Hey Torts, Why again did you Rarely use McD on the PP?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I know what he said but you should also read the comments made later on on the thread.
No. The only thing relevant to me right now is that there were no other mentions of Duncan Keith between the post RangerBoy declared him the Rangers' Duncan Keith and you making your statement

Drewbackatu*

No. The only thing relevant to me right now is that there were no other mentions of Duncan Keith between the post RangerBoy declared him the Rangers' Duncan Keith and you making your statement

Read Bardof425's post "If McD gets to 50 points, he will considered a top 5 defenseman."

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
McDonagh is already top 10 in my book. The things he's missing are a true offensive game (which is coming along), and strong physicality. He'll never be Doughty/Weber/Pietrangelo level IMO, but he'll be right underneath them. I think Keith is a good comparison to who McDonagh can be in a few years.

Green Blob*

Could Torts have used McDonagh on the power play?

Sure - but that would've meant limiting his even strength minutes and playing Stu Bickel and Steve Eminger more. The team was amongst the best in the league at even strength under Tortorella. That would've likely suffered at the expense of the PP improving a bit.

It kind of astounds me that people can watch the sport for years and not pick up on that sort of give and take.

Um yea and the PP improving a bit could have made us win a few more games during the season, so its a pretty big take. Love how a few of you keeping bringing this up but it had no effect on Girardi getting the PP time.

You dont get nearly as tired on the PP as you do at ES or PK.

Bardof425*

:

Keith is also older and more experienced than mcd. I believe they have similar skillsets and it's quite possible that mcd reaches his level.

McD is already better in the shut down role. To get to Keith's level he needs to score more and that is starting to happen. So, if the points are comparable McD is the better player.

Bardof425*

Could Torts have used McDonagh on the power play?

Sure - but that would've meant limiting his even strength minutes and playing Stu Bickel and Steve Eminger more. The team was amongst the best in the league at even strength under Tortorella. That would've likely suffered at the expense of the PP improving a bit.

It kind of astounds me that people can watch the sport for years and not pick up on that sort of give and take.

you get surprised alot. How did former Ranger coaches use #2 for the full two minutes and still manage to have him out there whenever he was needed. He played alot; sure. So can Mac. Not an excuse. Torts just didn't believe in the kid's offensive capabilities. This argument is just an excuse for a coaching mistake.

Bardof425*

I'll repeat it; I love McDonagh but he will never ever come close to an elite level defender like Duncan Keith who has won a Norris trophy, 2 Stanley Cups and a Gold medal already at a young age. Believe me, this shouldn't be interpreted in any way, shape or form as a knock on McDonagh!

He of no faith. The Cups and Gold Medals are team awards and of course he helped earn them. However, it is exactly these team wins that have people overrate his game. Defensively, he's not top 20 in the league and defense is important for a defenseman. His offense makes him elite and as I said if Mac get his numbers up, he will surpass the likes of Duncan Keith.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I thought he looked terrible when he was first put on the pp. He definitely looks more comfortable now, however.

He also stringed together some awful games as recently as last week.

Some of you are really really fickle.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers drafted Lee Falardeau in the 2002. His teammate at Michigan State was Duncan Keith. Fox Sports Detroit carries the Michigan State games. I remember watching a few games early that season on DIRECTV before Keith left for the WHL in 02-03. He wasn't anything special. Keith spent two full seasons in the AHL. Look at his offensive numbers in the AHL and in the NHL leading up to 08-09 which was his first 40 plus point season in the NHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=63187

McDonagh had 32 in his first year. 19 in 47 games last season. Keith had 27 in 47 games last season. 10 of those points were on the PP. 2 goals. 8 assists. McDonagh had 2 PP assists in 11-12 and 1 assist in 13.

With more PP time,Keith's numbers went up. Same thing with McDonagh. He is on pace for 46 points.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/_/id/2306/duncan-keith

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/_/id/4954/ryan-mcdonagh

In the finals,Keith was double shifted. Chicago didn't trust Leddy so they had Keith with Seabrook. Then it was Oduya-Hammer. Followed by Keith-Rozsival.

McDonagh has already proven he can handle the heavy workload in the playoffs. How many minutes did he play in game 3 2012 against the Caps?

Keith isn't a pure offensive defenseman like Karlsson. Same thing with McDonagh.

Ryan is 6 years younger. He is 24. Keith won the Norris 2010 when he was 27.

The sky is the limit for this player and some people can't see it.

Drewbackatu*

McDonagh is already top 10 in my book. The things he's missing are a true offensive game (which is coming along), and strong physicality. He'll never be Doughty/Weber/Pietrangelo level IMO, but he'll be right underneath them. I think Keith is a good comparison to who McDonagh can be in a few years.

Good post. He is on the outer fringe of the top 10 but he won't ever see or be any of those players including Keith because his offensive game won't ever be anywhere near theirs and his defensive game is way too passive against the more physical teams.

Drewbackatu*

Because that's my opinion(on the 50 points anyway) and he just doesn't have anywhere near the skillset of the majority of the top 10-12 players let alone the top 5!
This is clearly yet another case of vastly overrating our players and trying to make them out to be something they're not or will ever be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad