Player Discussion: Hey media, enough, now SHUT THE HELL UP about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Very very very confusing take. I'd imagine Lehner is glad to bring recognition to the issue. Having the courage to face the problem and seek the help needed and not feel alone in their struggle- is a very realistic reason as to why Lehner spoke up about this in the first place.
This isn't about Lehner's courageous act of coming forward. I think we all agree - or at least most of us - that it was the right thing to do for him. He needed the help and the support, and he also wanted to share his story in the hope of helping others. That's all good. But this is about the press taking an important story and beating it to death for no other reason than that the nature of the illness still carries with a not entirely uplifting fascination for the public.

Reactions: bigtim1988

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The stigma and taboos attached to mental problems and addiction will always carry more sensationalism than someone with a somatic illness like diabetes or a bad back, that can be treated by simpler means. Lehner came out to tell his story because it is part of his rehab and it also explains his somewhat erratic behaviour over the years. He needed get it off his shoulders and raising awareness of mental issues is more important than ever. It needs to come out in the open and the press catching up on it is a good thing. For centuries mental problems have been swept under the carpet and sufferers hidden away in sanatoriums or wards so the press catching up is a good thing.

In Lehner's case, if he can play well enough to show he's overcoming his problems the press will soon focus on that instead. It's if his play suffers and if they then hang him out to dry because of his past problems we have a serious issue

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
I'm so glad you brought this up. I'm sure media will now shut the hell up about it. How about talking about his fantastic debut yesterday? Jeez.

Reactions: bigtim1988

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
This isn't about Lehner's courageous act of coming forward. I think we all agree - or at least most of us - that it was the right thing to do for him. He needed the help and the support, and he also wanted to share his story in the hope of helping others. That's all good. But this is about the press taking an important story and beating it to death for no other reason than that the nature of the illness still carries with a not entirely uplifting fascination for the public.
So how does his story get spread to a vastly larger demographic without the media speaking about it?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
There is some AWESOME content in this thread! Right up there with complaining about hiring Travis Williams! :thumbu:
I think it’s time for the positive “media should shut the f*** up thread” and the negative “media should not shut the f*** up thread”.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The media is like a hound missing a brain. In a short while they will chase another squirrel and forget about Lehner.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I kinda agree with OP.

It was probably very difficult to come out with something like that, and I'm sure he greatly appreciates the support, but at the same time, he's probably tired of hearing about it at this point

Reactions: Capt Obvious

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm so glad you brought this up. I'm sure media will now shut the hell up about it. How about talking about his fantastic debut yesterday? Jeez.
We're not at odds. That's exactly where I wanted the focus to be. Did you even read my post to open this thread?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad