Hey Terry, Do Us A Favor and SELL

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
My coworker just came up to me and gave me $1 saying that he heard on the radio that the Pegulas are bailing out of WNY sports (except for the bills) and he wants a percentage when i buy the Sabres (hence the dollar bill). Is something going on that i don't know about? This whole thing makes me nervous and anxious as hell. i do NOT want to see the team moved or anything and even with Tpegs meddling, knowing they were safe in buffalo was comforting.
random twitter person tweeted something and then a bunch of idiots ran with it

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
random twitter person tweeted something and then a bunch of idiots ran with it
This is the guy that has everyone in a panic

Screenshot_20240418_193444_X.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Jeremy2020

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Reactions: BuffaloMango

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I should have said “This franchise under Terry Pegula is historically bad.”

The 23-24 Sabres aren’t historically bad.

The 2012-2024 Buffalo Sabres are a historically bad run in the history of the league and the worst cumulative P% of any team during that time.

The Terry Pegula version of the Sabres have the dubious distinction of holding the ALL-TIME playoff drought record at 13 years. Not active record, ALL-TIME record for any franchise ever! It is likely the most inept decade of NHL hockey for any franchise in history (definitely top 3).

The next closest team in all-time playoff drought is 10 years. This is a record that might stand for decades.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
What if he sells the Bills instead?

Obviously he's not doing that but the value of the Bills is insane compared to when he bought them. I think he paid around $1 billion and they are now valued at $4 billion.

Between the NFL as a whole just growing exponentially and Allen making the market a hotbed for football again, Pegula is printing cash. All those extra playoff games and public financing to go towards a brand new stadium, too? Jeez.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I’ve said this before and I always get yelled at - but the Pegulas need more liquidity. This makes perfect sense in that context.

Yes, you can Google their net worth and it’s high. But almost all of it is tied up in the Bills/Sabres.

He’s ran many businesses into the ground. He tried to ramp up his fracking business and got sued/fined and ended up not producing much. He started a wealth management company. It all added up to him trying to create more liquidity due to non-Bills businesses failing.

And now here we are. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s more to come.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
I am unsure if Terry is selling the Sabres or not. I waffle on it. (My preference is for him to sell and the Sabres stay in Buffalo)

But I am not sure we should take the "commitment to the region" jargon from the Pegula camp seriously either. This is the last 10-ish months or so

August 28, 2023 in regards to dissolving PSE and the BCA lease.

April 2, 2024: Pulls out of the lease/operating BCA

April 19, 2024: Psych, we might sell the Knighthawks

This is meaningful.

Gonna bump my own post and add on with the Athletic Article.

It has been clear for some time Terry needs some more cash.

"Nothing to see here I am not selling anything everything is cool. The years of a leaking roof, keeping the scoreboard for 2x the factory recommendations, adn bottom half spending across the NHL, and getting out of any major contractual obligations are just happenstance" - Terry Pegula

"I am selling stuff"- Also Terry Pegula

Yeah, that is not going to happen. The Bills are his pride and joy.

Well, he is about to be 26% away from being a very profitable fan.

• Haha
Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t have any reaction at all to selling minority stake in the Bills. That’s a smart, safe business move. Given the current evaluation and the short term trajectory of the league…they can get back almost what they paid for 100 percent of it and maintain all control. You’re sacrificing that percentage of future profits but how much income does someone need when they’re banking that much in a lump sum? Not to mention still getting the majority of profits.

I just wish he would sell 100 percent of the Sabres instead.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don’t have any reaction at all to selling minority stake in the Bills. That’s a smart, safe business move. Given the current evaluation and the short term trajectory of the league…they can get back almost what they paid for 100 percent of it and maintain all control. You’re sacrificing that percentage of future profits but how much income does someone need when they’re banking that much in a lump sum? Not to mention still getting the majority of profits.

I just wish he would sell 100 percent of the Sabres instead.
That for me is contingent upon a buyer that keeps them in Buffalo. Forever.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The Terry Pegula version of the Sabres have the dubious distinction of holding the ALL-TIME playoff drought record at 13 years. Not active record, ALL-TIME record for any franchise ever! It is likely the most inept decade of NHL hockey for any franchise in history (definitely top 3).

The next closest team in all-time playoff drought is 10 years. This is a record that might stand for decades.

It's an unfair comparison. Boston's 60s are considerably worse they missed 8 years when 4 out of 6 teams made the playoff.

Similarly to NYR only winning 1 cup during the entire o6 stretch is the equivalent of a century drought now.

The Sabres record will be hard to break if the league shifts playoff structure. If they don't it'll likely be broken.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Someone is going to pay Terry 1 billion dollars and the Prfula’s remain in control.

Smart business decision.
He forfeits 25% of yearly profit + loses out on 25% of the value of the franchise going forward (which only goes up, at a rate higher than he will get in the open market).

It’s not a smart business decision. It’s a cashing out because you need liquidity.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That for me is contingent upon a buyer that keeps them in Buffalo. Forever.
My need for him to be out has outweighed my need for them to stay for a few years now.

I’ll take the risk.

It’s better than maintaining his ownership

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
It's an unfair comparison. Boston's 60s are considerably worse they missed 8 years when 4 out of 6 teams made the playoff.

Similarly to NYR only winning 1 cup during the entire o6 stretch is the equivalent of a century drought now.

The Sabres record will be hard to break if the league shifts playoff structure. If they don't it'll likely be broken.

On the flip side players in the 60's were making substantially less. Playing professional hockey was a major financial commitment.

Even if the league doesn't shift playoff structure 13 years will be hard to break.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
On the flip side players in the 60's were making substantially less. Playing professional hockey was a major financial commitment.

Even if the league doesn't shift playoff structure 13 years will be hard to break.

What relevance is the bolded? That's equally true for all players. What these streaks represent is variance. And variance on a coin flip is lot bigger than variance on a 66% playoff.

All of these streaks are likely to be broken. There's a reason only Boston's streak is prominent of the pre-expansion teams. Ottawa and Detroit have fairly significant streaks going too, Montreal would have been with them except for the Covid Seasons.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Why can't people understand that the likelihood of the league allowing the Sabres (or any team that has a feasible NHL arena to play in) to relocate any time soon is roughly the same as a UFO landing on the roof of KeyBank Center this afternoon?

I'd say it's pretty high if the right offer came around.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
He forfeits 25% of yearly profit + loses out on 25% of the value of the franchise going forward (which only goes up, at a rate higher than he will get in the open market).

It’s not a smart business decision. It’s a cashing out because you need liquidity.
Bills made an estimated $65M in 2021-2022…25% of that is 16.25M. If he got an ROI of 1.7% he makes more off of that 1B than profits so I’m not sure why you’re factoring that in at all besides just looking for reasons to slam Pegula. (And yes, I’m ignoring taxes for simplicity but even a 3.4% return would be incredibly modest).

As for the 25% of franchise value, it has been speculated for years that the NFL will have to allow private equity or franchise values will stagnant due to the lack of people who can afford teams at these valuations…seems like he might be ahead of the curve on this

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

It's just a necessity, likely. There are reasons for or against. But a 25% partner can be an irritant. They also could have the right of first refusal if the team ever goes on sale. Who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad