HF Ranks video game soundtracks?

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Only had one submission outside of myself, so I'll just call it a day on this. General soundtrack discussion?

Risk of Rain is spectacular if anyone hasn't heard it.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Only had one submission outside of myself, so I'll just call it a day on this. General soundtrack discussion?

Risk of Rain is spectacular if anyone hasn't heard it.

I can send something in the next couple of days.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
how about just post your top ten list in this thread?

1) Warcraft III
2) The Last of Us
3) KOTOR I and II
4) Halo OST
5) Vanilla WoW
6) Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
7) Sonic 3
8) MarioKart 64
9) Super Mario World
10) Warcraft II

(perhaps not coincidentally, this is pretty close to my list of ten favorite games)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I could put together a list but literally nobody else would vote for 7-8 of the soundtracks on it.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
My list:

1) Final Fantasy VI
2) Risk of Rain
3) Chrono Cross
4) Chrono Trigger
5) Shadow of the Colossus
6) Persona 4
7) Parasite Eve
8) Kingdom Hearts
9) I Am Setsuna
10) Earthbound

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Someone already said Skyrim, but man does that have an amazing soundtrack. The main theme is pretty good, but the actual soundtrack is incredible, so atmospheric and in tune with the game. Stuff like this when you're wandering around a snowy mountainside at night, the sky is clear the stars are out, its hauntingly beautiful

For main themes, I much prefer Morrowind's. Every time I hear it, just takes me right back to getting off that boat in Sedya Neen

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This is my personal favourite list

Outside of #1, 2-9 are interchangeable.

#1 is just a slam dunk, 4 disc OST from xenoblade.

1: Xenoblade Chronicles

2: Marvel vs Capcom

Just love how the remixed songs, was awesome playing it in arcade as kid.

3: Final Fight

My favourite beat-em-up of all time, and best music as well

4: Mega Man X,X2,X3

Straight classics.

5: Battletoads and Double Dragon

Another great beat-em-up with a great sound track, only the SNES version though

6: Donkey Kong Country 2

I remember as kid being so bummed there was no Donkey Kong in this game but it was amazing.

7: Shadow of the Colossus

Still can't believe this was originally on the ps2, scale was incredible, even to this day.

8: Chrono Trigger

Favourite RPG

9: Final Fantasy 6

Best boss theme ever

10: Street Fighter 2

Every gamer can hum at least 1 theme from SFII

Hope yall enjoyed.

Cochese

Mar 14, 2008
The fact that neither Doom or Doom 2 has made its way into this discussion is an absolutely travesty. Disgusting.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Just want to remind people that Ishiwatari was once possessed by the ghosts of Dream Theater for a few minutes starting at 1:20.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I don't have a list, but Witcher III has a great soundtrack.

I suppose I could add some of the music eh?

1:14:44 was especially awesome for me. Ladies of the Wood. The Crones story line was great, the Crones are creepy, and the music just provided a fantastic atmosphere for a really cool story line.

Any song I heard while playing Gwent (the awesome in game card game) just super charged me. Love it.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The fact that neither Doom or Doom 2 has made its way into this discussion is an absolutely travesty. Disgusting.

Every Doom game imo, but yes, E1M1 is the most classic metal track in all of gaming history.

Descent 2 is probably my favorite OST of all time. Ogre from Skinny Puppy worked on a couple tracks and Type O Negative appeared on it as well. All of the Descent games had great music, but 2 takes the cake.

Also a big fan of Deus Ex (especially the UNATCO and Hong Kong themes), Forsaken, and Starcraft.

Newest OST to really "wow" me (besides the new DOOM) was probably Fallout 4. The Diamond City music is fantastic.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big fan of FF VII's soundtrack. In particular because "One Winged Angel" is my all-time favorite video game song. For an old-school game I would go Battle of Olympus on the NES and something more recent Bloodborne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad