HF Retro Game of the Year - 2005 - Civilization IV Wins!

Game of the year back in 2005?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Okay, preliminary 2004 list:

There are A LOT of quality games in 04, narrowing this down might be a tad difficult :dunce:
Though I think the potential winner is already on the list above so probably not a huge deal.

Counter-Strike: Source
Doom 3
Far Cry
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Half-Life 2
Halo 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Paper Mario: The Thousand-year Door
Pikmin 2
Rome: Total War
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Unreal Tournament 2004
World of Warcraft
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'm only including KOTOR II because I think a number of people might vote for it. Were I writing the list from scratch I probably wouldn't include it. It wasn't as highly thought of at the time as it is now and it was made better later by substantial patching both from devs and fans.

If there's something not on there ya really wanna vote for let me know, cause I can easily see cutting 3-5 of the games on the list above and swapping them out.

Escape from Butcher Bay was real good.

But yea this is WoW's year. Made the next few years of games irrelevant.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
It probably will be, Medieval TW got a lot of votes and it's pretty similar. Plus I might even vote for it though between it and UT is pREEEEETY tough.
Oh man, Medieval 2 was so good. But I was young and too stubborn to learn the differences to I probably played Rome 4x as much over the years.

Looking forward to throwing my vote away on it haha.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Civ IV was fantastic. I really thought RE4 was going to win when I first saw the listing of games though.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Okay, preliminary 2004 list:

There are A LOT of quality games in 04, narrowing this down might be a tad difficult :dunce:
Though I think the potential winner is already on the list above so probably not a huge deal.

Counter-Strike: Source
Doom 3
Far Cry
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Half-Life 2
Halo 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Paper Mario: The Thousand-year Door
Pikmin 2
Rome: Total War
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Unreal Tournament 2004
World of Warcraft
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'm only including KOTOR II because I think a number of people might vote for it. Were I writing the list from scratch I probably wouldn't include it. It wasn't as highly thought of at the time as it is now and it was made better later by substantial patching both from devs and fans.

If there's something not on there ya really wanna vote for let me know, cause I can easily see cutting 3-5 of the games on the list above and swapping them out.
I will personally cry if Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is not on this list. Top 3 video game for me of all time. I get it though if its not on there. I remember the day it came out. It came out the same day as Half Life 2 and it was a big deal because they both used the same engine where you could pick up things like coffee mugs on a shelf and stuff. AKA, irrelevant objects were intractable. Which was a big deal back then.

Also, I am not sure if lots of people would vote for it but Fable came out in 2004 also the original SW Battlefront which was great.

P.S. The first FarCry was terrible and I shun anyone who would vote for it over some of these great games. :laugh: And I am someone who absolutely loves just about every FarCry since then.

#PreparedToCry

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I will personally cry if Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is not on this list. Top 3 video game for me of all time. I get it though if its not on there. I remember the day it came out. It came out the same day as Half Life 2 and it was a big deal because they both used the same engine where you could pick up things like coffee mugs on a shelf and stuff. AKA, irrelevant objects were intractable. Which was a big deal back then.

That game really took off when the community rallied around fixing the many many bugs.

I'd have to go with KOTOR 2.

Who knew you could create such a dark Star Wars story? And such a compelling antagonist.

I've played it through 3 times or so.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
That game really took off when the community rallied around fixing the many many bugs.

Who knew you could create such a dark Star Wars story? And such a compelling antagonist.

I want so badly to vote for KOTOR 2. Just an incredible game, and one of my all time favourites.

Unfortunately, it's going up against World of Warcraft. :laugh:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

The community for VtM:B was incredible! I actually emailed one of the people that provided some of the techno music for the game and they were very personable. I ended up ordering a CD and they autographed some stuff. Pretty awesome. But yes the players of the game were good people. Still a few stragglers around and I know a couple people that still play it now and then. Sorry my brain is just flooding with memories now. Ill stop there haha.

I actually never beat KOTOR 2. There was just something about it that I didn't like. I loved the first KOTOR (except the ending... no, not the big reveal, that was cool! I hated the unlimited amount of bad guys coming for you until you find de wey. I think that's a cheap way to make a level difficult.)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I actually never beat KOTOR 2. There was just something about it that I didn't like. I loved the first KOTOR (except the ending... no, not the big reveal, that was cool! I hated the unlimited amount of bad guys coming for you until you find de wey. I think that's a cheap way to make a level difficult.)

It was a little bit more clunky than the original because I think it had greater ambition.

The game was ultimately rushed and it's a shame because the story is quite compelling when you get an understanding of it. It just wasn't executed perfectly unfortunately, leaving the player to sort of fill in the blanks in parts.

I think the original KOTOR had a tighter and more traditional story and the plot was a bit easier to follow going through the game.

Reactions: Lancer

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Kotor2 and HL2 are my all-time top 2 singleplayer games, this next vote will be excruciatingly difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad