Post-Game Talk: Hey look, another OTL

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'm OK with that not being called. I'm not OK with Z's decision making that got him into that spot.

That last goal was a softy. It was a nicely placed shot, for sure, but it was just Mrazek and the shooter and it didn't look like Mrazek was cheating. He just got beat.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Elliot is right. This was actually a good non-call. Those types of plays, when the stick doesn't break, it's a good defensive play.
Which could be said about 99% of those slashing calls. And hey, shooting the puck over the glass in the d-zone used to be considered a good defensive play.

Automatic penalty is automatic. If you open the door to making them judgement calls it's a can of worms. Terrible, terrible non-call.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Elliot is right. This was actually a good non-call. Those types of plays, when the stick doesn't break, it's a good defensive play.

Agreed. Stick on stick used to be totally legal. The newer interpretation of the rule is an adjustment to today's incredibly fragile sticks, not a bedrock principle that stick on stick contact is or should be verboten.

If Mrazek makes the fairly routine save a moment later, nobody is talking about this play.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Which could be said about 99% of those slashing calls. And hey, shooting the puck over the glass in the d-zone used to be considered a good defensive play.

Automatic penalty is automatic. If you open the door to making them judgement calls it's a can of worms. Terrible, terrible non-call.

Except it's not automatic, this happens quite a bit and are non-calls. Every time it happens people panic and declare it the non-call of the century. The problem isn't that this was some anomalous non-call, but part of how inconsistent these calls are. The refs call this quite a bit, but they also don't enough that this isn't surprising.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

This is my biggest problem with the NHL. Automatic penalties that are only automatic if the refs feel like it, but when they are called, we are all told that they are automatic. Unless its a blatant trip on a man making headway with the puck, a fight or a unnecessary cross check in the back, its almost impossible to have certainty on whether something will be called or not.

For a sport its size, NHL officiating is really very very poor.

The very fact that we can't agree on whether a guy having his stick snapped in half twice in 30 seconds is a penalty suggests that the NHL has an indefensible lack of clarity and consistency.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm OK with that not being called.

Why? It takes Zetterberg out of the play and basically creats a 3-on-2 the other way. He can't play with a broken stick, which was a direct result from a slash of an opposing player. That's a penalty.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
16473516_730020687163272_8549424166593910540_n.jpg

So far 3 otl on bad calls and 4 regulation calls. That's 11 points but most of you want the wings to lose.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think it's a stretch to call it a slash. The guy turned and took a weak, one handed swing at the puck, and hit Zetterberg's stick on accident. The ref could interpret it as a slash just to make a call, but I think it's easier to interpret it as an attempt to play the puck and not even a move that was "forceful."

It stings because Columbus walked down and scored, but I have a hard time seeing it and honestly calling it a slash.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I think it's a stretch to call it a slash. The guy turned and took a weak, one handed swing at the puck, and hit Zetterberg's stick on accident. The ref could interpret it as a slash just to make a call, but I think it's easier to interpret it as an attempt to play the puck and not even a move that was "forceful."

It stings because Columbus walked down and scored, but I have a hard time seeing it and honestly calling it a slash.

So lets say that hi z's face. Would that be ok? no then breaking a stick isnt ok either.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So lets say that hi z's face. Would that be ok? no then breaking a stick isnt ok either.

that's also high sticking, not slashing. If you're turning around and flailing your stick at head level, you're clearly not making any sort of attempt at the puck.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Except it's not automatic, this happens quite a bit and are non-calls. Every time it happens people panic and declare it the non-call of the century. The problem isn't that this was some anomalous non-call, but part of how inconsistent these calls are. The refs call this quite a bit, but they also don't enough that this isn't surprising.
It is automatic, it's called 19 times out of 20 if the refs actually see it. Even when it's clearly not much of a slash. It was a bad non-call, nothing more to it.

Oct 18, 2006
And an example of why +/- stat is misleading, AA just came on for Z, and yet is a - because of it.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Bad team loses to better team. Definitely the fault of the refs.

I get the point you are making, but that really is a contemptible post. What has the relative merits of the teams got to do with any individual game or the refs.

Columbus are a better team than Detroit at present. Tonight's game was fairly even bar parts of the 3rd. A possible major non-call led to the winning goal.

None of these points are mutually exclusive. If you aren't willing to accept that, perhaps reality is too complex?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The extra point should go to the ref.

CBJ gets to skate 6 on 5, no call
Slash Z's stick in OT, no call

Wings deserved the Win. I thought they looked like the more hungry team. I am really liking Jensen. AA finally had a game where he was actually noticeable.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Thank God for loser points. People still think we can make playoffs LOL. But we will have enough loser points to hurt ourselfs in the lottery.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
that's also high sticking, not slashing. If you're turning around and flailing your stick at head level, you're clearly not making any sort of attempt at the puck.

Sure, but what if it wasn't a stick at all, but a spoon? You're going to tell me the ref hasn't played sticky spoony before?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I'm OK with that not being called. I'm not OK with Z's decision making that got him into that spot.

That last goal was a softy. It was a nicely placed shot, for sure, but it was just Mrazek and the shooter and it didn't look like Mrazek was cheating. He just got beat.

Completely agree... Absolutely.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Exactly!!! How can you see it any other way? Someone calls it a "hack", how is it possible to hack with one hand? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Weird how an OT blast from far range goes in like that. I think nerves play a part for the goalies when it goes 3-3.

Beauty shot by Jones though the guy is skating and playing excellent. I know many have been raving about him for years but he's really becoming a legitimate star.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Exactly!!! How can you see it any other way? Someone calls it a "hack", how is it possible to hack with one hand? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Weird how an OT blast from far range goes in like that. I think nerves play a part for the goalies when it goes 3-3.

Beauty shot by Jones though the guy is skating and playing excellent. I know many have been raving about him for years but he's really becoming a legitimate star.

Columbus' D is so far ahead of schedule, it's crazy. They have Jones, Murray, Werenski, Savard, Johnson, and Harrington I think. Werenski and Jones have top five-ish potential. Man, they're legit top pairing guys right now. Murray is steady as is Savard. They should be showing flashes, not consistent top level play at this age. D take longer to develop, and those guys, wow.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Wings play the remainder of the season like they played tonight, then there's still a chance they can make the playoffs. This was an overall pretty good game by them, but were cheated out of the extra point by refs.

Flyers are 4-5-1 their last 10, Wings are 4-1-4 their last 10. OTT lost in regulation tonight.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I get the point you are making, but that really is a contemptible post. What has the relative merits of the teams got to do with any individual game or the refs.

Columbus are a better team than Detroit at present. Tonight's game was fairly even bar parts of the 3rd. A possible major non-call led to the winning goal.

None of these points are mutually exclusive. If you aren't willing to accept that, perhaps reality is too complex?
Actually, here's the point I'm making:

It's entirely possible, in a given random game, that the officials botched one or more calls, and it played a significant, even vital role in determining the outcome of the game. The human element is always prone to mistakes.

But when a given team is toward the bottom of the standings after 50+ games, and several fans continue to go to the well of, "the refs hosed us again"...I call shenanigans.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
If Wings play the remainder of the season like they played tonight, then there's still a chance they can make the playoffs. This was an overall pretty good game by them, but were cheated out of the extra point by refs.

Flyers are 4-5-1 their last 10, Wings are 4-1-4 their last 10. OTT lost in regulation tonight.

Yes I also thought it was a good game by the Wings. The last 3 games they've been competitive and it's much more entertaining personally than how bad they've been earlier this season. You mentioned AA, there's a huge difference when he's on or not, he was very noticeable, so was Mantha. Nyquist and Tatar...the whole team is giving 100%.

Still stand by my prediction from December they'll miss. They've dug such a deep hole. Redmond said they need wins in 2 of every 3 games starting last night, we got 1/2 of 1 to start. It's going to change too when the desperation level rises vs. other teams fighting to be in.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

There was 60 minutes of hockey played before overtime and we generated very few quality shots outside of the first six minutes of the game. Because it was an OT loss, however, 9 out of 10 posts will discuss the game winning goal as if it was the only reason we lost and there was absolutely nothing else that could have altered the outcome of the game during those 60 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad