Post-Game Talk: Hey, where's the GDT?? Caps @ Rags Game 2 (MOD WARNING IN OP-- ALL READ)

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
That's a lot of excuses. We lost fair and square, but I like where we're headed.

:help:

Excuse?

...I'm listing random observations from the game in a matter-of-fact fashion. Nothing I posted was in the context of an excuse. The very obvious take home from my thoughts are "we lost, but not by much...things look good."

...Are you talking about the officiating jab? That's as close to a non-controversial observation as you'll get. The refs were bad, almost universal agreement on the boards. ??

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Excuse?

...I'm listing random observations from the game in a matter-of-fact fashion. Nothing I posted was in the context of an excuse. The very obvious take home from my thoughts are "we lost, but not by much...things look good."

...Are you talking about the officiating jab? That's as close to a quantifiable observation as you'll get. The refs were bad, almost universal agreement on the boards. ??

It sounded like you itemized some things that went the Rangers way and some things that went against the Caps. Game of inches and all that. IMHO, of course.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Excuse?

...Are you talking about the officiating jab? That's as close to a non-controversial observation as you'll get. The refs were bad, almost universal agreement on the boards. ??

I'm just saying that EVERY game of the playoffs so far could've gone another way if not for little things.
It's just that your observations sounded like excuses. I was too hard on you, sorry :)
Refs are always bad, the NHL is a bush league.

We played an okay 59 minutes. That's my only take from the game.
Carry on :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Made some ninja edits. Everyone knock it off with the personal attacks, playing mod, etc.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I remember a pens series likely in the 90s when Mario complained about our clutch and hold tactics. I may not be remembering correctly, but the next game Pitt got 13 PPs. Does anyone else remember this, or know of a site that tracks box scores with penalties?

If the worm turned from net positive to negative, I bet that was the turning point.

Last edited:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I remember a pens series likely in the 90s when Mario complained about our clutch and hold tactics? I may not be remembering correctly, but the next game Pitt got 13 PPs. Does anyone else remember this, or know of a site that tracks box scores with penalties?

If the worm turned from net positive to negative, I bet that was the turning point.

I remember that well. Mario, the League darling, got things turned around for them. :(

Here are some game summaries from 1992-93 but they don't show PPs. Just straight goals, assists, penalty minutes, etc.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199204190WSH.html#WSH_skaters

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thanks ALLCAPS. My roommate at the time remembers it but no details, like me. Can you imagine the discussion in the media era if it were to happen now? Twitter would likely crash.

I will plan on doing my classic error laden GDT tomorrow. Apologies to anyone offended at something more than a sentence or a gif but I think its good to misrepresent our opponents on the bigs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think the Caps can give up all of the chances they have through two games and expect any better than a 1-1 series. They're somewhat fortunate that's even the case.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think none of us are really suprised by the officiating that transpired on Saturday. It was very predictable that we would get shafted.

So lets take a look...

Since the 10-11 series vs the Rags we have played then 4 times in the playoffs for a total of 21 games.

We have had 4 different coaches and vastly varying styles of play in these 4 series.

Furthermore (this one not counting) in the prior 3 we have had the puck possession advantage in each series. So its not a case of us being dominated and thus handing out PPs like candy.

In those 21 games the Rangers have had 79 PPs vs our 55. Thats is a whopping 24 more PPs.

Now if we extrapolate that over an 82 game season that would be 85+ PP advantage.

For perspective the Winnipeg Jets were among the worst team in defecit in this regard this past season. They had a 308-269 disparity (39 less PPs than they rec'd)

Are the Rangers a totally more disciplined team than us?

This year for example they had 232PPs for vs 235 against (-3) while we had 237 for vs 266 against (-29)

The analysis I did for 2012-13 was even more damning as both teams were about even during the regular season in that regard.

Could this be a statistical oddity? Perhaps. But with every passing game it becomes far more suspicious. In fact its getting laughable.

AV team diving and working the refs through the media. Torts worked the refs through the media as well.

We have had 32 PPs in our last 16 playoff games overall. We seriously just don't get calls in the playoffs while teams like the Rangers and Habs do.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Keep up the good work Rouse. I know every teams fans think they get screwed by the refs more than any other team, but do those fans have the simple PP counts to support their emotion led claims?

Looking blindly at those numbers, you would think we were a bunch of thugs, barbarians, goons.. Before this year, we were soft as silk in the playoffs. Even this year, we are not doing nothing any more egregious than our opponents.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Keep up the good work Rouse. I know every teams fans think they get screwed by the refs more than any other team, but do those fans have the simple PP counts to support their emotion led claims?

Looking blindly at those numbers, you would think we were a bunch of thugs, barbarians, goons.. Before this year, we were soft as silk in the playoffs. Even this year, we are not doing nothing any more egregious than our opponents.

Yeah I try to take a more objective look and discern the numbers.

Over 82 regular season games the Rangers were at a -3 PP advantage.

Playoffs? Over 7 games they are already at a +10! Thats nearly a +120 over the 82 game regular season! To go from a -3 to that??

Last year?

Rags were an impressive +32 during the 82 regular season games. In the playoffs? They were +21 in just 25 games. Well over double their regular season advantage over those games.

The year before where we got absolutely shafted??

Rags were +5 over the 82 game regular season. In the playoffs? They were a +16 in just 12 games. (they were +12 vs us in 7 of those games) - well over a +100 clip regular season wise. So approximately 20x the advantage

Its absurd.

Teams with big media generally get favorable calls especially come playoff time it seems.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
frightening numbers there. I'd also like to see it examined a little closer for the potential of counting penalties that occurred with 00:00 on the clock as I believe in the infamous series under Oates the Rangers got called for 2 penalties with no time on the clock.

-edit-

It seems like you looked at just Power Play opportunities so that would handle that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Just win the series. The league shouldn't have an interest in the Lightning making it to the finals over the Capitals. Kill the penalites and win anyway

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
frightening numbers there. I'd also like to see it examined a little closer for the potential of counting penalties that occurred with 00:00 on the clock as I believe in the infamous series under Oates the Rangers got called for 2 penalties with no time on the clock.

-edit-

It seems like you looked at just Power Play opportunities so that would handle that.

Yeah it was the raw PP vs PK numbers so it captures that.

In 2010-11 in games 3 and 4 at MSG they had 14PPs to our 7.

In the last 5 games we played in the playoffs at MSG (the 2012-13 series and the 2 games so far the Rangers have had 21 PPs to our 8. (6-3 this series and 15-5 back then)

The raw numbers just don't do it justice...add the eye test and its insane!

Remember the "too many men on the ice they called against the Caps when the Rangers had 10 or 11 guys on the ice? Or how about the Callahan chicken wing to Hillen's head and then Hillen getting called b/c Callahan embellished a shove to the chest?

Yandle's dive goes along that story line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad