Post-Game Talk: Hey Everyone! We Won!

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Looked great against the Oilers doesn't mean ****. Where has he been the last 20 games..
He's largely been used in a heavy defensive role while Bozak was given a top scoring role from the get go. To expect him ( or Kadri for that matter) to suddenly produce at high levels is not realistic.

Complement him with more appropriate offensive forwards and he'll start producing more reliably.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yes we beat a poor Edmonton team but let's not discount the Clarkson factor. We are a better team when he is not in the lineup, the numbers back that up AINEC.

But it shouldn't be that hard to trade Clarkson with his horrible contract and now time spent in the press box.

:sarcasm:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Can't lose em all. I guess if they were going to win, Military night was a good night to do it.

I thought that the pre-game ceremony was really appropriate when they brought out the tanks (or tank-like vehicles). It was like the Canadian military were embracing and fully on board with the tank.

:yo:

:D

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Despite everything, that goal by Rielly is my highlight of the season. So much potential, skill, smarts. He will be a staple of this team moving forward.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Buying him out saves no money. This has been beaten to death.

I think i heard or read somewhere that because his contract is laden with performance bonuses that might be a problem with regards to buying him out.

Not talking about saving money. We all know the contract situation. It's loke Montreal telling Gomez don't come back. How bad do you want him off the team?

Just tell him to stay home. Buying him out is completely idiotic.

The Leafs really only have a couple of options to move Clarkson.

They can make a trade similar to the JML for Gleason. Or, they can retain a big chunk of his salary. They could also do some combination of the two.

Not going to be pretty either way. That's a first class boat anchor contract right there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
11 losses in a row was enough embarrassment for the organization top to bottom.

Oilers are where they are because of goaltending like that. Those first 2 goals should be ones an AHL goalie wouldn't give up nevermind an NHLer, but then again during our losing streak we also have had goals against that had no business going in.

Rielly's goal was a beauty and Santorelli was a snipe and that was more than enough to defeat the lowly Oilers who mailed it in all night.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Man I was never more angry about a win before in my life. I know I want them to win and everything but at the same time I was fully accepting us losing from now on and getting the best pick possible. So winning now just feels like a loss.

I accept that we're not making the playoffs and want as good a pick as possible but stuff like this gets me.
When you're cheering against your own team to the point that them winning actually pisses you off its time to find a new team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I accept that we're not making the playoffs and want as good a pick as possible but stuff like this gets me.
When you're cheering against your own team to the point that them winning actually pisses you off its time to find a new team.

Some fans cheer for what is best for their favourite team, while others cheer for what is best for themselves. To each their own a fan has free choice to support as they see fit. I suppose it comes down to big picture verses immediate gratification.

Disappointed that the result of a game was not in the best interest of the team long-term shows more passion and caring for their favourite team not less. These kinds of fans are less likely to leave their own team because they're emotionally invested in the outcome win or lose.

In a lost season a fan that is upset with a win knows it weakens the draft pick (which hurts the future) and since they're in it for the long haul (with no intent of leaving or jumping ship anytime soon) that is what is at the root of their feelings of disappointment with the unfavourable result.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its a shame Reimer couldn't record a shutout in this one as it was spoiled late.

James hadn't won a game since mid December so this must have felt good nonetheless.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Despite everything, that goal by Rielly is my highlight of the season. So much potential, skill, smarts. He will be a staple of this team moving forward.

Makes me wonder where the Oilers had him in their draft rankings. Have to think theyd take a number of players over Yak in hind sight

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
I am not sure what game some folks were watching but that was dreadful hockey, (save the Morgan Reilly show). Nobody wanted those points very badly, the lack of intensity was nauseating, and the finish, well..... They are not making the playoffs, and I sure hope they don't scape together enough wins to fork up their draft as I am thinking they will probably do AGAIN. Oy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Makes me wonder where the Oilers had him in their draft rankings. Have to think theyd take a number of players over Yak in hind sight

Or Ryan Murray, I had Murray as the #1 player in the 2012 draft. Never was as high on Yakupov or Gally.

If Edmonton drafted Murray or Rielly, they wouldn't be world beaters, but they would have direction. I am not crazy about RNH either. Imagine if they picked Landeskog and add him to Hall and Murray? Nice core there. Pretty bad drafting by the Oil.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Or Ryan Murray, I had Murray as the #1 player in the 2012 draft. Never was as high on Yakupov or Gally.

If Edmonton drafted Murray or Rielly, they wouldn't be world beaters, but they would have direction. I am not crazy about RNH either. Imagine if they picked Landeskog and add him to Hall and Murray? Nice core there. Pretty bad drafting by the Oil.

If you believe the rumours, the Oil wanted Murray at no. 1 but the owner vetoed it and they took Yak. Not sure if it's true. They would have been better off with Galchenyuk at no. 1.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If you believe the rumours, the Oil wanted Murray at no. 1 but the owner vetoed it and they took Yak. Not sure if it's true. They would have been better off with Galchenyuk at no. 1.

I would still take Murray or Rielly over Gally, still have not changed my mind on that one.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I'm hoping for some REAL players on my team AGAIN in the future. Like Domi, Like Belfour, like Gilmour, like Sundin like Roberts like Polak like Komarov.

This team is awful and dirt. Hate some of these players with no passion at all. Awful millionares. I want different players playing for my jersey.

Let me introduce you to Rielly, Morgan

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
11 losses in a row was enough embarrassment for the organization top to bottom.

Oilers are where they are because of goaltending like that. Those first 2 goals should be ones an AHL goalie wouldn't give up nevermind an NHLer, but then again during our losing streak we also have had goals against that had no business going in.

Rielly's goal was a beauty and Santorelli was a snipe and that was more than enough to defeat the lowly Oilers who mailed it in all night.

Trade value increasing!

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Now in 2015 we need to draft the center version of Rielly. Build around this and use the old core to provide them a foundation.

If we can draft us a guy like McDavid or Strome, this franchise's future will have done a 180 building around one of the above, Rielly and Nylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad