• Thread starter two out of three*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I am a Sens fan and I oppose a hard cap system. BUT if one is implemented like all of these other fans want, you NEED the UFA age to be 26 or so atleast. Everyone talks how they want a system like the NFL's, well guess what the NFL UFA age is around 24. Stop preaching a hard cap if you cant face the consequences, which SHOULD be a low UFA age.

Other Dave

Jan 7, 2003
New and improved in TO
Visit site
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Stop preaching a hard cap if you cant face the consequences, which SHOULD be a low UFA age.

I've always been adamantly opposed to a cap, in part because I agree that one of the likely consequenses will be a low UFA age. You must be thinking of someone else.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Other Dave said:
Think it through. Next year Hossa's contract is up. Under the previous CBA he could score big through arbitration or the threat thereof, but at least Ottawa has a chance to keep him. I say that if Ottawa can generate playoff revenues they'll have the money to sign him, and if they can't then it's their own damn fault for losing him.

Under your suggestion, so gratefully offered and accepted, Hossa will be one of the most sought-after free agents in the entire league. Think it through. How many currently low revenue teams will be able to justify a large offer sheet based on the increased revenue a marquee player will bring? How many big market teams (who can currently afford a much higher payroll than the $65 million maximum player salary you're proposing) will have the cap room to sign one of the best young free agents in the game?

Under your proposal Ottawa fans will have to suck up losing Hossa for nothing. As fans you should be trying to find a way out that's good for all 30 teams.

I think that you fans coming up with the player proposal in this game either haven't thought through the ramifications for Ottawa, or you have and you don't care what happens to Ottawa.

Dude.....For the 11th time bro, No one held a gun to the owners head. THEY offered the 7 years. What are we gonna do decline it. Although I hear your concerns, im with the PA, were trying to get the best deal for the PA side. Talk to the owners. They screwed it up for you guys, not the PA.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Other Dave said:
I've always been adamantly opposed to a cap, in part because I agree that one of the likely consequenses will be a low UFA age. You must be thinking of someone else.

Sorry this wasn't specifically directed towards you in particular, just people who want the hard cap and want the UFA age of 30 or above. The people who want the best of both worlds and want the NHL players forced to be with one team for 12 years even while playing under a hard cap.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
Sorry this wasn't specifically directed towards you in particular, just people who want the hard cap and want the UFA age of 30 or above. The people who want the best of both worlds and want the NHL players forced to be with one team for 12 years even while playing under a hard cap.

Whos Volchenkov hitting in your avatar bro?

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
deathbear said:
i wanna know how much time you guys have on your hands to do something so utterly pointless.

:shakehead
Were trying to see what type of deal can be agreed upon by pro-PA and pro-Owner people. Why is it pointless? Its merely just for the hell of it.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
I am a Sens fan and I oppose a hard cap system. BUT if one is implemented like all of these other fans want, you NEED the UFA age to be 26 or so atleast. Everyone talks how they want a system like the NFL's, well guess what the NFL UFA age is around 24. Stop preaching a hard cap if you cant face the consequences, which SHOULD be a low UFA age.

Where do you get this 24 figure? NFL free agency is based entirely on years of service, not age. Unresctricted free agency is possible after four years in the league. Restricted free agency is possible after three.

Of course, both are predicated on a player having fulfilled his first contract, which is rare for a player before he hits his mid- to late 20s. For starters, most players are 22 or 23 by the time they enter the league. Also, most of the good ones (first- through third-round picks) sign five- to seven-year deals as rookies. So, for the most part, the UFA age in the NFL is closer to 27 or 28.

There are, of course, exceptions, i.e. 7th-round picks who sign three-year deals and blossom into stars, but these are rare.
Lastly, there's no such thing as true free agency in the NFL because of the franchise and transition tags teams can use to ensure they don't lose a player.

Read this if you want to learn about NFL free agency.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

two out of three*

I honestly feel we could get a good deal done. 99.9% chance of it not doing anything to help the NHL, but in the hearts and minds of all HF posters, are proposals were better than the real guys. (Thats what really counts right? right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad