Hey Torts, Why again did you Rarely use McD on the PP?

NHRangerfan

They're still 9-8. Those games counted.

Remember that this was a succesful team prior to the coaching change. They go 7-3 and all of a sudden they're world beaters and SC favorites...

I'm not saying the wins weren't satisfying but it's early for the I told you so's. They have some tough games coming up against the likes of Boston, LA, Montreal, Tampa, and... Vancouver, who believe it or not, are playing better than the Rangers in a tougher division.

This is why these boards are becoming almost intolerable...nobody has mentioned playoffs or Stanley Cups in this entire thread (aside form someone mentioning team awards) the OP simply wonders why McD wasn't on the PP under Torts...yet it somehow gets inferred that anyone agreeing that the PP is better now automatically thinks everyone is saying this team will win the SC :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

The fact is the PP is performing better than it has in the prior few seasons, and even when the team isn't scoring, the PP is generating chances a lot more than it did in prior seasons...you can go back through any old thread and 99 44/100% of posters on this board agreed that having a better PP could have helped this team in the playoffs...Do you think we go 7 games against the Sens and Caps before falling to the Devils if this team has even a middle of the road PP...

Done ranting

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
This is why these boards are becoming almost intolerable...nobody has mentioned playoffs or Stanley Cups in this entire thread (aside form someone mentioning team awards) the OP simply wonders why McD wasn't on the PP under Torts...yet it somehow gets inferred that anyone agreeing that the PP is better now automatically thinks everyone is saying this team will win the SC :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

The fact is the PP is performing better than it has in the prior few seasons, and even when the team isn't scoring, the PP is generating chances a lot more than it did in prior seasons...you can go back through any old thread and 99 44/100% of posters on this board agreed that having a better PP could have helped this team in the playoffs...Do you think we go 7 games against the Sens and Caps before falling to the Devils if this team has even a middle of the road PP...

Done ranting

Hey, it's like clockwork. The Rangers beat a 3 win team to go one game over .500 and we get a John Tortorella is an idiot thread and a Rangers are over the hump thread.

NHRangerfan

Hey, it's like clockwork. The Rangers beat a 3 win team to go one game over .500 and we get a John Tortorella is an idiot thread and a Rangers are over the hump thread.

Actually the OP started this Torts is an idiot for not playing McD on the PP thread last Thursday...but we should confine our commentary to this thread...again nobody claimed this team was a SC winner in this thread.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Ultimately this is a **** John Tortorella thread. If the op really only wanted to talk about McD, he'd have made the McD Thread and talked about how good he's looked for the Rangers.

The whole point of the coaching change was that JT was holding the team back and he was the reason why they weren't better than the Pens and Bruins. Right now there's quite a few teams in the East that could knock off the Rangers. They beat some bad teams.

Having a hard time understanding what you're trying to get at with all this. Sounds pretty much like you hate your team and they can never do anything good enough for you. Pretty much the bottom of the barrel type fan right here

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Having a hard time understanding what you're trying to get at with all this. Sounds pretty much like you hate your team and they can never do anything good enough for you. Pretty much the bottom of the barrel type fan right here

Or maybe I'm just appreciative of what the team has accomplished over the past two seasons? Maybe I didn't place most of the blame on the coach? Maybe I'm the type of person that doesn't start an "I told you John Tortorella was idiot" thread when the team as it stands is a borderline playoff team.

It's amazing how the standard drops when the front office brings in a new coach. Last year everyone was furious with this team because they didn't get past Boston. Right now you're considered a bad fan if point out the fact that they've beaten the likes of Florida, Carolina, and Buffalo.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It's amazing how the standard drops when the front office brings in a new coach. Last year everyone was furious with this team because they didn't get past Boston. Right now you're considered a bad fan if point out the fact that they've beaten the likes of Florida, Carolina, and Buffalo.

There's only ONE standard - how the team did finished the season. Seeing as how we're not even 1/4th in, seems pretty incredible that you've already annointed the 2013-14 Rangers a big steaming pile

Rangers couldn't score a goal to save their lives under Tortorella, thank god he's gone and he didn't completely ruin Kreider & Richards and AV is able to slowly repair the damage

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Or maybe I'm just appreciative of what the team has accomplished over the past two seasons? Maybe I didn't place most of the blame on the coach? Maybe I'm the type of person that doesn't start an "I told you John Tortorella was idiot" thread when the team as it stands is a borderline playoff team.

You gotta take these guys with a grain of salt. These are the same guys that would have you believe that the head coach was the major thing holding this team back the past couple years. They got their coaching change, they got their wider open style, and they're the first ones to beat their chest after a few wins. What they likely wont get is any tangible performance improvement when the season is complete. Seems like its those "bottom of the barrel" fans that actually put stock in results.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Seems like its those "bottom of the barrel" fans that actually put stock in results.
Are you saying that with a straight face? Because there are no results to speak of since we haven't even gotten to the friggin playoffs yet. There are results under Tortorella, Rangers couldn't score enough to get by the Devils and then last year they had an even harder time keeping up with the top teams. So far it looks pretty promising with the new system, but obviously you couldn't wait to bury the team 10 games in

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Are you saying that with a straight face? Because there are no results to speak of since we haven't even gotten to the friggin playoffs yet. There are results under Tortorella, Rangers couldn't score enough to get by the Devils and then last year they had an even harder time keeping up with the top teams. So far it looks pretty promising with the new system, but obviously you couldn't wait to bury the team 10 games in

Ive seen watching the Rangers for 25 years and those first 8 games were the worst I'd ever seen them.

But the excuse there is they were still getting used to a new coach, which gave them a license to completely forget how to play hockey. A counter-argument that the Rangers havent exactly beat many great teams for their 9 wins is met with scorn and disbelief.

We'll see what happens to end the season. For you to be right, they'll have to advance past the 2nd round.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
There's only ONE standard - how the team did finished the season. Seeing as how we're not even 1/4th in, seems pretty incredible that you've already annointed the 2013-14 Rangers a big steaming pile

Rangers couldn't score a goal to save their lives under Tortorella, thank god he's gone and he didn't completely ruin Kreider & Richards and AV is able to slowly repair the damage

I didn't annoint them a big steaming pile, I'm just not one of those Jets fans that's starts talking trash after they beat the Bills. Get what I'm saying?

Ultimately, this team is pretty similar to last year's team. Unfortunately, we can't blame "the idiot" anymore because he's no longer around.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
I'm not seeing a player parking themselves behind the net on a PP, I'm not seeing a coach who is inconsistent with benching players, I'm not seeing a team that is apathetic to one-timers and slappers, and I'm not seeing a coach breaking up lines every other game.

Don't get me wrong, we needed a guy like Torts after Renney, and we did have success with him. Though, there were certain things about the way the team played that made me want to either throw the remote at the TV or head-butt my sister. Some people will say "that was Sully," well, Sully and Torts were connected at the hip, and at one point, I don't think we got a clear, definitive answer as to who really was responsible for the dreadful PP.

If there is that much incognito being involved between the assistant and the head coach, the axe should fall straight on the head coach, IMO.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
But the excuse there is they were still getting used to a new coach, which gave them a license to completely forget how to play hockey. A counter-argument that the Rangers havent exactly beat many great teams for their 9 wins is met with scorn and disbelief.

You know, this is actually an exaggeration. 4 of their 9 wins, possibly 5 or 6 depending on how the CBJ and NYI seasons shake out, have come against teams at or above their level. People make it seem as if they've won the vast, vast majority of their games against terrible teams. They've won 3 games against awful teams (CAR, BUF, FLA).

NHRangerfan

You gotta take these guys with a grain of salt. These are the same guys that would have you believe that the head coach was the major thing holding this team back the past couple years. They got their coaching change, they got their wider open style, and they're the first ones to beat their chest after a few wins. What they likely wont get is any tangible performance improvement when the season is complete. Seems like its those "bottom of the barrel" fans that actually put stock in results.

So let me get this straight, it's ok to point out what has gone wrong this season...and I have pointed out plenty, but if you post a positive about the PP being improved you're somehow a pie in the sky fan :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Are you kidding me?

So let's point out the fact in this thread...the PP is better now than it has been...will that hold out over the course of the season? None of us know but it has a lot more life than anything we saw under the previous regime.

Nobody is planning the parade route because the PP is improved, but some of you can keep claiming that because it fits your agenda

NHRangerfan

I didn't annoint them a big steaming pile, I'm just not one of those Jets fans that's starts talking trash after they beat the Bills. Get what I'm saying?

Ultimately, this team is pretty similar to last year's team. Unfortunately, we can't blame "the idiot" anymore because he's no longer around.

So please point out where anyone is talking trash...is the PP not improved over last year?

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011

It's happening with the other team in the Garden right now. Melo is shooting poorly and Bargnani is soft because apperently Woodson isn't the right guy for the job. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Knicks don't have Lebron, Wade, and Bosh. :sarcasm:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
...is the PP not improved over last year?

Absolutely, really happy about it too. And there are lots of other improvements to note. A couple that really stick out are not changing lines every game for no reason and not benching guys for single mistakes. That allows players to play loose, not fearing the coach and being uptight and avoiding plays that could get them benched. Consistent lines also lets them develop chemistry and it's starting to really bear fruit

NHRangerfan

Absolutely, really happy about it too. And there are lots of other improvements to note. A couple that really stick out are not changing lines every game for no reason and not benching guys for single mistakes. That allows players to play loose, not fearing the coach and being uptight and avoiding plays that could get them benched. Consistent lines also lets them develop chemistry and it's starting to really bear fruit

I'll disagree about the line changes...when lines were going Torts kept them intact, when they weren't generating offense he would switch them up...I think he gets a bad rap on his line juggling.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
So please point out where anyone is talking trash...is the PP not improved over last year?

I have no problem with the improved Rangers power play. I think it's great.

There's an agenda to this thread. It's a **** that idiot John Tortorella thread.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I'll disagree about the line changes...when lines were going Torts kept them intact, when they weren't generating offense he would switch them up...I think he gets a bad rap on his line juggling.

Well, I agree with this but "weren't generating offense" to Torts is not scoring in 1 or 2 games. You can't just pull the trigger that quickly

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim

Torts kept lines together for long periods of time. Dubi-AA-Cally, Feds-Boyle-Prust, Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello are examples. My problem with Torts' line juggling is that it seemed to be his only cure for any issue. You rarely saw him make adjustments to the style of play if needed, he'd just move players around, sit some players and double shift Brian Boyle.

NHRangerfan

I have no problem with the improved Rangers power play. I think it's great.

There's an agenda to this thread. It's a **** that idiot John Tortorella thread.

Having an issue with the Torts bashing is one thing, saying people are talking Cup is another...the team has essentially the same roster as last season...so why is the PP different this season?

Could the former coach have some responsibility for the terrible performance of the PP during his tenure? Rangers PP % the last 2 seasons under the former regime was ranked 23 and 23

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Having an issue with the Torts bashing is one thing, saying people are talking Cup is another...the team has essentially the same roster as last season...so why is the PP different this season?

Could the former coach have some responsibility for the terrible performance of the PP during his tenure? Rangers PP % the last 2 seasons under the former regime was ranked 23 and 23

The people who ripped on Torts were the people that said this was a SC team. I hate to group people together but it is what it is. The loss to the Boston Bruins was considered unnacceptable for a team with this much talent and he was let go because of it. No one really ripped on Torts before that series. The Rangers finished the season on a roll and were scoring a lot of goals. All of a sudden something like 70% of Rangers fans wanted him gone because he lost to a team that ripped Pittsburgh. Even Sather turned on him and his style of play.

Brad Richards was brought onto this team to help the pp. Maybe the improved power play has something to do with him not sitting on his ass all offseason taking pictures? It wasn't the coach, Richards just looked slow and ****** last year.

Right now they're 14th and they're coming off a hot streak. I hope it stays there but there's no guarantee.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Brad Richards was brought onto this team to help the pp. Maybe the improved power play has something to do with him not sitting on his ass all offseason taking pictures? It wasn't the coach, Richards just looked slow and ****** last year.

That is also true, however, honestly, how many times did you see this team shoot the puck like they have so far these few games? Are you seeing Girardi take limp wristers from the point or are you seeing McDonagh work his magic?

Another one which no one can defend Torts on this one..how many times have you seen a player stand and wait behind the net?

It seemed Torts was allergic to fundamental hockey when this team was on the PP.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
That is also true, however, honestly, how many times did you see this team shoot the puck like they have so far these few games? Are you seeing Girardi take limp wristers from the point or are you seeing McDonagh work his magic?

Another one which no one can defend Torts on this one..how many times have you seen a player stand and wait behind the net?

It seemed Torts was allergic to fundamental hockey when this team was on the PP.

I'm mainly seeing Brad Richards rip shots through traffic which is what he was brought here to do. When we signed him we didn't have a trigger on the pp.

Brad is on pace for 290 shots right now, a significant improvement compared to the last two years.

As far as putting a guy behind the net goes, he puts a guy in front of the net, too. How do you think Callahan scored all those ppgs in 2011? He started using Boyle in front of the net a lot last year, too.

As far as "fundamental" hockey goes, Gretzky like the puck behind the net so it's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad