News and Blog Report: Hextall's Comments

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
And they still haven't seen a SCF in over 20 years. :laugh: And they won't be seeing it this year anyway.

People around here set the bar far too low.

Also their coach just scratched their clutchest playoff performer.... What kind of move is that?

Oil were 1 period away from a cup. Habs havent even been invited to the dance in 20 years.

Dont get me wrong the Oil suck epically hard right now. But Im having a hard time listening to the other garbage Canadian teams and idiots like Hextall tell us how bad we suck.

Unless your name is Babcock Bowman etc shut up.

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
Hextall is just like he was when he was a player: dumb and hot-headed.

Let's see now:

Pittsburgh sucked forever
Chicago sucked forever
Detroit sucked forever
St. Louis sucked forever
LA sucked forever

The team he was assistant GM for was a team that drafted 2nd overall because they sucked - see Doughty and the Kings 29th overall finish in 2007/8.

His comments are just cover for a team (name sounds like Philadelphia) who hasn't won a cup for 39 years. Anyone who takes this guy's comments as serious criticism needs some help in the critical thinking department.

Think about it: he's GM of a team that hasn't won a cup for almost 4 decades and the team he was assistant GM for, drafted their franchise defenceman, Doughty, 2nd overall when they finished 29th.

Hextall is a boob and a hypocrite.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Hextall is just like he was when he was a player: dumb and hot-headed.

Let's see now:

Pittsburgh sucked forever
Chicago sucked forever
Detroit sucked forever
St. Louis sucked forever
LA sucked forever

The team he was assistant GM for was a team that drafted 2nd overall because they sucked - see Doughty and the Kings 29th overall finish in 2007/8.

His comments are just cover for a team (name sounds like Philadelphia) who hasn't won a cup for 39 years. Anyone who takes this guy's comments as serious criticism needs some help in the critical thinking department.

Think about it: he's GM of a team that hasn't won a cup for almost 4 decades and the team he was assistant GM for, drafted their franchise defenceman, Doughty, 2nd overall when they finished 29th.

Hextall is a boob and a hypocrite.

Which of any of these teams rebuilt in the cellar for 10 years?
In fact why are you adding Detroit? They're on a sports record of playoff appearance streak.

Penguins sucked forever? They were in the playoffs repeatedly, failed miserably twice. Never looked back.
Chicago was terrible but once the idiot owner died, straight to the top with the new front office hires.
Detroit - no.
St. Louis, they've always been hanging around, had the longest streak before one year out not 10.
LA - Hextall was there from the bottom to the top. But surely Howson's assistant GM work is better right?

You can't compare this team to any of them. Even Dan Tencer would have rebuilt this team in 3 years flat.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Oil were 1 period away from a cup. Habs havent even been invited to the dance in 20 years.

Dont get me wrong the Oil suck epically hard right now. But Im having a hard time listening to the other garbage Canadian teams and idiots like Hextall tell us how bad we suck.

Unless your name is Babcock Bowman etc shut up.

Almost 10 years ago now. Haven't made the playoffs since. Think about that. That final game if someone told you, "The Oilers won't make the playoffs again for 10 years".

In that time
- a Black man was elected President (remember that? That was a long time ago)
obama-hope-obey.jpg

- it was the 5th anniversary of 9/11, now a 1776 foot tower stands there.
progress_07_07.jpg

- it would be a year until the iPhone was introduced
jobs_iphone.jpg

Oh yeah, Steve Jobs also died years ago now.

- 4 months later the PS3 would hit the market
first_ps3_fan_uk425.jpg

- we were two Popes earlier than Francis
woytilawristwatch.jpg

- Sidney Crosby was a rookie
lemieux-crosby.jpg

- Darnell Nurse was 11 years old

Last edited:

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Your post made me laugh, Oscar Acosta--thanks for the history lesson. :laugh: This past season, I think has been the most painful one in franchise history for a lot of fans.

I think that the initial point still stands, however. Most franchises experience long periods of suck. The Oilers also had a period of massive success too in the mid-eighties. They had perhaps the greatest team ever assembled and were the absolute envy of the league. Teams go through ebbs and flows. Hopefully we are rewarded for this disastrous run with years of success.

The teams mentioned did suck for long periods:
Penguins
1982-87 brutal
2001-2005

Blackhawks sucked
1997-2008 (1 first round exit 2002)

Red Wings 1970-83 epic suck

Blues 2005-2011

Kings 2002-2009

Oilers 2007-?

Looking at those records alongside ours provides a little bit of perspective on our own situation. I suspect that we'll have a few moments in the sun as this team matures and improvements are made to the line up. This team has some crazy young talent up front, fairly decent goaltending, and a young, emerging blueline. We need to add a compliment of veteran players. The kids all now have some experience, but they should not be relied upon completely. We need to acquire some of those veterans through the UFA market and a few trades. With some intelligent moves we are not that far away.

For the most part, our main problem has been that the rebuild was done upside down. It can be done, but it's much harder to build a house when you start with the roof.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ah excellent, another black hat like old Burkie that the fans can rally around and hate thus removing the focus from the fact that what he says is 100% correct. "Sure our front office and team stinks but it's only up to us to lambast them and blast them for epic failure! How dare anyone else say a bad thing against them!"

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Which of any of these teams rebuilt in the cellar for 10 years?
In fact why are you adding Detroit? They're on a sports record of playoff appearance streak.

Penguins sucked forever? They were in the playoffs repeatedly, failed miserably twice. Never looked back.
Chicago was terrible but once the idiot owner died, straight to the top with the new front office hires.
Detroit - no.
St. Louis, they've always been hanging around, had the longest streak before one year out not 10.
LA - Hextall was there from the bottom to the top. But surely Howson's assistant GM work is better right?

You can't compare this team to any of them. Even Dan Tencer would have rebuilt this team in 3 years flat.

The pens were brutal for close to 7 years, they were in dire starights and were rumored to be moved. they had several top 5 picks, Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, Whitney, Staal.

Chicago was equally as bad and the only reason they didnt win the tanking awards was because the pens were better at it.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Your post made me laugh, Oscar Acosta--thanks for the history lesson. :laugh: This past season, I think has been the most painful one in franchise history for a lot of fans.

I think that the initial point still stands, however. Most franchises experience long periods of suck. The Oilers also had a period of massive success too in the mid-eighties. They had perhaps the greatest team ever assembled and were the absolute envy of the league. Teams go through ebbs and flows. Hopefully we are rewarded for this disastrous run with years of success.

The teams mentioned did suck for long periods:
Penguins
1982-87 brutal
2001-2005

Blackhawks sucked
1997-2008 (1 first round exit 2002)

Red Wings 1970-83 epic suck

Blues 2005-2011

Kings 2002-2009

Oilers 2007-?

Looking at those records alongside ours provides a little bit of perspective on our own situation. I suspect that we'll have a few moments in the sun as this team matures and improvements are made to the line up. This team has some crazy young talent up front, fairly decent goaltending, and a young, emerging blueline. We need to add a compliment of veteran players. The kids all now have some experience, but they should not be relied upon completely. We need to acquire some of those veterans through the UFA market and a few trades. With some intelligent moves we are not that far away.

For the most part, our main problem has been that the rebuild was done upside down. It can be done, but it's much harder to build a house when you start with the roof.

Exactly. The only problem is our fail has been prolonged by about 2 years. A 5 year rebuild sound a lot better than a 10 year rebuild. I blame management for that.

Chicago is 100% similar to what this team looks like. They got Seabrook and Keith way way back. Everyone stresses they quickly got the cup after they got Kane and Toews. Yes but they had Keith and Seabrook which took the previous 10 years.

As I said this team sucks hard right now. Hextall is a coward always has been thats why he'd go after the ken Linesmans of the world and not lay a finger on Messier. Id love for these two teams to meet in the playoffs 2018.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I will add my usually comment that the rebuild started the day the oilers traded Smyth and it has gone wrong ever since. People like to use the Hall draft because it makes everyone feel a lot happier inside.

I think kids born during Hall's draft year will start school in the fall

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I will add my usually comment that the rebuild started the day the oilers traded Smyth and it has gone wrong ever since. People like to use the Hall draft because it makes everyone feel a lot happier inside.

I think kids born during Hall's draft year will start school in the fall

Screw this "rebuild".
Call it what it is: a free fall onto a broken trampoline. Take the damage level on Gagner's busted mug and skin it onto the rest of the body. We are now in the "dead corpse bouncing" phase of the fall.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This is the only way Edmonton can eventually compete again. No big name players seem to ever stick around long term, so the only way to go up is to rebuild and build up some star players. And no I don't believe the team tanked on purpose.

You can't please everyone. They were bad, they drafted and should be better, but blame the GM's prior to MacT coming in (at least he's trying) and not surrounding the talent with the grit and skill needed to be competitive faster.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

The Oilers were most definitely not rebuilding post Smyth trade. Between February 2007 and December 2009, the Oilers signed Souray and Khabibulin, offer-sheeted Vanek and Penner, traded for Visnovsky and chased after Hossa and Heatley. Those are not remotely the actions of rebuilding team. Those teams were intending to make the playoffs every single year.

They should be using December 2009, since that's when the words "rebuild" were uttered for the first time and it was all of our understanding that we would be at the bottom for a while. Taylor Hall was simply the first (and so far, best) fruit of that labor.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
The Oilers were most definitely not rebuilding post Smyth trade. Between February 2007 and December 2009, the Oilers signed Souray and Khabibulin, offer-sheeted Vanek and Penner, traded for Visnovsky and chased after Hossa and Heatley. Those are not remotely the actions of rebuilding team. Those teams were intending to make the playoffs every single year.

They should be using December 2009, since that's when the words "rebuild" were uttered for the first time and it was all of our understanding that we would be at the bottom for a while. Taylor Hall was simply the first (and so far, best) fruit of that labor.

What's more damn, trying to win for 3 years and having the result be the 2009-10 season, or rebuilding for 8 years? Six of one, half dozen of another really. Either explanation is pathetic.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Almost 10 years ago now. Haven't made the playoffs since. Think about that. That final game if someone told you, "The Oilers won't make the playoffs again for 10 years".

In that time

I had to check to see if they had invented the wheel yet the last time the Flyers won the cup. As for the Habs, they're Canuck fans on steroids. The riot will not be pretty. Average team with an average fight card so far.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I had to check to see if they had invented the wheel yet the last time the Flyers won the cup. As for the Habs, they're Canuck fans on steroids. The riot will not be pretty. Average team with an average fight card so far.

Yup....People hate to hear it but the fact remains. Last 10 years no Canadian team has come as close to a cup as the Oilers. They either gave it their best like Vancouver or Calgary and came up short or never were invited to the dance like Montreal Toronto.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yup....People hate to hear it but the fact remains. Last 10 years no Canadian team has come as close to a cup as the Oilers. They either gave it their best like Vancouver or Calgary and came up short or never were invited to the dance like Montreal Toronto.

I hate to say it but I think Calgary probably came a little closer, but Edmonton was right behind. That said if Roloson doesn't get hurt I think the Oilers would've won that series in 6 even if you give the Canes Erik Cole back.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
What's more damn, trying to win for 3 years and having the result be the 2009-10 season, or rebuilding for 8 years? Six of one, half dozen of another really. Either explanation is pathetic.

Only one explanation is correct, though.

The Oilers had absolutely zero designs on high draft selections prior to their injury filled November 2009. None whatsoever. They pursued and in some cases acquired some of the highest profile players available in an attempt to build playoff teams, often at the expense of draft picks.

I'm not saying we were deftly managed, because we obviously failed, just that any suggestion that we were in any way rebuilding is either revisionist or ignorant.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Where Hextall is wrong is when he says that the Oilers will be a good team in three or four years.

Not with this collection of "talent" as it is currently assembled.

Exactly.

There are already teams who drafted behind the Oilers, finishing ahead of them. Well ahead...to be precise.

Hextall has nothing to worry about. The "stockpile" of draft picks is fast becoming a tangled mess.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
Only one explanation is correct, though.

The Oilers had absolutely zero designs on high draft selections prior to their injury filled November 2009. None whatsoever. They pursued and in some cases acquired some of the highest profile players available in an attempt to build playoff teams, often at the expense of draft picks.

I'm not saying we were deftly managed, because we obviously failed, just that any suggestion that we were in any way rebuilding is either revisionist or ignorant.

We were in a rebuild starting in 2006-07 simply because that team was awful and wasn't going anywhere. The problem was no one realized how bad things were until late in 07-08 and management didn't figure in out until December 2009. But your point is taken, this is technically only year 5 of the "plan".

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
We were in a rebuild starting in 2006-07 simply because that team was awful and wasn't going anywhere. The problem was no one realized how bad things were until late in 07-08 and management didn't figure in out until December 2009. But your point is taken, this is technically only year 5 of the "plan".

Your problem is that you have no idea what a rebuild is.

Being bad is not "rebuilding" by default.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00