HF Ranks video game soundtracks?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Hey everyone. Been listening to a lot of game music lately. Was wondering if there'd be any interest in doing this? I didn't see one listed in the HF Ranks thread in the entertainment forum, just one for actual games.

Voting (shout out to HF Ranks funniest characters thread for the format)

- PM me your top 10. They need to be ranked #1-#10. Your first place game soundtrack receives 10 points, 2nd will earn 9 points, down to #10 receiving 1 point.
- Discussion is encouraged, but please don't post your list in the thread. Let's try and keep it a mystery until reveal.
- I'll rank and point the listings in a spreadsheet that I'll post when voting is over.
- 1st tiebreaker will be most total votes, then most 1st place votes, then most 2nd place votes, etc.
- Deadline of October 7th (may end sooner if I stop getting submissions)

Question is: what do we consider a game soundtrack? All original music? Would a soundtrack like GTA III-V be accepted (mostly licensed music)? What about albums like the Distant Worlds (Final Fantasy compilation)?

Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any interest in this just go ahead and shoot some PM's.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Last time I suggested more specific ranks for the GE there wasn't much interest for whatever reason.

I'm willing to put a list in for this one if it gets going, you really need a good number of lists for it to work though or you just end up with a bunch of games that have 1 vote.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I can put a list together, I probably listen to more video game music than anyone on these boards lol.

No to licensed music.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
I've had two submissions so far. Is it poor form to post a link in the entertainment forum to see if we can get some decent participation?

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Mass Effect

Call of Duty 3 had some seriously epic music too, the last push in the game to win the war was goosebumps the whole way through and just the menu music would get me right in the mode to jump online in the days before perks and ranks and zombies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Are we talking strictly SONGS from Original Sound Tracks(OSTs) OR the entire OST as one entry? I.E #10 is Halo OST

If it's OST, Xenoblade Chronicles wins AINEC.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
not gonna put a list together but I remember NHL 2005 having a great soundtrack to me. lead by Franz Ferdinand's take me out.
also, the Spyro series had great music along with some Tony Hawk games.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Does anyone remember a game from a decade ago called the Stubbs The Zombie?

The game was OK, but the soundtrack was outstanding. All 50's and 60's pop songs covered by modern bands.

Some real gems in there. I'm not really that into oldies in general, but I love this set of covers. I still listen to that album from time to time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad