Post-Game Talk: Hey Everyone! We Won!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Makes me wonder where the Oilers had him in their draft rankings. Have to think theyd take a number of players over Yak in hind sight

I was looking back at that Draft year. Burke's statement that Reilly was the best player doesn't seem so insane anymore. Forsberg seems to be his main rival at this point with a slight edge but I wouldn't count out Galchenyuk yet either.

Either way he was a great pick at 5

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Rielly is just scratching the surface on his potential. He's really come into his own the last little while.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Some fans cheer for what is best for their favourite team, while others cheer for what is best for themselves. To each their own a fan has free choice to support as they see fit. I suppose it comes down to big picture verses immediate gratification.

Disappointed that the result of a game was not in the best interest of the team long-term shows more passion and caring for their favourite team not less. These kinds of fans are less likely to leave their own team because they're emotionally invested in the outcome win or lose.

In a lost season a fan that is upset with a win knows it weakens the draft pick (which hurts the future) and since they're in it for the long haul (with no intent of leaving or jumping ship anytime soon) that is what is at the root of their feelings of disappointment with the unfavourable result.
What a crock of **** ( not surprising considering the source). Yes, cheering for your team to lose is the ultimate selfless act.

I will never in my life understand someone who is genuinely angry his team won.

I understand that this is hf boards, but the amount of faith people put in a 17 year old to turn this ship around is hilariously pathetic.

FAIL FOR NAIL LEAF NATION!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I still have my doubts Gally is a #1C on a contending team in the NHL.

I am more certain Rielly or Murray will be #1D's on a contending team, this was always my contention before the draft why I would take a D that draft over Yak or Gally. That was my reasoning.

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
Exactly

Some fans cheer for what is best for their favourite team, while others cheer for what is best for themselves. To each their own a fan has free choice to support as they see fit. I suppose it comes down to big picture verses immediate gratification.

Disappointed that the result of a game was not in the best interest of the team long-term shows more passion and caring for their favourite team not less. These kinds of fans are less likely to leave their own team because they're emotionally invested in the outcome win or lose.

In a lost season a fan that is upset with a win knows it weakens the draft pick (which hurts the future) and since they're in it for the long haul (with no intent of leaving or jumping ship anytime soon) that is what is at the root of their feelings of disappointment with the unfavourable result.

Well said man. All those fans cheering at the game last night banging on the glass, are the same ones throwing jerseys when they lose. The REAL fan wants what's best for the future, not the moment.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

I am more certain Rielly or Murray will be #1D's on a contending team, this was always my contention before the draft why I would take a D that draft over Yak or Gally. That was my reasoning.

Yup, Rielly was a great choice, Kadri is coming along great, Percy looks good, as does Finn... Maybe the Leafs drafting isn't so bad after all...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You don't think Percy or Finn are coming along?
I know your feelings on Kadri.

Percy needs to be in the NHL next year. I thought he was good enough to start the season, not sure why he was yanked back to the AHL. I think he is a useful pick and Burke loved him, almost as much as Rielly. That is a good thing to have in your corner.

Too early to tell on Finn. I loved the value of him at 35 when we got him. He needs to find a way to play in the NHL with his skating. I don't expect him to be a great skater in the NHL, but he can improve on it. He has the brains to play in this league, I know this. Give him some time.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Yup, Rielly was a great choice, Kadri is coming along great, Percy looks good, as does Finn... Maybe the Leafs drafting isn't so bad after all...

Outside the 1st and 2nd round, Leafs don't have much to show for. And as a team that has been on the bottom 5 for this long, should have acquired more picks in the 1st and 2nd round. But we have been trading them away.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Thankfully the Leafs don't play Edmonton often because that would be horrible for the tank, lol.

Reilly continues to be the star of the pack. His post game interview was really impressive too. He didn't even flinch about his goal when asked about it. He put the team ahead of his own individual game. He's showing characteristics of developing into a real leader.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nice to see them finally win again, score some goals.

Not surprised they won this one. Hard to see them winning many more this year.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Percy needs to be in the NHL next year. I thought he was good enough to start the season, not sure why he was yanked back to the AHL. I think he is a useful pick and Burke loved him, almost as much as Rielly. That is a good thing to have in your corner.

Too early to tell on Finn. I loved the value of him at 35 when we got him. He needs to find a way to play in the NHL with his skating. I don't expect him to be a great skater in the NHL, but he can improve on it. He has the brains to play in this league, I know this. Give him some time.

Just simply not good enough. Those first few games he played this season he looked phenomenal but he trailed off pretty hard after that. I do think he can easily be a full-time NHL'er next year though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You don't think Percy or Finn are coming along?
I know your feelings on Kadri.

Percy and Finn are coming along and might be decent support pieces in the future but seriously, every team has a Percy and Finn somewhere in the organization. They are not going to fix the major problem and that is the core. This core has proven over and over it is incapable of getting the job done. Your best players get you to the playoffs and your depth wins you the cup. For all the non tankers, it's funny how our best player through this disaster has been our own pick at #5. Top of the draft. Then Winnik/Santorelli. Not the castoffs and quick fixes.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Percy and Finn are coming along and might be decent support pieces in the future but seriously, every team has a Percy and Finn somewhere in the organization. They are not going to fix the major problem and that is the core. This core has proven over and over it is incapable of getting the job done. Your best players get you to the playoffs and your depth wins you the cup. For all the non tankers, it's funny how our best player through this disaster has been our own pick at #5. Top of the draft. Then Winnik/Santorelli. Not the castoffs and quick fixes.

I'll give a more detailed response when I'm not on a phone, but couldn't one just as easily say that it's kinda funny that when that castoff is our best player we are a playoff team and possibly even top 4 in the conference, yet when our own top 5 pick is our best player we are a bottom 2 nhl team?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'll give a more detailed response when I'm not on a phone, but couldn't one just as easily say that it's kinda funny that when that castoff is our best player we are a playoff team and possibly even top 4 in the conference, yet when our own top 5 pick is our best player we are a bottom 2 nhl team?

Our top 5 pick is 20 years old. What the excuse for the rest? We are a playoff team? You mean once in a 48 game season? Nice try. The core is going nowhere unless you can prove where it has gotten better? I don't need a more detailed response. You believe in the core, I don't. I can give you 100 reasons and you will have 101 excuses. No playoffs. No playoffs.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
I don't think a top 5 pick is absolutely detrimental to our success. Teams like CHI, ANA, DET etc have done a good job of drafting talent without being bottom feeders. I think our management group of dubas, hunter and shanahan is definately capable. Not to mention picks coming from Santorelli, Winnik, Franson would be big on draft day.

Frankly, i'm going to watch nearly all the leafs games and would prefer to not let them be called trash for the remainder of the season. Going from bottom 10 to bottom 5 isn't going to turn this franchise around

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
You can't lose them all. Just like how team can't win all 82 games, teams also can't lose all 82 games. You're being delusional if you think this team loses the remaining games this season. Yes it would be best for the team but that sort of stuff doesn't happen.

threeGo

Oct 18, 2011
Toronto
I don't think a top 5 pick is absolutely detrimental to our success. Teams like CHI, ANA, DET etc have done a good job of drafting talent without being bottom feeders. I think our management group of dubas, hunter and shanahan is definately capable. Not to mention picks coming from Santorelli, Winnik, Franson would be big on draft day.

Frankly, i'm going to watch nearly all the leafs games and would prefer to not let them be called trash for the remainder of the season. Going from bottom 10 to bottom 5 isn't going to turn this franchise around

Lol Chicago. Their core is built on Kane and Toews. Chicago was a bottom feeder for years. DET is the exception. Even Anaheim had down years similar to Philadelphia where one year they'd draft top 8 and the next they are in the playoffs.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Lol Chicago. Their core is built on Kane and Toews. Chicago was a bottom feeder for years. DET is the exception. Even Anaheim had down years similar to Philadelphia where one year they'd draft top 8 and the next they are in the playoffs.

well of course you need elite talent, we have those too with Nylander and Rielly but it needs time. what i was referring to was their awesome prospect group which they got without drafting super high in recent years.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Really? I don't Gally will be a stud no doubt about it. I take him over Murray tbh. All three should be #1.

Playoff team?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

One playoff appearance during shortened season does not make a yearly bottom ten team a "playoff team".

Tyler Biggs*

Yakupov and Petry in a tight race to -40

Having Boyd Gordon on the power play, just shows how bad the Oilers really are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad