News Article: Hexy- no push to sign B Schenn

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
People who know his tendencies in NCAA have stated that he's been pretty flexible with his rosters, changing systems and strategy over the years to suit the players he has.

It was a general statement in that if a coach can't adjust they're not going to last long in today's NHL. The jury is still out on Hakstol so I'm not going to say one way or another at this point.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It was a general statement in that if a coach can't adjust they're not going to last long in today's NHL. I'm not going to label Hakstol anything at this point without seeing how he does the NHL.

NCAA rosters see a lot of turnover, a team can be very different every 2-3 years. Many NHL rosters are far more stable than that. For an NCAA coach to last as long as someone like Hakstol, in any sport, they need to be flexible. It has been mentioned that while he prefers a roster that can skate, he's had slower rosters and coached appropriately for them.

But as you said, we'll see if he translates to the NHL.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I'd rather see him moved now in a deal for a LW if possible. My concern is that he comes to camp and his weaknesses are exposed in Hakstol's offensive system where speed is critical.

I agree for the right return of course. Somebody more suited to the wing and maybe more consistent. If nothing worthwhile comes up then he's fine to keep as he is very talented and has the potential to get better and more consistent. I just worry about guys who play the game the way he does. There were so many games last year where he just did nothing. In the Rangers series the year before he just didn't exist. Granted neither did his linemates or the rest of the team really but I wonder if his talent could bring back a winger that's young and has more fire in him for 82 games - instead of ~50...

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I agree for the right return of course. Somebody more suited to the wing and maybe more consistent. If nothing worthwhile comes up then he's fine to keep as he is very talented and has the potential to get better and more consistent. I just worry about guys who play the game the way he does. There were so many games last year where he just did nothing. In the Rangers series the year before he just didn't exist. Granted neither did his linemates or the rest of the team really but I wonder if his talent could bring back a winger that's young and has more fire in him for 82 games - instead of ~50...
Exactly; for the right return. He is an asset and not a give away. The worst case scenario is that The Flyers QO him after next season and take the compensation when he gets offer sheeted.
My problems with Schenn are: (1) that he is a center and if he stays at that position he'll cost too much for a third liner; (2) Some players can move back and forth between center and wing but Schenn doesn't seem to be able to do that. His speed is an issue in the middle and his lack of strength is one on the wing. (3) He was an early physical maturer. He looked great in Junior against guys that were not bigger/faster than him. He hasn't improved physically since then while his opponents have. Now when he goes up against guys, he doesn't fare as well. Opponents know that. Ex.-if the Caps put Wilson on the ice against him, he is a non-entity. If the right return could be had for him, I'd move him along.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Exactly; for the right return. He is an asset and not a give away. The worst case scenario is that The Flyers QO him after next season and take the compensation when he gets offer sheeted.
My problems with Schenn are: (1) that he is a center and if he stays at that position he'll cost too much for a third liner; (2) Some players can move back and forth between center and wing but Schenn doesn't seem to be able to do that. His speed is an issue in the middle and his lack of strength is one on the wing. (3) He was an early physical maturer. He looked great in Junior against guys that were not bigger/faster than him. He hasn't improved physically since then while his opponents have. Now when he goes up against guys, he doesn't fare as well. Opponents know that. Ex.-if the Caps put Wilson on the ice against him, he is a non-entity. If the right return could be had for him, I'd move him along.

You're seriously trying to sell that he was an early maturer looking like this:
brayden_schenn_canadacardworld-e1293653902261.jpg

Some times your skill level just doesn't fully translate at the NHL level that's case with Schenn.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Speed has been a necessity for his players at ND. It's why several of the Flyers players won't be here for much longer and Schenn is one of them. His lack of speed made him an anchor on G and Vorachek's line and got him moved. Coots is the second line center. If you're putting Schenn on LW, you're banging a square peg into a round hole. Not all centers can do that.

He's no speedster but I wouldn't call B Schenn slow.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Starting to get frustrated reading a lot of this. Schenn is not a bad player. He was highly touted and hasn't lived up to that hype. He has yet to get any kind of consistent role with the team. He played all three forward positions last year I believe on at least three different lines. He is a young inconsistent play who shows signs and flashes of the dominance he had in juniors and the ahl. Would I love him to have come in and been the best from the door yes.

If that would have been the case he would have made the la team instead of being sent back.

I am hopeful he can start becoming more consistent. I see him being a better all round winger than simonds. A thought that will get me butchered in here. His biggest comparable was Richards with better skill and less defense. His biggest issue fans have with him are what their expectations were of him and him not living up.

If he gets traded I see sharp, williams, Richards, carter, success from him. He looks like he could be and really good player for the right team.

Fact is he played better at lw than other rws we tried there be cause he has some skill. He doesn't seem to think the game the same as some of our better players.

Played very well with voracek during the lock out season till they moved him up to jump start g. And that was at center. Had some success with simonds but that line would disappear for time even strength wise. As simonds has always done. Played very well with couts last year and the lock out year in ahl.

I am not trying to knock any player here just stating what I actually watched. Other players have tried other stops and struggle there as well. I would like to reserve judgement on what he is capable of when I see him being used consistently. I still have hope for him to find/ take his role for himself. He has been a great teammate. I still think he is better at any position than what we have trying to make the team.

Patience is what is being preached let's practice it ourselves. Would I be upset if we trade yes and no. Cause at this point I believe the return would look more like the jvr one than what we would want. Jvr is being praise as a stud in Toronto because he is getting better mins than here not playing better.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
Ps sorry for my rant. Long crappie day at work.

i agree with everything said.

A lot of people knock him because he played a lot with G and Jake and didn't mesh with them... everyone forgets that he scored 20 goals not on they're wing... theres a lot left in the tank there and I'm eager to see what Hakstol gets out of him.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
For the record, I'm also still a fan of Schenn. Do I think he lived up to Holmgren's hype? Nope, but I didn't believe the hype back then anyway. But he's a good player and I really hope he stays on the team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
For the record, I'm also still a fan of Schenn. Do I think he lived up to Holmgren's hype? Nope, but I didn't believe the hype back then anyway. But he's a good player and I really hope he stays on the team.

It wasn't Holmgren hype. Schenn was the #1 ranked prospect 1.5 years after being drafted.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2011/03/interview-with-hockeys-1-prospect-brayden-schenn/

But as you said, I too have no issue keeping Schenn in the team. I just am not sure where he will fit going forward. But if he can go thru all the shuffling he did last year and get 47 points, adding a bunch more if he finds that comfort spot should be expected.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
No one is indicating that Schenn is a dog of a player. He has value however he is at a position of surplus on this team where he may has less skills than Giroux and Couturier. Even as a third line center, Laughton may have more value. Then there is the issue of his contract where he is probably going to be seeking a multi year deal in the four million dollar area.
The concept that any center can be taken from that position and moved to the wing is fallacious. A player who has been at the center position has been trained to view the ice and play the game in a different way than a wing. The same is true of a wing. To move a player from one of these positions to the other is a major change that is difficult formally to do. To assume that Schenn can make this is placing a lot of trust in a chancey situation. When Schenn has had to go up against tough wingers like Tom Wilson, it has not gone well for him in the past.
The Flyers need LWs. If trading Schenn to obtain one is possible, its a better option than moving him to wing.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It wasn't Holmgren hype. Schenn was the #1 ranked prospect 1.5 years after being drafted.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2011/03/interview-with-hockeys-1-prospect-brayden-schenn/

But as you said, I too have no issue keeping Schenn in the team. I just am not sure where he will fit going forward. But if he can go thru all the shuffling he did last year and get 47 points, adding a bunch more if he finds that comfort spot should be expected.

If anything Lombardi hyped him up but yeah he was hyped in general.

He is still salvageable and by no means some bust.....but he needs to absolutely take that next step this season and become more consistent with his play and production. If he can't then we can chalk it up to the Schenn gene pool....

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I'm pretty sure the context is that he doesn't plan on signing him this summer.

I agree. Ron is a big fan of Brayden's so I am not worried in the least about losing him. The kid is a gamer who even though he has been bounced around from position to position he has not complained and just keeps on working his tail off. I still believe he is part of the youth core of this team.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
So do you guys think this is the year we move both schenns for a top 6 lw? I have a feeling that's what will happen if we are out of contention around the trade deadline

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Schenn + Schenn + 2nd 2016 for Jaden Schwartz

Schwartz-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Laughton-Gagner
Bellemare-White-Umberger

This trade is very unrealistic. But imagine him in our top 6. I am in favour of packaging Schenn for a proven LW

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would be shocked if either Schenn is moved at all. I think Luke is allowed to leave as a FA and Brayden will earn a new contract this year.

I'd say there a larger chance of someone like Streit or Schultz being moved if we're far out of the playoff picture by the deadline.

tytech

Jan 4, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Schenn has statistically gotten better every year. Why would we trade that when he keeps getting better and better? Plus, he's had inconsistencies in line mates and position over that time but still keeps improving.

Keep the kid and see where he takes himself.

PhillyCurt12

Apr 12, 2010
I would be shocked if either Schenn is moved at all. I think Luke is allowed to leave as a FA and Brayden will earn a new contract this year.

I'd say there a larger chance of someone like Streit or Schultz being moved if we're far out of the playoff picture by the deadline.
If Hexy is planning on letting Luke walk, there's no way he isn't traded by the deadline

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well yeah, if we're far from the playoffs he'll probably try to trade him, but I don't think we'll be sellers this deadline. I think there's a good chance we're in the hunt for a wildcard spot for most of the season.

PhillyCurt12

Apr 12, 2010
Well yeah, if we're far from the playoffs he'll probably try to trade him, but I don't think we'll be sellers this deadline. I think there's a good chance we're in the hunt for a wildcard spot for most of the season.

Fair enough. I'm a little less optimistic about where we'll be at that point in the season though

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
LSchenn could be traded even if the Flyers are in the playoff hunt. San Jose did that with Clowe (who was also a UFA) in 2013.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00