News and Blog Report: Hextall's Comments

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-oilers-organization-for-taking-the-easy-way/

Seems like there are alot of GM's attacking the Oilers method of team building. First Feaster now Hextall. I say NHL should be like soccer and there should be some sort of punishment if your team performs terribly. It is somewhat disgraceful to win this way. That being said, I fully support the Oilers for taking this route as no big name free agents were coming to Edmonton before the Oilers ventured on this path. Now we will have Hall, RNH, Yak, Schultz and as we start winning the big names may start to come through UFA. It was the only way we could get top end talent because as terrible as our management team is, they've tried time and again to get big talents to come with no avail. Philly can sustain itself because they constantly get big UFA signings.

The funny part of hextall's comments was when Stauffer said to Wilkins..."you think he's talking about the Oilers?" hahaha

Thoughts on these comments?

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I think someone already started a thread about comments re: the Oilers from other nhl coaches, players, etc but I personally don't mind this getting a bit of attention.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...-oilers-organization-for-taking-the-easy-way/

Seems like there are alot of GM's attacking the Oilers method of team building. First Feaster now Hextall. I say NHL should be like soccer and there should be some sort of punishment if your team performs terribly. It is somewhat disgraceful to win this way. That being said, I fully support the Oilers for taking this route as no big name free agents were coming to Edmonton before the Oilers ventured on this path. Now we will have Hall, RNH, Yak, Schultz and as we start winning the big names may start to come through UFA. It was the only way we could get top end talent because as terrible as our management team is, they've tried time and again to get big talents to come with no avail. Philly can sustain itself because they constantly get big UFA signings.

The funny part of hextall's comments was when Stauffer said to Wilkins..."you think he's talking about the Oilers?" hahaha

Yeah, you know what they should do. They should have this tournament and only let the top teams play and that team will be crowned league champion.

Oh wait they already do that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hextall wants to continue the success the Flyers have had.

Think about that for a minute.

And they boot an incompetent GM upstairs. A guy who gave away JVR for Luke Schenn, who gave away Bobrovsky for penauts, and signed stupid contracts like Bryzgalov.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton

And they boot an incompetent GM upstairs. A guy who gave away JVR for Luke Schenn, who gave away Bobrovsky for penauts, and signed stupid contracts like Bryzgalov.

Eerily similar to kevin lowe. Holmgren and Lowe both made the finals once, and made abysmal trades before being "promoted"

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

Holmgren also inherited the worst team in the league partway through the 06-07 season and had them in the playoffs 6 of the next 7 seasons including 1 appearance in the finals.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Holmgren also inherited the worst team in the league partway through the 06-07 season and had them in the playoffs 6 of the next 7 seasons including 1 appearance in the finals.

Like I've said many times, making the playoffs in the East isn't very hard. Also keeping in mind that team was in the playoffs in '06.

He still took a team that made the finals and disassembled them, scattering some of the best parts. Jeff Carter is a beast in LA.

Think of how much better the team would be if he hadn't moved some good pieces for ones of lesser value. And he probably thanks his lucky stars he was able to buy out Bryz's contract without any repercussions. Not to mention Briere's.

Rawg

Its Rog
Jun 20, 2010
Edmonton

Partway, you mean 8 games, The team was in the playoffs the year before too

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Two thoughts:

1. I have no issues with what he said. He didn't say anything offensive and even said we would be a great team in 3 years. He was just using the opposite of the flyers who have been drafting well and haven't had the luxury of rebuilding with 1st overall picks.

2. I don't care about just making the playoffs. Sure it's nice but you aren't a winner unless you win it all.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005

Alright...I'm thinking.

Flyer's success=Two Stanley Cups in the team's 47 year NHL history.
Six times they've lost in the cup final.

Trivia: Ron Hextall played on one of those cup final Flyer teams. Ten points if you can name the team who beat Ron Hextall's Flyers in seven games in 1987. Sadly, it was Ron Hextall's only Stanley Cup final appearance.

Two clues:
Clue #1: The same team who dashed Hextall's only legitimate Stanley Cup chance in the seventh game in 1987 also beat Mike Keenan's Philadelphia Flyers in the 1985 cup final in five games.

Clue # 2: The team who did these things name starts with Ed and ends in Oilers.

To the Flyer's continued success under Ron Hextall :cheers:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Did anyone expect less from Hexy?

He doesn't pull a punch...never has.

We can assume with a high probability he was talking about the Oilers, but he wasn't that far off with the truth.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Alright...I'm thinking.

Flyer's success=Two Stanley Cups in the team's 47 year NHL history.
Six times they've lost in the cup final.

Trivia: Ron Hextall played on one of those cup final Flyer teams. Ten points if you can name the team who beat Ron Hextall's Flyers in seven games in 1987. Sadly, it was Ron Hextall's only Stanley Cup final appearance.

Two clues:
Clue #1: The same team who dashed Hextall's only legitimate Stanley Cup chance in the seventh game in 1987 also beat Mike Keenan's Philadelphia Flyers in the 1985 cup final in five games.

Clue # 2: The team who did these things name starts with Ed and ends in Oilers.

To the Flyer's continued success under Ron Hextall :cheers:

:rant::banghead::facepalm::baghead::cry:

I hope this accurately conveys my emotions to your post.

:D

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
i dont care what he has to say. dudes always been a blow hard (hi, lets slash people in the leg like a gold club because we're lunatics) and didnt win. go F yourself, Ron.

the dude has worked in LA and Philly. two areas that have no problems picking up UFA's and trades because theyre huge markets. Philly looked HORRENDOUS this year in the playoffs. almost as bad as the Oilers with their puck management, give aways, and slop play. bravo for getting that roster + Claude Giroux.

and acting like every team in the NHL "plays" the meta-game of team building on an even playing field is ridiculous.

has the management for the Oilers been bad? yes.

do the Oilers have any chance at UFA's or losers that make up trade lists to where they will play because of contracts? slim to NONE.

Hard Life for Ron in LALA land and the city of brotherly scum

he just comes off as a whiner
and we already know how bad the Oilers organization is. he should **** and get his own yard in order first. that team looked like a joke and luckily got to play the next lamest PO team in the East for the first round.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

the comments are bang on--I hope the team is embarrassed by them

Nic

Apr 30, 2004
Rebuilding by tanking and stock piling high draft picks, whether intentional or not, never guarantee's success.

Sometimes it works, often it does not. In the modern NHL there is quite a bit of parity and many examples of teams that have had dramatic turn arounds over a season or two. Philadelphia is actually a great example of that.

The Oilers approach has been a massive failure, and if they do turn the corner I would be rather surprised if it is on the backs of their first overalls. It's fairly obvious that this teams main weakness is not offence (not that it couldn't be improved), but defence and goaltending, neither of which has been adequately addressed at the draft for a very long time.

So much is made of the value of first round draft picks, especially top 5, but who here would rather have traded those picks if we would have picked up a 1-2 d-men?

Fans might have rioted at them time, but give me an Oliver Ekman Larsson, Victor Hedman, Seth Jones etc over pretty much any of our forwards except Hall any day of the week.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He's right that the Oilers are just collecting draft picks at this point, but he's wrong if he think's it's intentional. The managerial incompetence that forced a rebuild is now keeping the franchise in the cellar after it's already decided it doesn't need to tank anymore.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
i dont care what he has to say. dudes always been a blow hard (hi, lets slash people in the leg like a gold club because we're lunatics) and didnt win. go F yourself, Ron.

the dude has worked in LA and Philly. two areas that have no problems picking up UFA's and trades because theyre huge markets. Philly looked HORRENDOUS this year in the playoffs. almost as bad as the Oilers with their puck management, give aways, and slop play. bravo for getting that roster + Claude Giroux.

and acting like every team in the NHL "plays" the meta-game of team building on an even playing field is ridiculous.

has the management for the Oilers been bad? yes.

do the Oilers have any chance at UFA's or losers that make up trade lists to where they will play because of contracts? slim to NONE.

Hard Life for Ron in LALA land and the city of brotherly scum

he just comes off as a whiner
and we already know how bad the Oilers organization is. he should **** and get his own yard in order first. that team looked like a joke and luckily got to play the next lamest PO team in the East for the first round.

This sums it up nicely. They have a god awful team in 07, trade off any expiring assets they can for picks and finish 11pts behind 29th. For us, that would signify the beginning of a rebuild. For them? They land 2 of the biggest UFA's in Hartnell and Timmonen. Our big splashes after our first tank year were Eager and Belanger. Pretty big difference there.

I don't care about the comments. I like it when there's a little animosity between management teams. It lends to hilarious quotes, which six rings is a guarantee for. Never seen a guy with such an appetite for his own foot.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I think his comments were intentional b/c he has an ulterior motive. He's making fun of the Oilers in hopes that they trade the 3rd overall pick to philly for less than they should. Hextall thinks MacT is an idiot if he thinks he will fall for this plan. Guess what Ron, just like in '87, the Oilers will prevail. Go and enjoy your mediocre team for the next 4yrs till u get canned!

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
we all know he was telling the truth as we are painfully aware of the pathetic Oilers management.

I do think he should have taken the high road and not just kicked a bad team when they're down.
he had no need to make the comments.

the oilers want to have teams quit making those comments, they can bloody well win to shut them up.
something they have failed to do for quite a few years now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad