Speculation: HF Canuck’s fans interest falling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Hughes is great. So is Petey. But, like you point out, both are young and a couple to three years from really hitting their best. What turns my stomach is Benning, although knowing these top guys are two to three years away from competing at their best, trades away Madden, a first, a second, and a third for two players who are older, and won’t be here when Hughes and Petey hit their best years. Benning wastes picks and prospects that are needed to support Petey and Hughes. It’s this lack of planning (and clear counterintuitive actions) by Benning that make it hard to stay interested in the team’s future.
The J.T. Miller trade is a home run anyway you look at it. We have seen what happens to teams when you don't add any good, prime aged players and just let them languish. They become terrible and the culture becomes broken.

On the Toffoli trade, not retaining him was stupid, but it wasn't Benning's call.
The trade made some sense to me.

People really forget how much of sports is psychological.
Last year, we had a much better year than anyone could have really expected. Then Boeser went down and it threatened to sewer our team.
I believe that Benning wanted to throw the young core a bone and say, "I've got your back", by making a move so that their first foray into success wasn't wasted.

A trade to acquire a guy like Toffoli would have made no sense if we had an older core (e.g. 2014-15), but when you're simultaneously trying to have some success, while also trying to build the big game experience of an almost infantile core, I can see the rationale.

The thing to see is whether Benning was ultimately correct about Madden's upside. If he ends up being a Mike Santorelli level player, you don't mind the trade. If he's a Kyle Turris, that was a steep, steep price.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The J.T. Miller trade is a home run anyway you look at it. We have seen what happens to teams when you don't add any good, prime aged players and just let them languish. They become terrible and the culture becomes broken.

On the Toffoli trade, not retaining him was stupid, but it wasn't Benning's call.
The trade made some sense to me.

Last year, we had a much better year than anyone could have really expected. Then Boeser went down and it threatened to sewer our team.
I believe that Benning wanted to throw the young core a bone and say, "I've got your back", by making a move so that their first foray into success wasn't wasted.

A trade to acquire a guy like Toffoli would have made no sense if we had an older core (e.g. 2014-15), but when you're simultaneously trying to have some success, while also trying to build the big game experience of an almost infantile core, I can see the rationale.

The thing to see is whether Benning was ultimately correct about Madden's upside. If he ends up being a Mike Santorelli level player, you don't mind the trade. If he's a Kyle Turris, that was a steep, steep price.
The Miller trade was definitely a win in the moment, but the timing was too soon to make such a trade. Benning just said we are 2-3 years away from our young core being reading to compete. Miller will be gone! That first (which obviously would have been top ten) would just be arriving and ready to support the young core that’s about ready to compete. Benning continues to contradict himself.

Reactions: theguardianII

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The Miller trade was definitely a win in the moment, but the timing was too soon to make such a trade. Benning just said we are 2-3 years away from our young core being reading to compete. Miller will be gone! That first (which obviously would have been top ten) would just be arriving and ready to support the young core that’s about ready to compete. Benning continues to contradict himself.
When you can acquire a 26 year old first liner for literal pennies on the dollar, you don't second guess it because 'maybe we'll be bad enough to draft high and that player will be really good'. You jump on it.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016

The trade made some sense to me

Huh? It wasn't Benning's call? Whose call was it? He was ultimately responsible for the Canucks "cap hell" but yet he spent time chasing OEL.....then, in his famous words "ran out of time" to resign Toffoli!
How did the trade make any sense at all if you were not planning at least on trying to resign him....after giving up what you gave up??

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Huh? It wasn't Benning's call? Whose call was it? He was ultimately responsible for the Canucks "cap hell" but yet he spent time chasing OEL.....then, in his famous words "ran out of time" to resign Toffoli!
How did the trade make any sense at all if you were not planning at least on trying to resign him....after giving up what you gave up??
I happen to know that it wasn't Benning's call and was a bait and switch by different factions within our ownership.

I'm not going to go further into it, and I can appreciate that you may think that I'm lying or whatever. I'm just saying what I know. Benning made Toffoli his top priority for re-signing UFAs, and then had the rug pulled out from under him.

Editing to add, I have been on here for 16 years and never made up false rumors or made bombastic posts for attention.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
When you can acquire a 26 year old first liner for literal pennies on the dollar, you don't second guess it because 'maybe we'll be bad enough to draft high and that player will be really good'. You jump on it.
Why? Explain to me the advantage of having Miller during a time when (according to Benning’s own words) our young core players are 2-3 years away from competing. Miller will be gone. To me that’s a wasted first.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I happen to know that it wasn't Benning's call and was a bait and switch by different factions within our ownership.

I'm not going to go further into it, and I can appreciate that you may think that I'm lying or whatever. I'm just saying what I know. Benning made Toffoli his top priority for re-signing UFAs, and then had the rug pulled out from under him.

Editing to add, I have been on here for 16 years and never made up false rumors or made bombastic posts for attention.
Who’s call was it if not Benning?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I have "real life" friends and acquaintances who are very happy with the job Benning has done. They fall back on the same excuses we see from Benning himself, the media shills like Imac, and some of what we see in this forum. They watch and follow the team and think the future is bright under Benning.

Because of that, I have never once thought the overly positive accounts that come and go here are in anyway fake since I know those people are actually out there.

Well said. I also have these same real life people in my life, ranging from friends and co-workers that feel the same way, and use exactly the same reasons. Hell, they told me that we should just listen to Aqua's six tweet burst and not say anything bad about them!

I call these people "surface" fans. They take everything at face value from our crappy media. It's a toxic "positivity" that I absolutely loathe. They are unwilling to even dig past the surface a little.

Rob Fai once said imagine Vancouver Canuck fans as a car with 4 people. One die-hard, Two Casuals and a person who doesn't a crap about sports. In real life I'm outnumbered, but at least on HFBoards I'm part of the majority.

Reactions: theguardianII

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Who’s call was it if not Benning?
Lol. Can’t pin this one on Linden. Who is left? No President over Benning. I question whether Tony Khan/Fredo even knew who Toffoli was. So that leaves an underling to undermine the de facto top dog (Benning)? If a GM is THAT weak, all the more reason he should be fired.

It’s never Benning’s fault. Blame Gillis 7 years later. Blame Linden who isn’t around anymore. Blame clueless Fredo. Blame time. Blame anyone but Jethro Bodine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad