Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 17th Overall

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
They are going with Frederik Gauthier - all signs point to it.

Murray mentioned 6'5'', wanting specialized players to fill rolls (shot down center like a Dave Bolland), they want size and players who can skate in all directions, Gauthier described as a 200 foot player and is french-canadian which has it's upsides in the Ottawa market.

If he's available they'll go with Gauthier.

Plus he is attending Harvard and Murray likes his college kids.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If one thing is for certain, Sens scouting staff will surprise us with whom they covet. Fans and draftniks have been collectively wrong on our first round picks for years, and it's not like our 1st round picks all have a lot of things in common. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and I'm sure they'll surprise the hell out of us, whatever they do. Certainly no one saw the Z-Bad-Noesen 1-2 in 2011. If someone had proposed that on these boards, they would have been no shortage of mocking and outrage at those selections.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If one thing is for certain, Sens scouting staff will surprise us with whom they covet. Fans and draftniks have been collectively wrong on our first round picks for years, and it's not like our 1st round picks all have a lot of things in common. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and I'm sure they'll surprise the hell out of us, whatever they do. Certainly no one saw the Z-Bad-Noesen 1-2 in 2011. If someone had proposed that on these boards, they would have been no shortage of mocking and outrage at those selections.

Noesen was out of left field, but Z-bad wasn't. Ceci was easy to guess last year, it's just we didn't think he would last. 2010 as well. No-one was surprised when the pick was traded, as the three guys we had all believed we were interested in (Skinner, Burmistrov, Forbort) were all taken.

There is no doubt our scouting staff makes shrewd picks, and many are not viewed as the norm (i.e Noesen), but in reality we usually have somewhat of a view of a few guys we covet.

VVS

Nov 22, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I'm really excited to see what Noesen ends up bringing to the team.

For this draft, I'm hoping for a goal-scorer. Besides Puempel (and who knows what's gonna happen with him), we don't have much in terms of guys that can put the puck in the net consistently.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
The difference with Mantha and Getzlaf though is that Getz showed glimses of passion and physicality which Mantha never does.

I take it you don't watch much of the QMJHL, do you?

The Q is a negative in my eyes too.

Why's that? Because the QMJHL is such a wild, pure-offence league? Because you refuse to let the QMJHL shake the stigma that it developed in the 80s and 90s? Teams this season, for the record, scored about seven more goals total than OHL teams. If you take out the statistical anomaly that was the Halifax Mooseheads out of the equation (they had 73 goals on the teams tied for second most), that drops to about one more goal per team per season.

Pundits say 'Sucks because he played in the QMJHL' ...

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Noesen was out of left field, but Z-bad wasn't. Ceci was easy to guess last year, it's just we didn't think he would last. 2010 as well. No-one was surprised when the pick was traded, as the three guys we had all believed we were interested in (Skinner, Burmistrov, Forbort) were all taken.

There is no doubt our scouting staff makes shrewd picks, and many are not viewed as the norm (i.e Noesen), but in reality we usually have somewhat of a view of a few guys we covet.

You're right about Zibanejad, in that he was invited here for a personal interview, but I think the bigger surprise to everyone was that he was invited over guys like Dougie Hamilton. And I do think most people were surprised we took him ahead of Couturier (certainly I was). Certainly the supposed "experts" were.

Dorion has since said, they learned a bit of a lesson just focusing on forwards with that top 10 pick. We already had Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad and Wiercioch in the mix, so they felt forward was a really pressing need (which it was). But he noted Murray surprised a lot of his scouts with the move for Turris, and it showed them they had to focus on the BPA. Plus, Wiercioch struggled the following season, so blueline became a bit of a weakness in the pipeline. He said they may still have taken Mika anyway, but that they didn't really focus on the blueliners in the top 10 at the time. Larsson wasn't invited for an interview either, although neither was RNH, so most felt it was due to the understanding he would be long gone when we picked.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca

Murray mentioned 6'5'', wanting specialized players to fill rolls (shot down center like a Dave Bolland), they want size and players who can skate in all directions, Gauthier described as a 200 foot player and is french-canadian which has it's upsides in the Ottawa market.

If that's the case I think Samuel Morin has raised his stock considerably. Very impressed with him. Just not sure that is what organization will be lokoing for with 1st rounder and no second.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You're right about Zibanejad, in that he was invited here for a personal interview, but I think the bigger surprise to everyone was that he was invited over guys like Dougie Hamilton. And I do think most people were surprised we took him ahead of Couturier (certainly I was). Certainly the supposed "experts" were.

Dorion has since said, they learned a bit of a lesson just focusing on forwards with that top 10 pick. We already had Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad and Wiercioch in the mix, so they felt forward was a really pressing need (which it was). But he noted Murray surprised a lot of his scouts with the move for Turris, and it showed them they had to focus on the BPA. Plus, Wiercioch struggled the following season, so blueline became a bit of a weakness in the pipeline. He said they may still have taken Mika anyway, but that they didn't really focus on the blueliners in the top 10 at the time. Larsson wasn't invited for an interview either, although neither was RNH, so most felt it was due to the understanding he would be long gone when we picked.

Ya that is understandable. I was pretty sure we would not be taking Couturier when it came out that Murray walked out in the middle of one of his playoff games poisoned about his work ethic. Agreed, I think they were taking a forward that year regardless. Strome being the number 1 choice, and Zib being the fallback plan.

DJB, I'm not sure why you have a grudge against the Q. I think we will see 2 or 3 players chosen by the Sens from the Q this year. Murray seems to like picking from close to home (Ottawa, Gatineau), and there are a plethora of guys that fit the Sens identity from the Q this year.

Also, does anyone have any information on the Sens news at the Combine? It started on Monday, and we usually have tidbits of information coming through.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
I take it you don't watch much of the QMJHL, do you?

Why's that? Because the QMJHL is such a wild, pure-offence league? Because you refuse to let the QMJHL shake the stigma that it developed in the 80s and 90s? Teams this season, for the record, scored about seven more goals total than OHL teams. If you take out the statistical anomaly that was the Halifax Mooseheads out of the equation (they had 73 goals on the teams tied for second most), that drops to about one more goal per team per season.

Pundits say 'Sucks because he played in the QMJHL' ...

Also the last three Memorial Cup champs have come out of the Q.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Ya that is understandable. I was pretty sure we would not be taking Couturier when it came out that Murray walked out in the middle of one of his playoff games poisoned about his work ethic.

:laugh: I must have missed that. I wonder if that happened after Section 3 guy actually succeeded in getting into a shouting match with Couturier when he was in the penalty box.

Coots scored a few goals in that series, but he was awful. The team, and especially the crowd had him so rattled... It was hilarious.

DJB, I'm not sure why you have a grudge against the Q. I think we will see 2 or 3 players chosen by the Sens from the Q this year. Murray seems to like picking from close to home (Ottawa, Gatineau), and there are a plethora of guys that fit the Sens identity from the Q this year.

It's because some people don't watch the Q, and they think that it's 1987.

Poirier would really fit well with the Sens identity. We don't call him 'Le Missile' for nothing!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Admittedly i don't know enough about him but from what i do know, there is a strong chance he becomes a 3rd liner and not a top 6 offensive player which is what we need imo. I have to do more research and watch more, but at this point i'd be wary of taking him this early at 17.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Admittedly i don't know enough about him but from what i do know, there is a strong chance he becomes a 3rd liner and not a top 6 offensive player which is what we need imo. I have to do more research and watch more, but at this point i'd be wary of taking him this early at 17.

He's ranked 18th by ISS and 8th in NA by CSS. I don't think it'd be that much of a reach and the logic is there to take him. I don't know much about him myself, but most info out there on him seems to be pretty complimentary.

Edit: These are decent reads.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/30/frederik-gauthier-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-21/
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Frederik-Gauthier

It's also worth noting that he was a rookie this year.

Last edited:

R2010

May 23, 2011
He's ranked 18th by ISS and 8th in NA by CSS. I don't think it'd be that much of a reach and the logic is there to take him. I don't know much about him myself, but most info out there on him seems to be pretty complimentary.

Edit: These are decent reads.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/30/frederik-gauthier-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-21/
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Frederik-Gauthier

It's also worth noting that he was a rookie this year.

He's also a 1995 and was clutch at the U18 being a force in the semi-final and the gold medal game (scored GWG). I find it funny for people to pretend that we know the true offensive upside of a guy who is one year removed from Midget AAA, especially one who was PPG in his rookie year.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He's also a 1995 and was clutch at the U18 being a force in the semi-final and the gold medal game (scored GWG). I find it funny for people to pretend that we know the true offensive upside of a guy who is one year removed from Midget AAA, especially one who was PPG in his rookie year.

It's not that we know what his offensive upside is, we're just projecting it in comparison with the other 1st rounders out there. As a centerman, it is a little tricky to project him though as a true scoring line center, given he doesn't really have a lot of dynamic elements to his game, either in terms of playmaking or one on one. He actually looks really polished when you watch him play, and plays quite a mature game, defensively in particular. So that's where the upside concerns come up, although nothing is paved in stone. He may yet round out his offensive game, but I don't see a guy finding elite vision or dynamic hands at the age of 18 or 19. Doesn't typically happen if they aren't already there., hence the hesitation in using a 1st on a guy like that.

But the real problem for me with him is he is pretty soft. He projects as a solid pro, but if he ends up as a soft 3rd line defensive forward, he will be useful, but there likely is a better piece to be at #17 IMO.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Do you mean distance courses or something, or do you have him mixed up with someone else?

I thought I read in the hockey news that Harvard had come calling for him. I may have misinterpreted him actually attending - but there is an offer from them too go there

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
If that's the case I think Samuel Morin has raised his stock considerably. Very impressed with him. Just not sure that is what organization will be lokoing for with 1st rounder and no second.

Thinking this as well.

Morin or Andre Burakovsky I think are two interesting ones that we may go for.

Gauthier, Pullok and Lazar are all good picks as well, but to me they are safer ones that don't thrill me as much :p

Hagg would be interesting as well.

Voted Morin

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
But the real problem for me with him is he is pretty soft. He projects as a solid pro, but if he ends up as a soft 3rd line defensive forward, he will be useful, but there likely is a better piece to be at #17 IMO.

He's soft? From what I've ready he's very strong in the corners, great at protecting the puck and big. The only knock I've read (in that sense) is that he doesn't use his physicality enough...but I've never seen him referred to as soft.

R2010

May 23, 2011
He's soft? From what I've ready he's very strong in the corners, great at protecting the puck and big. The only knock I've read (in that sense) is that he doesn't use his physicality enough...but I've never seen him referred to as soft.

Yeah me neither.

That being said I understand the negatives - he isn't dynamic offensively at this point. I am being presumptive in thinking that our development team could turn him into a monster. I just think that a guy with those two-way abilities and size and some untapped offensive ability could be turned into a very useful player by our team.

That being said it is not like I am overshooting his value too much - he is on the middle of my list for picks we have a chance at:

(1) Hunter Shinkaruk (Oct-1994, 5’11, 175)
(2) Alex Wennberg (Sept-1994, 6’1, 183)
(3) Bo Horvat (April-1995, 6’0, 194)
(4) Max Domi (March-1995, 5’10, 194)
(5) Frederik Gauthier (Late-April-1995, 6’5, 209)
(6) Adam Erne (April-1995, 6’1, 198)
(7) Kerby Rychel (Oct-1994, 6’1, 200)
(8) Anthony Mantha (Sept-1994, 6’4, 201)
(10) Andre Burakovsky (Feb-1995, 6’1, 179)
(11) Artturi Lehkonen (Jul-1995, 5’10, 163)
(12) Valentin Zykov (May-1995, 6’0, 210)

In this mock draft i'm surprised there aren't more Rychel votes - a goal scorer like him is who we need.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Haven't had a lot of time to watch junior hockey this year, so I'm not really sure yet who we should pick. I just know we need offense.

I wouldn't be shocked however, if Murray has the pick in play to either move up in the draft or trade out completely to try and get that top line forward. Would have to add to the pick obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad