OT: Hf Jets Shinny! River Heights? Come play!!

passnthru

Dec 5, 2011
I see they are flooding the outdoor sheet at Gateway this morning.
So we'll see it soon.
JP

Derfel*

They've been working on the Crescentwood rinks the past few weeks, I think they are leveling the ground? But the boards are prepped for the other space, I would assume another week?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not even sure where the rinks in Crestview will be. I'll have to look into that.

And we should try to set up a meet or something and get a little game going. :)

misterb

Mar 17, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm in for a a skate.

My guess is by this weekend some places will start opening their ice depending on how much time they've put I to it so far.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Question about making your own outdoor rink:

We have ice roads out at Ingolf (just inside the Ontario border) to all the cabins and I was thinking that since my boy will be old enough to skate this year I would like to shovel out a little rink for him on the ice.

How does everyone smooth over their ice surfaces? is it just flooding over an even surface? I would probably need some boards + leveling to make this work, i'm thinking.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm not even sure where the rinks in Crestview will be. I'll have to look into that.

And we should try to set up a meet or something and get a little game going. :)

Yesssss!

I have a couple friends that aren't the greatest skaters but really want to play.

You'll fit in great, HS :P

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Question about making your own outdoor rink:

We have ice roads out at Ingolf (just inside the Ontario border) to all the cabins and I was thinking that since my boy will be old enough to skate this year I would like to shovel out a little rink for him on the ice.

How does everyone smooth over their ice surfaces? is it just flooding over an even surface? I would probably need some boards + leveling to make this work, i'm thinking.

I haven't made ice on ice, but you could just use a hose and put some water over top. hot water would actually work pretty good if you can rig it, as it would melt and flatten the top layer.

Derfel*

I haven't made ice on ice, but you could just use a hose and put some water over top. hot water would actually work pretty good if you can rig it, as it would melt and flatten the top layer.

Exactly - when I made my rink a few years ago, that's exactly what we did - use a hose rigged from inside to get lukewarm water out to create the ice. A couple of days later, in below-zero weather, use warmer water and a few buckets of slightly salted water. Then over next day or two you can smooth it out with warm water and a squeegee.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Exactly - when I made my rink a few years ago, that's exactly what we did - use a hose rigged from inside to get lukewarm water out to create the ice. A couple of days later, in below-zero weather, use warmer water and a few buckets of slightly salted water. Then over next day or two you can smooth it out with warm water and a squeegee.

Perfect, thanks for the advice guys! I'm sure my boy will love it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Heritage Victoria. On Sturgeon Rd. Is a good one.

One of the best! 3 rinks and a skating rink so the non hockey players stay off!

SJF is really good too!

EDIT: OOPS! Was thinking of Sturgeon Heights on Rita. Heritage is good too but I don't often find peeps playing there.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Say what you want but the early cold chill was a blessing to all ice hockey fans. I wish I could get out for a HF Boards shinny game, but this won't be the year. I just had ACL/meniscus reconstructive surgery on account of my hockey passion. I'm able to skate in the next couple of weeks, but a long way from game shape. Maybe next year. I'd be easily recognizable as I like use my grandfather's old 1950's leather gloves, which I'm often told should be in the Hockey Hall of Fame. My goalie equipment is also old school, Cooper leather pads, blocker and glove. I nearly broke my hand in my last game of shinny, when I told the one guy to wire his best shot at me, and I gloved it down, but then he tells me he was clocked at 92 mph in the MJHL. Maybe I'll get some better equipment if I can ever make it out for some HF boards shinny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad