Hextall & Diamonds in the Rough

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Agree with everything. We are in a good position now and the future looks bright based on some good late findings. The only draft pick outside of the goalies (not a fan of picking goalies but understand they are a need for every team) is Carson Twaryskni.

To play devils advocate, Hexy biggest area for improvement is his FA and UFA re-signings. He hasn't handcuffed the team by any mean, but none of his FA signing have made a impact.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Girardi contract isn't a killer in that it's only two years at $3M. It's a bad contract nonetheless but it's not like a death sentence.

It was just unnecessary though. You have Hedman, Stralman, Coburn, Sustr, Dotchin, Koekkoek, & Sergachev without him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The Girardi contract isn't a killer in that it's only two years at $3M. It's a bad contract nonetheless but it's not like a death sentence.

It was just unnecessary though. You have Hedman, Stralman, Coburn, Sustr, Dotchin, Koekkoek, & Sergachev without him.

3 of those players might need extra time. Girardi was a good depth singing to bring those players along imo, and they didn't break the bank

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
3 of those players might need extra time. Girardi was a good depth singing to bring those players along imo, and they didn't break the bank

Dotchin & Koekkoek aren't waivers eligible. Tampa made that deal with LV with those two in mind as well. I doubt Sergachev gets sent down to juniors either but even if so you have 6 defensemen right there where you could have found a cheaper #7.

As for Girardi he actually makes MacDonald look not that bad he's that awful these days. Yzerman basically paid for that inflated veteran experience that provides no tangible value on ice.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Two years ago Sharks 3rd pairing with Polak, who is still better player than Girardi got absolutely destroyed in the finals. Girardi isn't going to cost Tampa playoffs, but he might very well cost them a whole lot come post season. In my mind it's as if Tampa just gave 6 million to Lukas Krajicek and I couldn't be happier since they are good enough as it is.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah...Hextall had to pave over Holmgren's corpse to do it...

I'm also surprised Homer is having eye surgery...he certainly didn't use his eyes much to see beyond the immediate season.

Our farm system was a laughing stock when Hexy took over...I remember a story where Hexy and Holmgren were watching a Phantoms game and he asked Homer..."How many players on the current roster are home grown draft prospects." When Homer said the number which I think he had to guess....Hextall if I remember correctly said that it had to change. Yeah ...pretty obvious! :shakehead

Paul Holmgren: Flyers have paved way toward being relevant

“Obviously, our plan is to make the playoffs this year and see what happens,†Holmgren said Wednesday in his Wells Fargo Center office. “I think what Ron is doing, and has been doing, is put our team in a position where we can make multiple playoff runs with the hopes of winning Stanley Cups along the way. That was his goal when he took over three-plus years ago. I think if you look at our team now and where we are from this moment out, that’s kind of where we’re at.â€

Holmgren, who recently had cornea surgery to try to improve the almost-lost sight in his right eye, said the Flyers are a “team that’s setting ourselves up for multiple playoff runs with the idea of winning a Stanley Cup or two along the way. … I think we’re a team that’s poised to take some steps forward over the next number of years. Could it be this year? Yeah, why not?â€

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...en-ron-hextall-deep-farm-system-20170817.html

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
He has also avoided drafting "somebody's kid/nephew", which had become a Piladelphia tradition, between the Phils and Flyers.

You might fairly say that as much as he has been good at drafting, a fair amount of the change has been to stop being bad at it (i.e., wasting picks through dumb choices or useless trades).

Vandevelde was his son's roommate at North Dakota and Hakstol was his son's college coach.
Hextall has really changed the way Flyers think about the draft which was overdue. The lottery bump this year could really accelerate the rebuild if Patrick becomes a star. Drafting all those D finally got the Flyers to producing their own blue line. But the forward depth in the system really took a jump with Patrick. Should be a fun season.....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00