Hextall...What Have His Positives Been To-Date?

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Which two dmen would you have playing against other teams 1st lines?

Isn't that the point? instead of a better pick we are going to roll out Schultz again who went from good to below average by seasons end. We are in the same exact spot. At least he started off season Well. If he plays like he did before Philly then get ready for 2 more bad years

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Answer the question.

oh boy the hard hitting questions from Curufinwe. I would've most certainly traded Grossmann and Schultz. If you are telling me that the only chance the teams have is to roll out Nick Schultz as our #1 defensemen then you must see the problem here. I would roll with any combo of what we have next year whether Hextall signs a guy for 1 year or if he tries a rookie it doesnt matter. Wish we had more assets, thats the main thing. The Flyers have a really really really bad defense. Whether the top pairing is Andy Mac-Streit/MDZ-Schenn or even Gudas thrown in there the defense is bad. I'd rather give a young guy a shot like Morin next season, then to watch Schultz go back to how he was before the Flyers. I really do not have faith he will be near his level which again, went from good to below average. Anyway, I wish we wouldve went for potential trade options, 1 year FA, or even give Morin a shot in the top 6, which are now out the window.

Who knows, maybe Schenn and Grossmann get moved and Hextall has a plan for a quality defender. But I have a feeling we will be looking at the same D this season except instead of Coca Cola its Manning in the 7 spot.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Signing Schultz was the precursor to Hextall trading Coburn for three significant assets. He wasn't going to go into next season without at least one guy he could count on to play the hard minutes on D. When Morin makes the Flyers it's likely he would be paired with a steady vet like Schultz who can play the right side.

And I'd love to hear how you would have traded a Concussed Grossmann and his $3.5m contract with a year still left on it at the deadline.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Hextall did sell at the deadline. He traded our two biggest names on D and what were thought to be our two best D as well. Coburn definitely was. Traded both of them for fantastic returns. That's the definition of selling.

Schultz is the closest thing we have to a stable two-way presence back there after Streit. Trading Coburn necessitated having a guy like Schultz. Grossmann has a contract that isn't desirable for teams that would be buying and IIRC he was injured at the deadline. You have to have somebody to trade with in order to actually trade. He also has this entire off-season to make moves, which he'll presumably have to due to the logjam of mediocre D we have and the fact that within the next couple years spots will have to be cleared for our prospects.

Edit: There's also the fact that we're not contending any time soon and Schultz is a low risk, short-term contract. It's not going to actually change much with this team's chances at anything positive and it's not going to be an issue in regards to the prospects. There was also no better alternative.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That article was trash.

Writer is trying to make it seem like there's some issue where there isn't one. As if they're saying completely different things.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
I think Streit will be traded if they sign MDZ, because at his age, and the fact that he faded down the stretch, you want to limit his minute to save him for the PP. Now if the Flyers were contenders, he'd be a nice luxury, but given his age and salary, take the draft picks.

Hextall knows he has to work 3-4 young defensemen into 7 slots the next 2-3 years (If Sanheim adds 10-15 lbs he'll never see the AHL, Morin and Ghost at worst will be pushing for starting jobs in 2016-17, Hagg, Alt and Manning will be pushing for jobs on the 3rd pair and as the 7th D-man).

He also needs some cap relief, to resign some young players and to afford to buy out one or two guys in a year, and to throw in money in a trade or two. If I'm Hextall, my goal is cap flexibility by 2017-18 to add any missing pieces to make a cup run.

I think Streit is not the one to trade, especially when he's been the one mentoring Morin. Grossmann, Schenn and MacD will be the ones on the block. Alt hasn't impressed, plus has been riddled with injuries. I definitely think Sanheim sees time in AHL, especially getting his body acclimated to a long season. The last statement is why he traded Hartnell for umberger. He'll be fine with cap space come 2018.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Signing Schultz was the precursor to Hextall trading Coburn for three significant assets. He wasn't going to go into next season without at least one guy he could count on to play the hard minutes on D. When Morin makes the Flyers it's likely he would be paired with a steady vet like Schultz who can play the right side.

And I'd love to hear how you would have traded a Concussed Grossmann and his $3.5m contract with a year still left on it at the deadline.

Bang on for both points. As well, it's not as if Schultz played bad for the Flyers. There were some bad games, but overall, the body of work in general was good.

As for Grossmann, nobody was touching that contract. The only way Grossmann might get moved going forward is if a team needs to reach the salary floor. But yeah, nobody was touching him at the deadline.

I'd like to throw one thing out there about Hextall that have been real positives with regards to his performance so far. He's been incredibly patient and doesn't make panic moves. Everything is calculated in terms of his approach. As well, every contract he's handed out so far, it's been a breath of fresh air in that Hextall hasn't overspent in terms of dollars and years. He's very cunning in his approach and I think watching Clarke and Holmgren operate, Hextall has been the polar opposite and I think Hextall is starting to have an effect on the organization (especially now when you consider that even Snider is beginning to wonder whether they've overvalued players). It's been quite a different approach under Ron.

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015
Streit won't be traded. There is no reason to move him, he's still perfectly effective at what he's here for.

You should check his pre and post All Star game splits.

If someone offered me a late first round pick or a second round pick for him, at 38, I would be inclined to listen. It does not mean you say yes and pull the trigger but if someone loves him enough you have to consider your options.

At this point you should be gauging the relative value of some guys on your roster. You don't have to pull the trigger but Streit is not a core piece that will be here in 3-5 years time.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's not 38 till December, and just finished the season with the most minutes and points on the Flyers D. He's also an assistant captain. There's just no way Hextall is going to trade him at the draft. Especially for a late 2nd.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

If someone offered me a late first round pick or a second round pick for him, at 38, I would be inclined to listen. It does not mean you say yes and pull the trigger but if someone loves him enough you have to consider your options.

At this point you should be gauging the relative value of some guys on your roster. You don't have to pull the trigger but Streit is not a core piece that will be here in 3-5 years time.

I do not think he is on a trade block after admitted void in leadership in the room. Hextal is not going to loose another leader

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I don't care about his split before and after the ASG, the point is he put up points and helped the team win, even if he did more in the first half. Everyone on the team slowed down after the ASG, even Giroux and Voracek.

Apart from the points, Streits also a leader on the team and he's going to be the perfect player to mentor a player like Ghost when he gets to the NHL. We can't just trade all our older players, especially since he's not playing like his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad