Speculation: HF Canuck’s fans interest falling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
There's getting tired of the team, and there's also getting tired of this forum. I barely come here these days, and in no small part due to people like this:

...who have to constantly lie, misrepresent and bash away at straw men. That's been the norm for years, and clearly isn't going to change any time soon. What the team is doing on the ice and online can be done indefinitely. There's always an excuse for everything. There's always another sock puppet spouting the company line. There's always another *Ryan Miller account, because apparently getting banned repeatedly should never stop a person from being able to post here. Nothing bad is ever under any circumstances Benning's fault or responsibility.

"We can't rebuild because the Sedins are here!"
"We can't rebuild because the fans won't allow a rebuild!"
"Benning can't get value for players on expiring deals because admitting the season's toast sends a bad message to the team!"
"The failed program was done by Linden and Aqualini!"
"Aqualini made Benning make the deal!" (Yeah, because no other NHL gm has to contend with an overinvolved owner...)
"Benning had to give X vet trade protection otherwise he wouldn't sign here!"
"Most of the bad contracts are up in just a couple of seasons! No, Benning totally won't sign more!"

We're now two or three seasons past the point where Benning said he hoped the Canucks would be up there with the elite teams in the league when he took over. It's nowhere near that. You can't even say it's reliably a playoff team. Blind faith and blind fanaticism isn't going to change that.

And I'm really sick and tired of people telling me what I'm seeing in front of my face isn't really there and I'm not a real fan if I see it.
These tales of coming glory are nothing but "Selling Hope", I believe a commentator has that book on his shelf, Button maybe?
I listened for years about Juolevi being THE PP QUARTERBACK, just buy tickets and wait and see, even in the face of several media icons such as MacKenzie saying he wondered if Juolevi would even make the NHL.

The market would not stand a rebuild is crap, why else did they stop the town halls? Most in attendance wanted a rebuild and they could not lie about it over and over.
Did they ever do a poll to see if fans would tolerate a total rebuild?

What happened here was the the team with a huge amount of help from the media stirred the fans into a MOB once at that level it was easy to steer them in any direction.

Well one thing is becoming more clear fans are not content with the status quo but what most fans don't realize is the pain that is needed to correct how bad this team is now. Up to 15 players will need to be replaced and there are not enough in the system to do so, the team will need drafts like Ottawa, Montreal, Vegas and a few other team had where they have 14 or 15 picks and can load up their system with like aged competitors and then get good complimentary players.
Fans are so used to seeing 40 to 50 losses a year that a couple of wins or players are grasped onto like their children.
No matter what any local fan thinks about Hughes, he is a one dimensional very small player. Sure he skates great and has superior offensive skills BUT he is horrible in the defence zone and he is not going to suddenly grow 3 inches or gain 30 lbs. The team likes to advertise he is 5'10", maybe in his shoes but he is closer to 5'8", just look at him when he stands beside Garrett who is 5'8". For international tournaments they give correct information about height and weight. The last one he was listed a 5'9" which means anywhere over 5'8 1/2" goes up to the next inch.
Hughes is a regular season attraction and will get worn down in true playoff hockey.
BUT for all that he can be an attractive trade asset with the notoriety he has be given and could get back another young defenceman with lesser offensive skills but superior defensive skills.
But then you go back to the media influencers.

Over 300 losses in Benning's tenure. But hey lets just go "day to day".

Yo know what, the fans can be influencers, 15 or 20 showing up in front of the arena with FIRE BENNING placards, a few wearing paper bags, maybe a clown or two to pantomime building a bridge that keeps falling apart and a huckster wearing a Benning mask selling "beach front property". I bet that would get immediate attention from sports starved radio and TV outlets. Some people could get their 5 minutes of fame.

Most long term fans know that to get out of this mess will take much more intellect than this management group that essentially has fired all who oppose Benning and he doesn't have a clue about the fans or just never cared.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Yo know what, the fans can be influencers, 15 or 20 showing up in front of the arena with FIRE BENNING placards, a few wearing paper bags, maybe a clown or two to pantomime building a bridge that keeps falling apart and a huckster wearing a Benning mask selling "beach front property". I bet that would get immediate attention from sports starved radio and TV outlets. Some people could get their 5 minutes of fame.
Do it then, show us fake fans who like to be positive what is up

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Its tough following a mediocre team, in a market that dictates total failure or complete success. I am following it, but why would most average fans bother? You need ownership that wants to pay for the best players in the league, and we have simply never had that in our 50 years of existence. Our GM is a puppet for ownership, make a deal Jim is the worst GM in the league. Makes the future horrific, whenever they trade their draft picks away. Its tough to enjoy hockey when there is barely ever a spark on the team, except when players are trying to earn a contract. Taking the fighting out of the game is taking the emotion out of the game, it is not the same intensity as twenty years ago. The game has evolved into greedy players, who have no real interest in winning a cup, just making a pay cheque. These are some of the many reasons why the interest is simply waning.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Its tough following a mediocre team, in a market that dictates total failure or complete success. I am following it, but why would most average fans bother? You need ownership that wants to pay for the best players in the league, and we have simply never had that in our 50 years of existence. Our GM is a puppet for ownership, make a deal Jim is the worst GM in the league. Makes the future horrific, whenever they trade their draft picks away. Its tough to enjoy hockey when there is barely ever a spark on the team, except when players are trying to earn a contract. Taking the fighting out of the game is taking the emotion out of the game, it is not the same intensity as twenty years ago. The game has evolved into greedy players, who have no real interest in winning a cup, just making a pay cheque. These are some of the many reasons why the interest is simply waning.

You can add in Bettman game management and refs - in additon to being incompetent - fixing games.

When I was 6 years old, I thought TV wrestling was real. I'm older now, and finally fully realizing that the NHL is not really different.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The only reason I follow the Canucks is because I stupidly still have a faint hope that they'll win a cup before I die. So long as they're taking steps towards getting closer to a cup I'm engaged. Proper rebuilding? Let's go! Young developing team? I'm there! Actually competing? This might finally be it!

What we've been doing during the last 7 years has been actively getting further and further away from ever winning a cup. The team is being mismanaged to an incredible degree and it's completely disheartening seeing the light at the end of the tunnel get further away each year.

Until this team has competent management I'm pretty checked out. The roster we assembled is a complete abomination. The cap space we're looking forward to is about to be eaten up entirely by Hughes and Petey. We're who knows how many years away from being a legit team and aside from Podkolzin we don't even have much in the cupboard.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Love this team with every bone in my body, can’t wait until we take on Winnipeg in the first round this may and get a chance to break the curse!! I just don’t chat in this shitty place as much lately.
You will have to wait at least 2 years for that to happen.

Reactions: TruKnyte

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Okay thats fair. I'm not telling you how to cheer for the team or whether or not you're a fan.

Also, don't tell people who want to be positive and optimistic that they are shills.

GO CANUCKS!!!
See? Lying again. You're lying about what I said. I never f***ing said people who want to be positive and optimistic are shills. You can't be honest with yourself or your fellow posters. I'm sick of shit like that.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
It was more of a general statement than directed at you. Please calm yourself. Just before I had a back and forth with some other user who insinuated anyone who posts positively on HIS HFBoards Canucks is obviously a shill, because some soccer team in Europe did it.

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
I see myself as a positive fan, but I just can't get into this team this year with FO and shit contracts. Thank god it is a pandemic no-fans in the stands' year. Makes it bearable.

It's definitely tough following a team playing so MEH.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
? What soccer team are you talking about? I haven’t seen any reference to that.
Perhaps it got removed but one poster was making references to Barcelona FC employing a PR firm to influence people online when discussing people who post positively about the Canucks. Conspiracy mongering, basically.

Like I'm just a dude who likes to post positively about the Canucks. Does not mean I disagree with most of the people here who want management change. Just because I'm not in the management thread deconstructing every JB error and success for the thousandth time this month, does not mean I don't agree. Just because I like to cheer on the Canucks, does not mean I disagree with the vast amount of rhetoric here.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
It was more of a general statement than directed at you. Please calm yourself. Just before I had a back and forth with some other user who insinuated anyone who posts positively on HIS HFBoards Canucks is obviously a shill, because some soccer team in Europe did it.

Like, you say I am straw manning. People were literally insinuating I or other positive posters are shills because some soccer team did it. Check yourself.

And you're still lying. I'm perfectly calm. Peen did not say that. We know there have been rereg shill account here. This is not up for debate. Regular posters through the Benning years have all seen it with our own eyes. It's got nothing to do with a soccer team somewhere.

This is why people like you are so tedious to deal with; you just can't bring yourself to actually listen to what people are saying. Newsflash: if you genuinely had a good handle on the conversation here you wouldn't need to constantly tell yourself people are saying things they aren't. If your beliefs are so flimsy you can't defend them on their own merits and have to lie all the time about the other side of the argument, that just means your side is the weaker of the two. That's on you, not me.

*edit* You know what? f*** it. I haven't been posting here for exactly this reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
This is why people like you are so tedious to deal with; you just can't bring yourself to actually listen to what people are saying. Newsflash: if you genuinely had a good handle on the conversation here you wouldn't need to constantly tell yourself people are saying things they aren't. If your beliefs are so flimsy you can't defend them on their own merits and have to lie all the time about the other side of the argument, that just means your side is the weaker of the two. That's on you, not me.

Interesting how it has nothing to do with a soccer team yet it was still brought up.

This is not up for debate. Regular posters through the Benning years have all seen it with our own eyes. It's got nothing to do with a soccer team somewhere.
My beliefs are I like to post positively about the Canucks. I don't generally take part in many of the arguments about management here because all that I have to say has been said. So I like to post positively. Sorry you appear to be so offended by that!

I think this calls for a hearty GO CANUCKS!!!!!!!

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
you act like i don't know the current Canucks situation. In fact you seem to try to infer a lot from my very short and positive posts. I think you should step away and reflect on the fact that you are judging people so harshly on an internet message board dedicated to the Canucks.

GO CANUCKS!!!!!!!

Sorry if I did not understand your initial post.

Can you please explain what you meant?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Now I know how Oiler fans felt. I just come here to follow our prospects and the draft.
And for some of the great posters on here.

I was at Game 7 in 2011 and don’t think I’ve ever recovered. I was so emotionally invested in that team.

As a glass half full kind of guy I think we can still turn things around with new management and a couple of good drafts. A team like Colorado drafted their franchise player in 2013 and are only now true contenders. The Bolts and Capitals also took a while. I like our young core but there’s still lots of work needed even though in some ways we have the key pieces in place.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
@JAK

How does replacing Benning do nothing? How the hell did Gillis reached the final if you say the GM does not matter? Was Aqua a "genious" between 2008-2013 and an idiot after that? After the " cap space does not matter" now we have " the GM does not matter" unless you change the owner.

There is some crazy talk here to defend Jim. We are like Chia Oilers but with no MCDrai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad