Hextall going for LW after the draft?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sanheim will move right before Provy. He did it frequently for Canada and Calgary and may end up doing it for the Phantoms.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i'd love if we were to grab Lucic. just imagine him on a line with G and Simmer. sadly, Lucic wants waaaay too much $$$. he'll get at least 6m from someone. same goes for Ladd and Eriksson, they'd be great but might be too rich for us.

I don't see too many UFA's that would make sense. Hudler might be interesting. he's 32, but would be the perfect stop gap type of player if he'd be willing to sign for only 2 or 3 years max.

other than that, I think Hexy would have to go the trade route to acquire a middle six LW. if Yak can play LW then i'd be for taking a chance on him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Isn't there a recent quote from Hexy saying July 1 is a tough day, and you get the bargains on July 5 and July 10?

Brigid1011*

that is a really big improvement...would be great if Konecny would replace Read.

Dependent on what it takes to acquire Yak I could get behind this.
Maybe Yak can benefit from some of Jakes setups.....agree Jake should be 2nd line RW.
I also feel Yak like a few other Oilers could definitely benefit from from a change of scenery. The more I read about the Oilers the more I think a huge part of the reason they haven't really improved in all these years has a lot to do with attitudes of certain players. Whether Yak is one of these players I can't really say but I can say he's not mentioned by name unlike few of his teammates. Worth a shot?? Sure like I said dependent on cost. Playing with Jake and Coots could definitely ressurect his career. Jake sets him up and Coots covers his defensive liabilities. Tell his ass to shoot the puck which I think we all agree he can do pretty well

PensBrony 6 9*

How about instead of all the dinosaurs people in this thread are trotting out, they just go get hoffman from ottawa next week? He's an unsigned rfa and there could be a trade made soon. The guy has a superstar's skillset. he can skate and is one of the best pure shooters in the league. if he wasn't playing 3rd line minutes in ottawa and playing with bums like turris when he was lucky enough to get ice time, he'd have scored 40+ easily last year. the guy is a perfect fit for this team and even if they had to overpay a little, he'd be well worth it. ottawa just doesn't value him for whatever reason (maybe because he doesn't play much defense). these types of guys rarely, rarely become available. i understand that a lot of people don't know much about him because he doesn't have a flashy name and doesn't get a lot of media coverage, but he's the real deal. this team would finally have an elite, consistent finisher, which is exactly what they need.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
How about instead of all the dinosaurs people in this thread are trotting out, they just go get hoffman from ottawa next week? He's an unsigned rfa and there could be a trade made soon. The guy has a superstar's skillset. he can skate and is one of the best pure shooters in the league. if he wasn't playing 3rd line minutes in ottawa and playing with bums like turris when he was lucky enough to get ice time, he'd have scored 40+ easily last year. the guy is a perfect fit for this team and even if they had to overpay a little, he'd be well worth it. ottawa just doesn't value him for whatever reason (maybe because he doesn't play much defense). these types of guys rarely, rarely become available. i understand that a lot of people don't know much about him because he doesn't have a flashy name and doesn't get a lot of media coverage, but he's the real deal. this team would finally have an elite, consistent finisher, which is exactly what they need.

I'd absolutely LOVE Hoffman but I don't see it happening. He's going to cost a pretty penny, both in terms of trade value and contract. I'd guess he'll sign at a similar term to Schenn, but that also bypasses what we'd have to give up to get him.

PensBrony 6 9*

I'd absolutely LOVE Hoffman but I don't see it happening. He's going to cost a pretty penny, both in terms of trade value and contract. I'd guess he'll sign at a similar term to Schenn, but that also bypasses what we'd have to give up to get him.

If they can move some salary (streit or macdonald), they could probably afford it. I would be willing to trade prospects for him depending on the deal. I mean when you think about it, you're almost definitely going to get the best player involved. no one the flyers have drafted lately looks likely to put up 40 goals ever. Not saying they won't but they just don't appear to be those types of players at this point. If you can keep the top tier d men (gostisbehere, sanheim, and provorov) then I'd do it. He's only 26, so it's not like you're completely mortgaging the future by trading for him.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I don't think he "has" to do anything, to be honest. Conventional wisdom would suggest that since we made the playoffs this season, there would be pressure to make it next season, but I think we are blessed to have a fanbase which by and large understands and appreciates the long-term vision that Hexy has for the team. If we have to spin our wheels for one more season as we wait on our prospects, in the interests of protecting ourselves from cap-based problems moving forward, I think most people will be along for the ride. (That does not include the community of brain-dead mungbeasts which makes Twitter such a toxic cesspool.) I hope so, anyway.
Unfortunately, "mungbeasts" on Twitter more closely represents the fanbase than these message boards. The vast majority knows jack **** about any long-term vision, and will scream if the team isn't winning right now. Whether or not Hextall cares what they think is a different story.
i'd love if we were to grab Lucic. just imagine him on a line with G and Simmer. sadly, Lucic wants waaaay too much $$$. he'll get at least 6m from someone. same goes for Ladd and Eriksson, they'd be great but might be too rich for us.

I don't see too many UFA's that would make sense. Hudler might be interesting. he's 32, but would be the perfect stop gap type of player if he'd be willing to sign for only 2 or 3 years max.

other than that, I think Hexy would have to go the trade route to acquire a middle six LW. if Yak can play LW then i'd be for taking a chance on him.
Lucic doesn't make sense, because Simmonds is already our net-front presence on the top PP unit. He'll be much more valuable to another team.

I also think Hextall stays far away from Vanek. He's passive, stationary, one-dimensional, slow, and soft... i.e. the antithesis of a "Dave Hakstol" player.

Last edited:

Brigid1011*

Schenn/Giroux/Simmer (if resigned)
Laberge/Coots/Jake
Lindblom/Rubstov/Allison
Laughton/Cousins/NAK

Provorov/Ghost
Sanheim/Gudas
Morin/Meyers

If we stay the course and our guys hit this could be our team in say 4 years. Not to mention the goalie depth. I'd be inclined not to do anything drastic In The mean time. Stop gaps are fine but no term and no high dollar deals. This lineup excites me more than our current even if we added a high priced Free agent.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
That line up looks good, hopefully giroux still can get 70 pts/season. This is the only position that worries me, i fear that injuries and age will hit giroux soon and in 4 yrs he will be a shell. Hopefully he is a datsyuk type where they suffer very little drop off even in their mid 30s.

Or Rubtsov can become giroux part 2 and exceed his perceived ceiling of 50-60 pts a year. Other than that, that defense has a chance to be special and a deep forward core.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That line up looks good, hopefully giroux still can get 70 pts/season. This is the only position that worries me, i fear that injuries and age will hit giroux soon and in 4 yrs he will be a shell. Hopefully he is a datsyuk type where they suffer very little drop off even in their mid 30s.

Or Rubtsov can become giroux part 2 and exceed his perceived ceiling of 50-60 pts a year. Other than that, that defense has a chance to be special and a deep forward core.

Injuries? Giroux has been one of the more durable 1st line centers in the league.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
So far hes been durable, but when you hit 30, i just worry he will start breaking down. All players are different, bit i would feel a lot better if we have an heir apparent for his position. No number 1 C, no stanley cup. Things can change in a hurry, and i have confidence in hexy to address it if needed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schenn/Giroux/Simmer (if resigned)
Laberge/Coots/Jake
Lindblom/Rubstov/Allison
Laughton/Cousins/NAK

Provorov/Ghost
Sanheim/Gudas
Morin/Meyers

If we stay the course and our guys hit this could be our team in say 4 years. Not to mention the goalie depth. I'd be inclined not to do anything drastic In The mean time. Stop gaps are fine but no term and no high dollar deals. This lineup excites me more than our current even if we added a high priced Free agent.

Pretty far fetched to conclude that everyone on the team in 4 years is already in the organization today.

You're also missing Konecny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad