Hey Torts, Why again did you Rarely use McD on the PP?

Green Blob*

A bunch of us here who can understand hockey could tell he oozed with offensive potential, but yet good old johnny never wanted to put him on the PP to let the offensive potential start to develop at the NHL level...now that he's being using on the first unit most of the time all the potential is really showing its head.

He's already becoming our best defenseman on the PP, reads things well, moves the puck very well, is patient, and he gets his shot through traffic. Thats exactly what you want from your point men.

Keep it up McD, you are well on your way to a Norris trophy in a couple years with the offense starting to come around now that you are being giving the chance. On pace for a nice 40+ point season, could easily see 50+ point seasons in his prime.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
Torts would also break up lines that had chemistry.

Guarantee if he was still here, the Kredier-Stepan-Zucc line would have already been broken up.

Lol I was telling one of my friends the other day that I could see torts switching lines mid game if they didn't score even if they were playing well. It's nice to see a coach have faith in his lines and leave them together even if they don't score a goal every game. Keep them together an they build chemistry more each game

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I can get the reasoning by Torts, McDonagh is too valuable at Even Strength and on the PK, so that's why he never played PP.

However, I think the thought process leading up to that reasoning, was flawed. Torts did not trust defenders like Del Zotto, Stralman and Moore to play against top players. Hope that makes sense haha

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Stop coaching, green blob- torts

But seriously the pp was horrible under torts, and his insistence on using girardi instead of mac truck was assinine.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
its really nice to actually have lines. no doubt the kreider-step-zucc line is still together with torts here. actually theres a good chance kreider doesnt get top 6 ice time if torts was still here.

BB58

Dec 26, 2010
Cave
its really nice to actually have lines. no doubt the kreider-step-zucc line is still together with torts here. actually theres a good chance kreider doesnt get top 6 ice time if torts was still here.

He'd be in AHL.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
A bunch of us here who can understand hockey could tell he oozed with offensive potential, but yet good old johnny never wanted to put him on the PP to let the offensive potential start to develop at the NHL level...now that he's being using on the first unit most of the time all the potential is really showing its head.

He's already becoming our best defenseman on the PP, reads things well, moves the puck very well, is patient, and he gets his shot through traffic. Thats exactly what you want from your point men.

Keep it up McD, you are well on your way to a Norris trophy in a couple years with the offense starting to come around now that you are being giving the chance. On pace for a nice 40+ point season, could easily see 50+ point seasons in his prime.

People who understand hockey .... What was that other thread ..... oh never mind

i agree McDonough always showed offensive potential

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
To keep his points down and make it easier for Sather to sign him to a nice contract.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Torts has his ways. Sometimes it works for him and he's had alot of success doing what he does at the NHL level. But that's one I always thought he got wrong.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I can probably dig up 20 posts where I was begging to see McD on the power play over Del(I shoot it into shinpads)Zotto. And many people told me I was nuts to think he has better offensive skills than MDZ. The guy can juke people out of their jocks on the blue line, and amazingly get shots to the net.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Their PK is 2nd in the league though so Torts successfully introduced the 6-goalie system. In the case of the PK, the 5-goalie system. Can't wait to see the Sedins blocking shots

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00