Hextall going for LW after the draft?

Brigid1011*

Yeah, me too. Even with Brodziak assuming a decent chuck of DZ starts, Giroux and Couturier are going to have to pick up a lot of slack for the third line. Brodziak also isn't a particularly good possession player when given hard defensive assignments. The faceoff ability is okay but CF% is bad. He'd be an improvement at 4C, but he won't make a huge difference with Cousins still at 3C

Hasn't Bellemare played center?

Would this work. Totally agree 3rd line scares me. Hopefully we can add at least one guy in free agency
If he's a bottom sixer plug him in where he best fits if it's a top sixer drop Raffll down.

Laughton/Bellemare/Read
Leier/Cousins/VDV

Or

Laughton/Raffl/Bellemare
Leier/Cousins/Read
VDV 13th

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, me too. Even with Brodziak assuming a decent chuck of DZ starts, Giroux and Couturier are going to have to pick up a lot of slack for the third line. Brodziak also isn't a particularly good possession player when given hard defensive assignments. The faceoff ability is okay but CF% is bad. He'd be an improvement at 4C, but he won't make a huge difference with Cousins still at 3C

Tbf to Brodziak his CF% is about as good as you can hope for for a player in a role like he generally has.

Getting ~30-35% zone starts vs 2nd liners means if you can keep your CF% above 45% it is pretty good going. He is also a big body, good skater for his size and a good PKer. Also he has more offensive ability than anyone we have had on our 4th line in a while

Assuming he played to a similar level as he has over the last few years he would basically be putting up the same CF% as our 4th line has while getting 15% less Ozone starts and vs tougher competition, while also being better than any of them at PKing and providing more natural offense.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
For example in march I pulled this data on 4th line centres:

OZ start %:

Gaustad: 7.64%
Kruger: 17.24%
Stoll: 20.40%
Moore: 21.48%
Glendaning: 32.14%
Fehr: 33.76%
Brodziak: 34.92%
Cizikas: 40.87%
Horcoff: 42.37%
Kemppainen: 44.22%
Tierney: 45.19%
Fiddler: 45.77%
Boyle: 46.19%
McKenzie: 47.48%
Richards: 47.98%
Bellemare: 50.00%
Lecavalier: 55.51%

Corsi %:

Horcoff: 51.24% Corsi
Boyle: 50.65% Corsi
Lecavalier: 50.40% Corsi
Fiddler: 50.34% Corsi
Brodziak: 50.06% Corsi
Fehr: 49.72% Corsi
Richards: 49.89% Corsi
Cizikas: 48.85% Corsi
Kruger: 48.37% Corsi
Tierney: 47.45% Corsi
Bellemare: 46.17% Corsi
Glendaning: 45.46% Corsi
McKenzie: 44.99% Corsi
Kemppainen: 42.25% Corsi
Moore: 42.04% Corsi
Gaustad: 39.06% Corsi
Stoll: 35.96% Corsi

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Tbf to Brodziak his CF% is about as good as you can hope for for a player in a role like he generally has.

Getting ~30-35% zone starts vs 2nd liners means if you can keep your CF% above 45% it is pretty good going. He is also a big body, good skater for his size and a good PKer. Also he has more offensive ability than anyone we have had on our 4th line in a while

Assuming he played to a similar level as he has over the last few years he would basically be putting up the same CF% as our 4th line has while getting 15% less Ozone starts and vs tougher competition, while also being better than any of them at PKing and providing more natural offense.

Good points. Thanks for this and your proceeding post.

I still wouldn't be happy with Cousins as 3C unless he shows he can handle more balanced usage. I'd like to see Giroux and Couturier get way more starts in the OZ.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Yakupov.

I feel like i'm taking Prongo's spot right now.

I like this idea. Him and Brodziak could help the forward depth a lot.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Yakupov-Couturier-Voracek
Laughton-Raffl-Read
Bellemare-Brodziak-White

That's a big improvement from last season. Would be great if Konecny makes the team as well.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Good points. Thanks for this and your proceeding post.

I still wouldn't be happy with Cousins as 3C unless he shows he can handle more balanced usage. I'd like to see Giroux and Couturier get way more starts in the OZ.

Yeh, in an ideal world where Hextall thinks the Flyers can go and get a cup v.soon I think we go out and get:

#3C: Nielsen/Backes (~$4.5m)
#4C: Brodziak/Gordon/Fiddler (~$1m-1.5m)

through UFA on deals not more than say 2 years each... or trade for guys like Eakin & Kruger who can be more long term options.

but Nielsen & Backes are likely going to cost more like $5m+ and will want say ~3-4 year deals.

But that would mean we were right up against the cap and our flexibility to re-sign Ghost, Laughton, Stolarz, Leier & Mason (plus maybe MDZ) for 2017-18 would be compromised heavily... even with Streit & Schultz coming off the books.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
I'm happy that Hextall does not have an itchy trigger finger, or that there isn't the endless line of leaked trade/signing rumours. Makes it all that much more sweet when he pulls off a good deal.

Is there any point in grabbing a decent ufa just to dangle for the expansion draft? I would rather not lose one of our homegrown assets.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I like this idea. Him and Brodziak could help the forward depth a lot.

Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Yakupov-Couturier-Voracek
Laughton-Raffl-Read
Bellemare-Brodziak-White

That's a big improvement from last season. Would be great if Konecny makes the team as well.

that is a really big improvement...would be great if Konecny would replace Read.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would still try and see if Bozak could be had for 2nd +Read

Both he and Read have 2 year deals, so the cap increase is by 600,000. And because it's 2 years, it bridges the gap to where Rubstov could be ready by then.

And if we got lucky with Konecny making the team:

Laughton Bozak Konecny is a 3rd line that can provide additional offense to help our top 6.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeh, in an ideal world where Hextall thinks the Flyers can go and get a cup v.soon I think we go out and get:

#3C: Nielsen/Backes (~$4.5m)
#4C: Brodziak/Gordon/Fiddler (~$1m-1.5m)

through UFA on deals not more than say 2 years each... or trade for guys like Eakin & Kruger who can be more long term options.

but Nielsen & Backes are likely going to cost more like $5m+ and will want say ~3-4 year deals.

But that would mean we were right up against the cap and our flexibility to re-sign Ghost, Laughton, Stolarz, Leier & Mason (plus maybe MDZ) for 2017-18 would be compromised heavily... even with Streit & Schultz coming off the books.

I'm happy to see that you seem to have the same feelings about Kruger that I do - I think he can be WAY more effective than his stats would suggest, and I am not bothered by that contract, either in term or length. One of the collateral benefits of adding him - I think - would be to relieve Couts of at least some of his defensive wear and tear, which could (maybe should), 1) help him stay healthy, and 2) help his offensive production. I'd really like to see us pull the trigger on this one.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
If Hexy isn't looking to make a big splash on July 1st (I'd love to grab Lucic) Does Hextall offer Vanek a 1 yr deal at 1.5? Would EDM do Read for Yak? Either way Hexy is gonna have to pick up some quality guys on July 1st unless Konecny is a lock to make the team.

Raffl - G - Voracek
Vanek - Couts - Simmer
Schenn - Laughton - Yakupov
Bellemare - White - Cousins
VV

??????

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think looking at the team going forward the most I would do in FA is spend ~$3.5-$4m tops on 2 year deals ideally, pushing to 3 if the right player... the breakdown would probably be either:

~$3.5m-4m on a good middle sixer/top end 3rd liner.

or

~$2m on a decent bottom sixer & ~$1.5m on a good 4th liner.

Which corresponds to, looking at upcoming UFA's, probably:

Helm/Brouwer/Stempniak/McGinn

or

Grabner/Chimera/Martin & Brodziak/Gordon/Fiddler

Mostly stop-gaps really to help team compete over next ~2 years and ease in younger players. But either way the team would be better without impacting the cap much or causing problems.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If Hexy isn't looking to make a big splash on July 1st (I'd love to grab Lucic) Does Hextall offer Vanek a 1 yr deal at 1.5? Would EDM do Read for Yak? Either way Hexy is gonna have to pick up some quality guys on July 1st unless Konecny is a lock to make the team.

Raffl - G - Voracek
Vanek - Couts - Simmer
Schenn - Laughton - Yakupov
Bellemare - White - Cousins
VV

??????

I don't think he "has" to do anything, to be honest. Conventional wisdom would suggest that since we made the playoffs this season, there would be pressure to make it next season, but I think we are blessed to have a fanbase which by and large understands and appreciates the long-term vision that Hexy has for the team. If we have to spin our wheels for one more season as we wait on our prospects, in the interests of protecting ourselves from cap-based problems moving forward, I think most people will be along for the ride. (That does not include the community of brain-dead mungbeasts which makes Twitter such a toxic cesspool.) I hope so, anyway.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's about right, and I can see a combination of UDFA and trade to add depth to the bottom six and fix the imbalance on defense. I'd be shocked if Hextall does anything major, because by 2017-18:

Schenn - Giroux - Simmons
Konecny - Couts - Voracek
Laughton - Raffl - AK
Lindblom - Fazleev - Leier
Ghoul, Cousins

So one or two bottom six guys would flesh this out nicely without having to break the bank.

MDZ - Gudas
Morin - Ghost (this makes obvious sense, protection)
Sanheim - Provorov (I suspect he's the best bet to move to the right side)

Now if you can package MDZ to get a RHD that would be optimal, but this ain't a bad group!

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
I don't think he "has" to do anything, to be honest. Conventional wisdom would suggest that since we made the playoffs this season, there would be pressure to make it next season, but I think we are blessed to have a fanbase which by and large understands and appreciates the long-term vision that Hexy has for the team. If we have to spin our wheels for one more season as we wait on our prospects, in the interests of protecting ourselves from cap-based problems moving forward, I think most people will be along for the ride. (That does not include the community of brain-dead mungbeasts which makes Twitter such a toxic cesspool.) I hope so, anyway.

That's totally true. And thanks for the breakdown Appleyard. I also totally forgot about Grabner being a UFA. That's a guy with speed to burn and can add to the PK. With the contracts we have now (RFA's included) and saying Konecny makes the team out of camp and we let Weal walk... we have 13 forwards. The next call ups wil be guys like Leier, C,.MacDonald, Bardeau, Goulbourn.

On the bright side... only 2 more years of Read's cap hit. I like him, but would like him more if he resigned for 1M per and play on our 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad