News and Blog Report: Hextall's Comments

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not sure the Oilers know what a rebuild is either.
The Oilers know exactly what a rebuild is. It's making promises that don't have to be fulfilled for several years in order to escape criticism and accountability in the present. They had worked it to perfection up until this past season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Oilers know exactly what a rebuild is. It's making promises that don't have to be fulfilled for several years in order to escape criticism and accountability in the present. They had worked it to perfection up until this past season.

And yet people continue to follow the team.

Which begs the question: Who's the bigger fool? The fool or the one who follows him?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Which begs the question: Who's the bigger fool? The fool or the one who follows him?
Are you including yourself in here? You obviously still follow the team or you wouldn't spend so much of your time on message boards or are you referring to the people who buy the tickets?

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Define rebuilding for me then. I'm curious.

Making advances for the future?

Metaphor, if your house burned down and you wanted to rebuild it. But 6 years later the contractors are all like "Oh no worries, the basement concrete is solid! We understand your frustration, but our foreman Kevin assures us that the past mistakes in Craig pouring the base was the wrong move so we got in Pat, Tom and Ralph to try, that didn't work out well so we hired Craig again to be the foreman over Dallas - he's new to the concrete business but no worries he has Kelly and Steve to be his assistants, they've been there from day one. I'm sure your house will be up in no time!!"

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Exactly.

There are already teams who drafted behind the Oilers, finishing ahead of them. Well ahead...to be precise.

Hextall has nothing to worry about. The "stockpile" of draft picks is fast becoming a tangled mess.

Nah I think Hextall is right there, the Oilers will be decent in a few years.

Hall/Eberle/RNH/Bennett-Draistal/Perron/Yakupov/Nurse/Klefbom/Schultz/Marincin is enough talent that eventually it'll come together. Yakupov might be the one that gets moved out I think.

The downside is a chunk of the Oilers fanbase will probably have gone insane by then, this has not been an easy rebuild to stomach.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Are you including yourself in here? You obviously still follow the team or you wouldn't spend so much of your time on message boards or are you referring to the people who buy the tickets?

I refer to all people who follow the Oilers.

My interest in this team has waned considerably over the past season.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Nah I think Hextall is right there, the Oilers will be decent in a few years.

Hall/Eberle/RNH/Bennett-Draistal/Perron/Yakupov/Nurse/Klefbom/Schultz/Marincin is enough talent that eventually it'll come together. Yakupov might be the one that gets moved out I think.

The downside is a chunk of the Oilers fanbase will probably have gone insane by then, this has not been an easy rebuild to stomach.

in theory, yes. but, if Hall, in frustration, pulls the pin by then, then the whole thing blows up.

If all Mact adds is a 3rd overall and a couple depth signings for the bottom 6 and 3rd pairing, I will officially jump off the bandwagon. I am nolonger a diehard fan. I will probably jump back on the bandwagon when and if (and its a big if) they are a good team. and i am not the least bit ashamed for being a 'bandwagon, fair-weather fan'. this organization can bl-w me. I have zero respect for it. they, the management, suck. I hate KLowe. He is the ruin of this brand. I doubt it will ever recover. (this, of course, is subject to Mact's performance this summer)

I am now, an Oilkings fan first.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
in theory, yes. but, if Hall, in frustration, pulls the pin by then, then the whole thing blows up.

If all Mact adds is a 3rd overall and a couple depth signings for the bottom 6 and 3rd pairing, I will officially jump off the bandwagon. I am nolonger a diehard fan. I will probably jump back on the bandwagon when and if (and its a big if) they are a good team. and i am not the least bit ashamed for being a 'bandwagon, fair-weather fan'. this organization can bl-w me. I have zero respect for it. they, the management, suck. I hate KLowe. He is the ruin of this brand. I doubt it will ever recover. (this, of course, is subject to Mact's performance this summer)

I am now, an Oilkings fan first.

You know Klowe runs them to right?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Making advances for the future?

Metaphor, if your house burned down and you wanted to rebuild it. But 6 years later the contractors are all like "Oh no worries, the basement concrete is solid! We understand your frustration, but our foreman Kevin assures us that the past mistakes in Craig pouring the base was the wrong move so we got in Pat, Tom and Ralph to try, that didn't work out well so we hired Craig again to be the foreman over Dallas - he's new to the concrete business but no worries he has Kelly and Steve to be his assistants, they've been there from day one. I'm sure your house will be up in no time!!"

That metaphors actually pretty bang-on

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
"Our relationship with our fans has been strained and we've got to go and re-earn that trust" says Sharks GM Wilson. I wish the Oilers would say something like that.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
"Our relationship with our fans has been strained and we've got to go and re-earn that trust" says Sharks GM Wilson. I wish the Oilers would say something like that.

:huh: They did..not more than a couple of years ago..And, as GreatKeith said, actions will be more important than any PR statement.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Why should people leave the sports team they love just because a group of utter incompetent, arrogant boobs are running the show? The old if you don't like it don't complain just leave line of thinking is foolish at any level.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Why should people leave the sports team they love just because a group of utter incompetent, arrogant boobs are running the show? The old if you don't like it don't complain just leave line of thinking is foolish at any level.

Foolish? How it it foolish to stop paying attention to something you don't like? It may be disloyal or... Fairweather.. But not foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad