Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll 2021 #8

Who is the Avs #8 Prospect?

• C - Colby Ambrosio - 2020 #118 - (14)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Shane Bowers - 2017 #28 (TR) - (7)

• C - Andrei Buyalski - 2021 #92 - (New)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Jean-Luc Foudy wins a narrow two-way race to jump one spot and land at #7 on the polls.

1) Bowen Byram
2) Alex Newhook
3) Justin Barron
4) Oskar Olausson
5) Martin Kaut
6) Drew Helleson
7) Jean-Luc Foudy

Added Andrei Buyalski.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's Rambo Santa's turn finally. He had a great season and deserves a jump in the rankings.

Add Wingerli again.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Can I get more info on Maltsev? Is his ultimate upside as a fourth liner? He paced 22 points as a fourth liner on a bad team, could he become a 30 point player who plays well defensively?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can I get more info on Maltsev? Is his ultimate upside as a fourth liner? He paced 22 points as a fourth liner on a bad team, could he become a 30 point player who plays well defensively?
Maltsev has physical skills that project higher than a 4th liner... more of a question of if he has the ability to change up his game to stick in NA.

Behrens again. Eventually I am going to be right right? right?

My bet is Ranta wins this... lots of sleeping on Behrens here.

Reactions: S E P H

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Maltsev has physical skills that project higher than a 4th liner... more of a question of if he has the ability to change up his game to stick in NA.

My bet is Ranta wins this... lots of sleeping on Behrens here.

So what separates him and Ranta besides age? Does Ranta have that much higher of a ceiling?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So what separates him and Ranta besides age? Does Ranta have that much higher of a ceiling?

Maltsev has a touch more skill (I wouldn't say there is a huge difference, but it exists), much better IQ, and positional versatility. Maltsev is worse on the boards, less physical, and has less of a motor. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference between them. Maltsev should be a bottom 6 (more 4th liner than 3rd... but 3rd not out of the question) guy with my question being more about him fitting into NA style hockey and wanting to stick around the NHL. I don't see him as a guy who can get to a 2nd line level ever. Ranta has the capability to be a 3rd wheel, crash the net sort of 2nd liner... but not really a guy you'd want there on a good team. I like Ranta better and Maltsev is in a tier below him. I like Maltsev better than Kaut though.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m going to continue to put my faith in the pro scouts over the amateur scouts and take Maltsev.

Also… when @McMetal sees me say, ‘add Makar.’

upload_2021-8-16_13-59-52.gif

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Between Behrens, Ranta, and Annunen here and its crapshoot. I will go with Behrens since he likely has the highest upside even if it is the lowest chance of actually happening. Annunen is likely a back up goalie at best now I would guess, he needs a big year to show that is even possible.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Sampo should have been voted in at number 4 but nice to see he might finally go off the board.

Maltsev will absolutely play for the Avs, those thinking he’s just AHL depth LOL. I have a problem with thinking he’s a prospect, he’s from another org and he spent the whole season in the NHL. He’s probably getting voted in before I vote for him. Maybe he can solidify as a bottom six guy and get an extension or be another failed experiment, we’ll see. I watched back some Jersey games, I liked his improvement but hoping for more than 4th line idk. He’s not much more than a basic passer, loves to shoot but not a great shot. Should fit in real well with LOC but hopefully those two can stay above the mendoza line.

I like Behrens a lot, he’s probably my next vote but he has a big task ahead of him to step up to the NCAA. I think he’ll do well but he has to do it first.

Add Miner

Reactions: PAZ

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Don't forget your votes for who to add next!

I feel like we're reaching the end of a tier here, Behrens is the last one I'd consider in this tier of prospects, after that I think it opens up again.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Sampo should have been voted in at number 4 but nice to see he might finally go off the board.

Maltsev will absolutely play for the Avs, those thinking he’s just AHL depth LOL. I have a problem with thinking he’s a prospect, he’s from another org and he spent the whole season in the NHL. He’s probably getting voted in before I vote for him. Maybe he can solidify as a bottom six guy and get an extension or be another failed experiment, we’ll see. I watched back some Jersey games, I liked his improvement but hoping for more than 4th line idk. He’s not much more than a basic passer, loves to shoot but not a great shot. Should fit in real well with LOC but hopefully those two can stay above the mendoza line.

I like Behrens a lot, he’s probably my next vote but he has a big task ahead of him to step up to the NCAA. I think he’ll do well but he has to do it first.

Add Miner
What do you think of Maltsev as a 4th line C though? You mention he may not become anything more than a 4th liner but does that mean he absolutely is that now? BTW this has nothing to do with the prospect rankings. Just curious what you think of the guy we added since you took the time to specifically watch him

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If Ranta is ahead of Malstev, why is Malstev penciled in as a 4th line player and Ranta a callup? Shiny new toy syndrome?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If Ranta is ahead of Malstev, why is Malstev penciled in as a 4th line player and Ranta a callup? Shiny new toy syndrome?
Maltsev is older, and mostly a finished product. Ranta has some polishing still to do, but has a higher ceiling. I can understand voting for Maltsev here, as he is going to definitely be in the starting lineup, but Ranta had a really good season and flashed signs that he could be more. Like I said though, he needs some time still to cook in the AHL and round out his offensive game at the pro level, that's more of why he's just a callup at this point.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I'm quite worried about Maltsev because he barely PK'ed in New Jersey and apparently defensive play isn't his strength. Not really the ideal fourth liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad