Player Discussion: Hey media, enough, now SHUT THE HELL UP about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Can we make a concerted effort to get the media to now stop talking about Robin Lehner's "personal struggles"? I am not in any way dismissing them as unimportant. (I have a brother with bipolar disorder and it is a brutal thing.) But we all know about it now and we all support him 100% no matter how he plays. He made his illness public to raise awareness. That very important goal has been accomplished so the media no longer has to preface everything they want to say about him or ask him with that piece of information. It isn't who he is or what he is. What he is is a husband, a father and a member of this team and we hope a great one.

Tremendous job today Robin Lehner, #40, New York Islanders.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
He put it out there. If he didn't want people to talk about it, he wouldn't have done it. If you don't wanna hear about it, just ignore it.
Yes, he put it out there more than a month ago and it has been well discussed and chronicled in that time but I don't think he wanted every question he is ever asked to be about it, which is what it has been. My personal experience with it tells me that he would much rather have the focus on Robin Lehner the hockey player.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
My personal experience with it tells me that he would much rather have the focus on Robin Lehner the hockey player.
That's nice, but he put the article out there, and made it free to access. People are going to talk about it, especially the first few games. My guess is that he knows this and your personal experience isn't his.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Can we make a concerted effort to get the media to now stop talking about Robin Lehner's "personal struggles"? I am not in any way dismissing them as unimportant. (I have a brother with bipolar disorder and it is a brutal thing.) But we all know about it now and we all support him 100% no matter how he plays. He made his illness public to raise awareness. That very important goal has been accomplished so the media no longer has to preface everything they want to say about him or ask him with that piece of information. It isn't who he is or what he is. What he is is a husband, a father and a member of this team and we hope a great one.

This is quite different than Jim Abbott the one arm pitcher .

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That's nice, but he put the article out there, and made it free to access. People are going to talk about it, especially the first few games. My guess is that he knows this and your personal experience isn't his.
If we want to stop stigmatizing mental illness, we'll stop treating those who suffer with it differently than other people. Max Domi made public that he is a diabetic last year. Did the press preface every question after the article came out with a comment about his diabetes? No. they just treated him like a hockey player. Max Domi has an illness. Robin Lehner has an illness. What's the difference? The difference is one can be sensationalized and the other can't. Just treat Robin Lehner the same way Max Domi is treated. As a hockey player.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He put it out there,so that he wouldn't have to keep it under wraps. It will run it's course in the media and also may do some good as he is a high profile person(somewhat) setting an example for others fighting the same battle! It isn't as bad as you make it out to be. If he was thin-skinned he wouldn't have done it!

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
He put it out there,so that he wouldn't have to keep it under wraps. It will run it's course in the media and also may do some good as he is a high profile person(somewhat) setting an example for others fighting the same battle! It isn't as bad as you make it out to be. If he was thin-skinned he wouldn't of done it!
I get where you're coming from and hopefully RL's solid play will make it the primary topic of discussion over time. But this isn't about RL being thin-skinned, this is about basic fairness and not sensationalizing a sensitive topic. I just think it better left for "think" pieces and longer form discussion and not in the middle of or right after a game. Talk about hockey. That's what he's out there to do.

Last edited:

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Did the press preface every question after the article came out with a comment about his diabetes? No. they just treated him like a hockey player.

It's a little bit different. To pretend otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

He's being treated fairly. He hasn't complained. Just you.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I get where you're coming from and hopefully RL's solid play will make it the primary topic of discussion over time. But this isn't about RL being thin-skinned, this is about basic fairness and not sensationalizing a sensitive topic. I just think it better left for "think" pieces and longer form discussion and not in the middle of or right after a game. Talk about hockey. That's what he's out there to do.
I expect it will settle down and if not ,he can always ask that the topic be for more appropriate times. Easy to handle! He did a good thing,more positive than negative will come out of it !

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Every time a team plays the Islanders for the first time Lehner is going to be a story for the out of town beat writers plus their hockey columnists. You're going to be hearing about Robin Lehner and his off ice issues repeatedly this year. Get used to it.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It's a little bit different. To pretend otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

He's being treated fairly. He hasn't complained. Just you.
What is your ax, man? I brought up a topic that I care about and you're making it personal. Lay off if you don't have something constructive to say. And no, it isn't different. It's an illness. That is the point.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The media does not care about his feelings. heck if he goes manic again they will have a field day. Once he has a couple more wins under his belt, if I was him, and tired of talking about it, I'd make a statement that I'm.finished discussing it, and won't be commenting on it again. After a few awkward interviews on camera they will realize he was serious. HIS plan is to sign a 30 million dollar contract next off-season after a great year this year. Putting this behind him media wise will help get that contract.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The media does not care about his feelings. heck if he goes manic again they will have a field day. Once he has a couple more wins under his belt, if I was him, and tired of talking about it, I'd make a statement that I'm.finished discussing it, and won't be commenting on it again. After a few awkward interviews on camera they will realize he was serious. HIS plan is to sign a 30 million dollar contract next off-season after a great year this year. Putting this behind him media wise will help get that contract.
Respectfully, I don't think the statement thing would work - that would just be throwing down the gauntlet of challenge to a rabid press corp - but I do hope his play on the ice will achieve the desired outcome, for his sake most of all and for our sake as fans.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If we want to stop stigmatizing mental illness, we'll stop treating those who suffer with it differently than other people. Max Domi made public that he is a diabetic last year. Did the press preface every question after the article came out with a comment about his diabetes? No. they just treated him like a hockey player. Max Domi has an illness. Robin Lehner has an illness. What's the difference? The difference is one can be sensationalized and the other can't. Just treat Robin Lehner the same way Max Domi is treated. As a hockey player.

I think this is a step towards not stigmatizing mental illness. It is important for young children to see adults with disorders similar to theirs fight through it and come out on top.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not a chance, mate. I think your take on this is off and I'll say so if I please. I haven't insulted anyone or broken any rules.

Yes, they're both illnesses, but it is different.
They are different illnesses to be sure, but there is no reason to treat one differently than the other from a media perspective other than that one is known to cause stigmatization and arouse public interest for all the wrong reasons based on old stereotypes. The other one is just boring old diabetes. For a press that claims to want to end such exploitation they love to exploit it, and do.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think this is a step towards not stigmatizing mental illness. It is important for young children to see adults with disorders similar to theirs fight through it and come out on top.
I don't disagree with anything you have written here but I also think that there is right way to present it and an exploitative way. Too much of the latter is going on in the name of the former in my opinion.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
They are different illnesses to be sure, but there is no reason to treat one differently than the other from a media perspective other than that one is known to cause stigmatization and arouse public interest for all the wrong reasons based on old stereotypes. The other one is just boring old diabetes. For a press that claims to want to end such exploitation they love to exploit it, and do.

Hey, if you want to go ahead thinking that it's the same as diabetes, knock yourself out, man. But, the point remains the same. He invited the questions and they'll persist until it plays itself out. There's nothing unfair or exploitative about it.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
As an Isles fan we should be happy about almost any coverage of our team and players. If someone reads something about him and it it makes a connection, it's all good.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hey, if you want to go ahead thinking that it's the same as diabetes, knock yourself out, man. But, the point remains the same. He invited the questions and they'll persist until it plays itself out. There's nothing unfair or exploitative about it.
I never said that diabetes and bipolar disorder are the same illness so please stop suggesting that I have. I said that they are both illnesses and should be treated by the press in the same manner, with respect and discretion, as all illnesses should be (don't want to get caught up on diabetes - it was just an example). There is an important difference.

One last point, I have never said it is unfair. As you have noted, RL decided to go public and so it is fair game. At the same time, it is unquestionably exploitative and it is being exploited precisely because bipolar disorder is considered a mental illness. If it were not a disease of the mind we wouldn't be hearing another word about it.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Very very very confusing take. I'd imagine Lehner is glad to bring recognition to the issue. Having the courage to face the problem and seek the help needed and not feel alone in their struggle- is a very realistic reason as to why Lehner spoke up about this in the first place.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Lehner spoke of this to reach others in the same situation. He has done that and i think he just want to play hockey. He mught eventually get tierd of it and beat the crap out of some unrepectfull idiot. And then the fragile bubble he lives in might burst. He might have brought this on himself, that doesent mean he can handle it, or should have to handle it. Questions about his work, he should answer,but nothing more if it in anyway interfear with his work. All thats best for him is best for the team. And as a fan you should defend your team and its players. Dont know if he has shown any signs of being fed up yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->