News Article: Hexy- no push to sign B Schenn

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
From today's DN, Hexy not planning on signing B Schenn

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/320225021.html

“I’m not sure there’ll be a push,” Hextall said Thursday. “I’ve spoke with Brayden’s agents a number of times over the summer about different things and the subject has never come up. It’s not something we’re in a hurry to do and I’m assuming they feel the same way.”
Schenn might not be in Flyers long term plans.
"I don’t anticipate signing Brayden, which never means that you’re not going to. But it’s not something that we’ll actively pursue. .”

Last edited:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Schenn is still signed for this season, Hextall wants Brayden to show him something worth signing. Obviously he has put up top 6 points and has had some good streaks, but he still needs to put things together so to speak. Has the tools, now he needs to become the player he was drafted to be.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah that's this summer he is referring to. Obviously he doesnt mean ever. The guy is an RFA next summer for christ sakes.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was obviously just talking about this summer. He's saying that there's no rush to sign him and that both Hextall and Schenns agents are happy to wait until either partway through or after the season.

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
Reading into it a bit it's evident both sides feel its a make or break year for him. His agents are okay with holding off because they know if he takes another step he'll get paid handsomely, while for the Flyers, if its just more of the same up and down from Schenn this year they can turn around and deal him at deadline or immediate offseason while he still has value. I do think the Flyers like him though and want to see him succeed. I also think if he does become more consistent ect. then the Flyers will sign him but I dont think it'll be 6,7,8 years-more like 3-4 (imo).

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
yup. Hextall sees the same thing many of us do. he is a talented kid but he has to be more consistent on both sides of the puck. If he has a good season he will be rewarded.
I don't know if he is here for 16/17 if he doesn't show improvement in his game. IMO. No, that's not what I get out of what Hextall is saying. That is just my opinion.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Reading into it a bit it's evident both sides feel its a make or break year for him. His agents are okay with holding off because they know if he takes another step he'll get paid handsomely, while for the Flyers, if its just more of the same up and down from Schenn this year they can turn around and deal him at deadline or immediate offseason while he still has value. I do think the Flyers like him though and want to see him succeed. I also think if he does become more consistent ect. then the Flyers will sign him but I dont think it'll be 6,7,8 years-more like 3-4 (imo).

I wonder what would happen if he really breaks out this year...like 30g, 65 points or something. Would you commit to him long term on a big deal or would you look to move him while his value is sky high?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Schenn is still signed for this season, Hextall wants Brayden to show him something worth signing. Obviously he has put up top 6 points and has had some good streaks, but he still needs to put things together so to speak. Has the tools, now he needs to become the player he was drafted to be.

I agree. I still feel he will be here long term but there are some young guys moving up the pipeline who will need a spot on the big club soon. Dam this is nice to have this talent coming.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wonder what would happen if he really breaks out this year...like 30g, 65 points or something. Would you commit to him long term on a big deal or would you look to move him while his value is sky high?

Depends on what's out there for him, but we've waited a long time for him to break out and it would be a shame to move him as soon as he does. If he can get a return like Saad got though, I.E. top 6 forward and prospect with top 6 potential, then you might have to.

SchennSational1022*

Exactly, he's not just going to not sign him. Schenn still has potential to be a much better player and Hexy is banking on him proving himself this year, people are looking way too much into this.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York

If Brayden schenn hits 65 points as a center he is not only going to be worth quite a bit, but the flyers might be cup contenders this season too lol....The flyers would be so stacked down the middle. Laughton would be moved in a second.

65 points is a mid tier first line center. Hextall would be dancing the streets

SchennSational1022*

If Brayden schenn hits 65 points as a center he is not only going to be worth quite a bit, but the flyers might be cup contenders this season too lol....The flyers would be so stacked down the middle. Laughton would be moved in a second.

65 points is a mid tier first line center. Hextall would be dancing the streets

60 points is very realistic for Schenn, he already had ~50 this year and hasn't quite hit his groove yet in the NHL or been played at a single position consistently. With an improved Flyers team this year I'll actually be disappointed if he doesn't score 60 this year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd rather see him moved now in a deal for a LW if possible. My concern is that he comes to camp and his weaknesses are exposed in Hakstol's offensive system where speed is critical.

If we're going by this fallacy than practically the whole team isn't going to cut it as it's not an overly fast team with Schenn being far from the slowest. A good coach who's worth his salt adjusts to his personnel.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
60 points is very realistic for Schenn, he already had ~50 this year and hasn't quite hit his groove yet in the NHL or been played at a single position consistently. With an improved Flyers team this year I'll actually be disappointed if he doesn't score 60 this year.

I don't see Schenn as a first liner at this point in his career, 60pts comfortable puts him in the top 30 of his position in scoring.

SchennSational1022*

I don't see Schenn as a first liner at this point in his career, 60pts comfortable puts him in the top 30 of his position in scoring.

Sure, but do you really think 13 more points than what he scored this year is unrealistic? It's really not that crazy at all.

BTW he was 31st in LW scoring this year, so by your standard he's already scoring like a first line LW so.....

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I think Schenn's development this year will be key for this team's future. If he's unable to be a consistent secondary scoring option Hextall's job will be made more difficult, and the team's window will be pushed back further. It's way easier to have your current players develop into the roles you need them to play than to go out and find scoring.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If we're going by this fallacy than practically the whole team isn't going to cut it as it's not an overly fast team with Schenn being far from the slowest. A good coach who's worth his salt adjusts to his personnel.
Speed has been a necessity for his players at ND. It's why several of the Flyers players won't be here for much longer and Schenn is one of them. His lack of speed made him an anchor on G and Vorachek's line and got him moved. Coots is the second line center. If you're putting Schenn on LW, you're banging a square peg into a round hole. Not all centers can do that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
While we obviously need more production from him this season....I want to really see him get back to playing aggressive and getting more involved on the forecheck. If he plays passive and inconsistently again..he should move on.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Speed has been a necessity for his players at ND. It's why several of the Flyers players won't be here for much longer and Schenn is one of them. His lack of speed made him an anchor on G and Vorachek's line and got him moved. Coots is the second line center. If you're putting Schenn on LW, you're banging a square peg into a round hole. Not all centers can do that.

What Hakstol did at UND is irrelevant. He had the luxury of not only picking his players but he did so with no restrictions. You're not going to have a roster perfectly tailor made to your needs in today's NHL.

If Hakstol can't adjust to his roster than he's not a very a good coach.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think Schenn's development this year will be key for this team's future. If he's unable to be a consistent secondary scoring option Hextall's job will be made more difficult, and the team's window will be pushed back further. It's way easier to have your current players develop into the roles you need them to play than to go out and find scoring.

You are unfortunately correct. Schenn becoming a solid 2-way C was a big part of the rebuild begun in 2011. If that derails completely and he can't even really gain a hold on wing much less C, it's really problematic for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad