKarter and Avsboy

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What do you think of Maltsev as a 4th line C though? You mention he may not become anything more than a 4th liner but does that mean he absolutely is that now? BTW this has nothing to do with the prospect rankings. Just curious what you think of the guy we added since you took the time to specifically watch him
I don’t want to sound too negative on Maltsev because I’m not. Hard to say about him as a center because he really didn’t play that in New Jersey but I don’t think he’ll be terrible at it either. I guess it depends who the Avs play him with if there’s any upside there. I think he can solidly be a 4th liner but I also don’t think there’s a real definitive line between that and those guys in the AHL. Maltsev looks like a guy who isn’t naturally try hard but had it beat in him that’s his ticket to sticking around. He’s kind of the Kamenev 2.0 for the Avs with a little different skill set. Not sure if that answers it but I think he’ll be fine in that role.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maltsev mostly played center in the AHL and developing in Russia… very limited in the NHL. I think he’s much better at center than wing simply because of board play and keeps his attention better… also takes better advantage of his skating. He’ll get his run there, but pretty much a make or break year for him in NA.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Behrens all the way. I have him higher than the polls though.
My personal top 10 would be

1) Bowen Byram
2) Alex Newhook
3) Justin Barron
4) Oskar Olausson
5) Sean Behrens
6) Drew Helleson
7) Jean-Luc Foudy
8) Mikhail Maltsev
9) Sampo Ranta
10) Martin Kaut

HM: Annunen, Bowers