Prospect Info: HF Mock Draft 11th Overall

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
The one Morrissey vote is BCF16. :) Right? RIGHT?!

(i wouldn't be opposed to trading back into the first to try and get him, Zad, or Pulock, if the circumstances were right -- and following this scenario, Nurse was selected at 11th)

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Nurse reminds me too much of Coburn. Only difference is he has a bigger mean streak. We have Luke Schenn and Grosmann. We don't need anymore big nasty defenseman. Look at the teams who HAVE that scoring defensemen, the Letang, Karlsson "4th forward" if needed, there's only like 3 or 4 of these defensemen in the entire league, Pulock is the CLEAR choice after Seth imo. He's got great puck awareness, a heavy shot, great on his feet, hits the net with his shots, can throw the body well when he needs to, great looking stick to stick passes no matter the distance, he's the 4th forward on the ice or the hitting defensemen, all around player.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Nurse reminds me too much of Coburn. Only difference is he has a bigger mean streak. We have Luke Schenn and Grosmann. We don't need anymore big nasty defenseman. Look at the teams who HAVE that scoring defensemen, the Letang, Karlsson "4th forward" if needed, there's only like 3 or 4 of these defensemen in the entire league, Pulock is the CLEAR choice after Seth imo. He's got great puck awareness, a heavy shot, great on his feet, hits the net with his shots, can throw the body well when he needs to, great looking stick to stick passes no matter the distance, he's the 4th forward on the ice or the hitting defensemen, all around player.

Thats his biggest problem and the reason why he is rated as a 10-15 player. His skating is pretty average at best. Seems to get beat a good amount when there are better skaters since he can't keep up with them. One of the main reasons that he scares me. If he had better defense and skating wasnt average he would be a top 5 pick. But like all players his weaknesses are what makes him not. Nurse is crazy athletic and can do it all. Skates well, hits, shoots, plays defense, etc etc. Only thing I can see people question is his "smarts".

Rolex

Jan 25, 2005
In past years, being able to play the body was as significant as any skill that a defenseman had. Now days, it seems to matter less. If a defender does that, they're off to the sin bin. Skating, shooting and passing trumps strength in front of the net. Mobile guys are at a premium. Hopefully the Flyers see this and take it I not account when they make their selection.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
The one Morrissey vote is BCF16. :) Right? RIGHT?!

(i wouldn't be opposed to trading back into the first to try and get him, Zad, or Pulock, if the circumstances were right -- and following this scenario, Nurse was selected at 11th)

It was me. I have a really good feeling about him. If we trade back and get him...all the better!

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I really like this kind of thread. I would suggest doing a 2nd round too!!

since I've given 2 days for the vote to take place(besides the blowout ones) I'm not gonna have time this year but next year I might try and shorten it to 24 hours and get close to being able to do a 2nd round. plus next year I will have extra time since playoffs start 2nd week of April

depositphotos_12490411-Young-nurse-pointing-the-index-finger-up-guiding-information-with-a-clipboard-isolated-on-white-back-ground.jpg

I clicked Nurse's name so much I have to seek medical attention for carpal tunnel syndrome.

Incidentally, thanks for starting this multi-board thread, DeMo. It is indeed an original idea. I am shocked by the results so far, though, especially Monahan at 5th, Ristolainen at 8th, Shinkaruk 9th and Wennberg 10th.

I was surprised by some of these aswell Wennberg had 1 more vote then Nurse, but Risto, Shinkaruk, Monahan votes weren't really all that close

SchennSational1022*

Nurse won't be there when we're drafting. If it's between huim and Pulock, I'll be pretty pissed if we pick Nurse, he's not what we need.

stuccoman

Nov 15, 2010
Port St Joe Florida
You're misunderstanding the premise here.

By this thought experiment-- Nurse is still on the board-- and you clearly select Nurse.

I got ya. I should have just said that I want Pulock, I agree with the other posters who feel we could use the offensive potential that he has. A good puck mover and a great powerplay shot sure would be nice.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Who do Nurse and Pulock compare to?

Nurse = playoff Coburn?

Pulock = Sheldon Souray?

I don't know. I picked Nurse simply because of his skating. Plus, I like his nastiness and am intrigued by what he could develop into. I don't want a guy who just has a good shot, Kurtis Foster has a good shot.

Nurse = Dion Phaneuf
Pulock = early Mike Green?

Last edited:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
went with big zadarov

could have gone nurse, but decided to scratch off the names that would not be their in real life and that was nurse. in nhl 14, i would have taken nurse, just wanted to keep it real.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Have I missed something that leads to people believing Nurse will drop 11th?

Well, in this experiment, the team fanbases of picks 1-10 passed on him.

Its not likely that he does, but it isn't impossible either. It really only requires a run on forwards and one team taking someone like Zadorov or Ristolainen or Pulock or Morrissey or whoever over Nurse.

I could easily see 8 forwards going in the top 10: Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Nichushkin, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, and then a "reach" (and I use that term loosely) to someone like Wennberg or Gauthier.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Went Nurse.

My feelings have evolved to (amongst the defensemen):

Jones
Risto
Nurse
Pulock
Zadorov

That said, I still firmly believe that one of the higher rated forwards slides. I know that everyone disagees now and that's fine, but I could easily see one of Monahan or Lindholm being there at 11 instead of Nurse.

This mock seems fine with the only real surprise (to me) coming at 10.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We need a puck mover, not another heart and soul talented, defensive minded defensemen. We have enough of them, Pulock fills a much better need than Nurse does.

Most of these kids won't be up for a of couple years anyway so you can't really say what we need. The roster will look different by the time they're ready. That's why you take what you think is the best player available not what you need.

Nurse isn't just defensive minded. He's good at both ends. Pulock might be really good offensively but he's poor defensively and has skating issues. The only real knock on Nurse is his hockey IQ.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad