Hextall...What Have His Positives Been To-Date?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
They aren't overpaid for what they bring they are right in line with the league avg. Look at the names around Del Zotto in scoring for defensemen this year, then look at Games Played, then look at all their contracts and get back to me.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Del Zotto shouldn't get much. Maybe a two year deal for 2.5-3.0 per year. The dude was playing himself out of the league before the Flyers got him and who knows if you pay him a lot now if he will keep up his solid play from this season.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Luca Sbisa of all people was in a similar situation and just got 3.6 from Vancouver. Del Zotto will make more, unless like I said, its another 1 year deal, but if he does the same thing next year as he did this one on another 1 year deal hes going to warrant an even larger raise then what I'm talking about.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They aren't overpaid for what they bring they are right in line with the league avg. Look at the names around Del Zotto in scoring for defensemen this year, then look at Games Played, then look at all their contracts and get back to me.

Were any of them nearly out of the league last year?

Luca Sbisa of all people was in a similar situation and just got 3.6 from Vancouver. Del Zotto will make more, unless like I said, its another 1 year deal, but if he does the same thing next year as he did this one on another 1 year deal hes going to warrant an even larger raise then what I'm talking about.

Which was laughably a terrible contract, one GM's stupidity doesn't equal another one's.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Its funny all the people claiming MDZ shouldn't get much. MDZ was a top 10 scoring dman at even strength this year.

MDZ is going to get paid either by us or someone else.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
K. I'm done arguing about something that neither of us will know the result of until the contract finally comes out. I would take him at that price, I don't think its egregious. I think its in line with what his production on his 1 year prove it deal says he is worth.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Its funny all the people claiming MDZ shouldn't get much. MDZ was a top 10 scoring dman at even strength this year.

MDZ is going to get paid either by us or someone else.

If that is the case then by all means trade him for valuable assets. I think MDZ would be a great asset to keep but he isn't worth paying a ton to keep.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He can get paid by someone else then. We don't need to be dumping money into 1 dimensional guys when we have cost controlled prospects. If he wants something reasonable then I'm down with keeping him. If he wants a dump truck full of gold that's not gonna work.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
MDZ is not going to get "paid". He'll get his QO and, if he rejects it, other teams aren't going to throw money at him if the compensation is too high.

I trust that Hextall won't give him a Holmgren-like offer; if another team happens to do it, however unlikely, take the compensation and run.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
If he keeps Berube, Hextall loses a ton of credibility in my eyes. Anything that Berube does after that point, Hextall also owns.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
A 1 dimensional dman that is on our first unit pk, that led our team in ice time and that is our best skater on the blue line.

If you have trouble with MDZ being a 1 dimensional dman then many here are going to have trouble with a 1 dimensional dman prospect we have.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A 1 dimensional dman that is on our first unit pk, that led our team in ice time and that is our best skater on the blue line.

So he's the tallest midget then? On a good team he doesn't even get PK time nor the overall minutes he recieved.

He still leaves a lot to be desired in his own end so yes he is one dimensional.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So he's the tallest midget then? On a good team he doesn't even get PK time nor the overall minutes he recieved.

He still leaves a lot to be desired in his own end so yes he is one dimensional.

I wonder how people will react to Ghost once he gets some consistent time.

Just imagine what an upgrade on defense will do to MDZ's game. He is no shea weber on his own end, but he is as good or better than erik karlsson is back there. And His even strength pp/60 is right there with Karlsson.

But lets get rid of him because guys like that are picked off the scrap heap all the time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But lets get rid of him because guys like that are picked off the scrap heap all the time.

I never said we should just flat out get rid of him. He earned a spot on the roster for next year if the contract is right however if not than I would look to move him as he isn't a guy I want to invest a whole lot in.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I wonder how people will react to Ghost once he gets some consistent time.

Just imagine what an upgrade on defense will do to MDZ's game. He is no shea weber on his own end, but he is as good or better than erik karlsson is back there. And His even strength pp/60 is right there with Karlsson.

Who is saying ditch him ? Most are saying qualify him and make sure we don't **** up another D contract. God forbid we change are awesome ways of overpaying D men ?

There is zero reason for us to overpay MDZ or even take the chance.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Did i say overpay? No I said pay him. Get rid of streit if you have to, but this is our chance as an organization to redeem ourselves of that horrible JVR trade. If we just let him loose we will have missed out on a great opportunity to become a better younger faster hockey team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Non-ELC contracts signed by Hextall so far. All one year deals unless noted:

BSchenn: $2.5m (two years) - bargain, even with his struggles
Timonen: $2m (with $1.5m in bonuses) - paid off as trade bait
Schultz: $1.25m then $2.25m (two years) - bargain, given the current price of 2nd/3rd pair D-men
Del Zotto: $1.3m - good gamble
Emery: $1m - one year patch, not much of a patch
Rinaldo: $850K (two years) - 2nd year looks like a mistake, but not a big commitment to a guy who did improve his discipline, but never developed even a modicum of offensive skills
Bellemare: $600k then $712,500 (two years) - steal, guys like this have gotten $1M+ for less
Colaiacovo: $625K - a body
Manning: $625K - a body with more upside
Akeson: $575K - a body, reflection of the lack of forward depth
VandeVelde: $575K - a steal given his production
White: $575K - once healthy, a good acquisition

Am I missing any? The lack of sap space he's had to work with are illustrated by $2.5m being the highest cap hit.

I think cap space is only part of it, most of these decisions were good value decisions that built depth for a bad team without hamstringing the cap. Basic rule in FA is pay for quality, otherwise shop for value. The mistake Holmgren and most GMs make is overpaying second tier guys (Vinnie, McDonald, et al) who aren't differencemakers, better to buy/retain one differencemaker and patch with good values than accumulate lots of overpriced second tier guys.

Hextall seems to be the first 21st century guy in the Flyer's FO. The key to success is the patient accumulation of talent, not making a splash. And always keep one eye on the salary cap.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
If he keeps Berube, Hextall loses a ton of credibility in my eyes. Anything that Berube does after that point, Hextall also owns.

Well said! Checking to see whether Berube has finally been fired is why I check out this site. I am very disappointed each time I check in and see that he has not been sacked. Listening to some of the interviews regarding Berube's future also upset me. Berube seems to think that he'll be back next season!
C'mon Hexy! Send Berube to the unemployment line!
Imagine this, if Berube were to be fired, do you think any other team in the NHL would hire him as their head coach?
This franchise is becoming the laughing stock of the NHL when it comes to coaches. Look at their former two coaches and what place their teams finished this season. Yet the Flyers are stuck with a former goon player who was on par with Zach Rinaldo when it came to his playing talent.
Former players do not usually make great coaches, but former goon players should never be considered to be head coaches.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
I don't think Hextall is at the point where he has to make big decisions that could backfire. It's easier to play it safe when you have a team that isn't good enough and have a bunch of untradeable pieces (Streit, Lecavalier, Grossmann,) that are keeping him from handing out big contracts.

In other words, he really hasn't been tested yet. If they get to the 2nd round of the playoffs next year after Brayden Schenn puts up a 25-35-60 year, and someone offer sheets him at 6/30, then we'll see what Hextall's vision is.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
it's possible Hextall will wait for some playoff teams to be eliminated, giving him more options should any of those coaches be let go.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I like MDZ but I am not interested in giving him a long term deal. offer him 2 years-2.5-3 million per. if he says no wish him luck and have him go look elsewhere and take the compensation.
dealing Streit would be dumb as ****. Yeah the guy has his limitations but he scored 52 points on a team that was 23rd in the league in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad