Speculation: HF Canuck’s fans interest falling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Why? Because...

upload_2021-3-25_8-16-27.png

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The date when my interest flat-lined this year was Aquilini's Saturday night Twitter novel when he said everything is fine and no changes were coming. It made me feel completely apathetic about how this season goes knowing that not only were they not making the playoffs but they also aren't going to do anything about it.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If and when we get a new GM, my interest in the team will grow exponentially. (Well, a better way to put it would be, return to previous interest levels.)

Sure we have exciting young players to get behind, but it's hard to invest yourself when the team is run by a bunch of proven idiots who surround the core with bad players on bad contracts. When the plan is to just squeak into the playoffs every season, when it should be a concentrated plan on how to be a legit cup contender.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Games are no longer must watch for me.

this season is a write off, we have simultaneously ruined our playoff chances and our draft position. Aquilini is too cheap to fire anyone during the season. Our team is playing a disgusting game where they try to play boring safe hockey but they let 40ish shots against anyways and dont really score

Guys like Höglander and Juolevi are some of the only reason to watch right now and they are getting routinely f***ed over by our idiot coach whose only cards in his hand for mixing up the lineup are to bump Hög out of the top 6 and scratch MacEwen (Juolevi will never leave the pressbox with a healthy Benn)

so yeah Im not really interested in investing time or energy in caring about this team for the time being

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Sure there's the whole "bandwagon" argument that some may throw around, but a huge reason why there's been noticeably less interest isn't just necessarily the losing. Its management, and how the team is being run.

Its the lack of direction they seem to be constantly headed toward. It's the excuses, year after year that are so blatantly empty to fans. Ridiculous free agency decisions and pointless trades that prematurely try to shoehorn us into the playoff races which end up severely backfiring. It's creating a cap nightmare that was years, literally YEARS in the making and completely foreseeable by any semi competent fan, with pay raises now due for our most crucial players.

I can handle watching a team lose, thats understandable and happens in the life cycle of a team, however the product on the ice and how that product is manufactured matters. When the people running the show offer no plan, no guidance, and rely on mediocrity for the sake of a playoff bubble shot, rather than responsibly planning for the future of the team, thats where I switch off. I'm not interested in wasting my time in that manner, and I feel after years of incompetence, many on this board feel the same way.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hard to stay as interested when there's just no hope for the club. No playoffs this year, no coherent plan for the future. Just perpetual mediocrity. They're so far away from relevancy that it just induces nihilism.

This is why I've much preferred to follow actually interesting teams more closely this season.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Hockey is my fav sport and Canucks is and forever will be my fav team.
That being said,
These dumbass at the FO still manage to make me lose interest,
No accountability
no direction
no plan
horrible asset and cap management
shitty coaching staff

We’ll be reaching buffalo territory if this keeps on

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Used to love hockey. I would religiously watch the WJC, playoffs and even the WHC. Watching Sakic, Forsberg, Federov, Kariya, Selanne, Lindros and Yzerman was a treat.

My interest in hockey has declined since 2011. The entire SCF was a total farce and just killed my interest as a Canucks fan and a hockey fan. I tried getting back into it in 2012 with Hodgson showing signs of being a franchise player...but then Keith murdered Daniel and saw minimal punishment which once again killed any interest. Now we get more confirmation of how managed the games are and it seems even more like a farce. Barely caught the 2013 SCF but wasn't surprised to see reffing favour a Californian team in the playoffs.

Another aspect is just how corporate the game has gotten. Ads plastered everywhere at the ends of the rink, virtual ads on the boards, this [insert play] brought to you by, Rogers buying HNIC, HNIC being a shell of what it was. It's less about the game, more about branding. The wordmark jersey was solely brought in to market the jersey for the Olympics and tourists.

Barely caught any games between 2016-2018. Had renewed interest in watching EP, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, and Hoglander but the owner and management have squashed it one go with no coherent plan to supplement them.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Once you get passed the fact that being on HFB regularly is like watching Fox News or CNN all day (it messes with your brain and perspective) interest tracks simply with winning and losing, or at least hope of winning vs expectation of losing.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Hopefully someone from the org stumbles across this thread and it creates change. Not holding my breath but teams do have people for this exact reason

Reactions: Luckylarry

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The team is ripe for a continental shift but is content to continue with the same idiots making the same decisions.

There is nothing new or interesting to discuss about the organization.

It’s hard to care passionately about something so awfully run where any vision of success feels impossible.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
A big part of it is I'm in a life stage where watching hockey is something I need to make time for rather than being a teenager where it's what I looked forward to all day or in university where of course I'd be watching the game with the four other dudes I lived with.

This is probably a common theme; there have been many, many incredible posters here over the years who have just basically tuned out at this point due to life rather than specifically what's happening on-ice.

Obviously, the team being where it is doesn't help. If I'm going to catch one of two hockey games during the week, I'll watch aLeafs/Oilers game because those teams are fun to watch, and then the Canucks on HNIC. I just don't care enough to know whether or not Travis Hamonic is good or not by watching games like I used to for Lukas Krajicek. Better off skimming through a couple threads here to see what the posters I really respect think, see if that lines up with my one game a week, and call it from there. That's about as invested I am willing to get into it.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Why less fans?
Because even the most dense person will eventually understand when they are being ripped off and lied to. That is what Benning and the media have been doing since he got here.

In their massive effort to get fans to think "ONE GAME AT A TIME AND FORGET THE STANDINGS" they have alienated fans that were dedicated.

Even on the Canuck forum they have to hire marketers to post the love feast nightly.
"Oh boy the snuggly little Hughes skated around so fast and and stayed on the ice so long the other boys couldn't catch him, he skated away from them so fast those nasty boys with the puck"
"Great game Vesey, it was just the posts that cost them the game"
"Holender Scored"
"Broke the shut out"
"Horvat played"

Another reason is until Benning is fired or a crowd shows up at the arena demanding his head, maybe a symbolic buring in effigy, there is no impedance to do anything yet.

Aquilini's are saving money by not firing Benning and paying him to not work.
An Eriksson buyout might be possible because it saves dollars but not capspace.
They are anchor with this Ferland uninsured contract.

The Canucks are only the talk of the town because the rest to the major sports aren't wanted here by the city fathers.

The Canucks are meh, now

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Hockey games are long, and there are way too many of them in the regular season. Why would I waste so much of my time when the team isn't doing anything of worth or note

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
The dumbest front office in sports has created a team with no plan and no system. What's to get excited about? Two more years of failure, followed by two more years of failure, repeat. Not much to care about until the whole front office is scoured of these losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad