Hextall & Diamonds in the Rough

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Hextall in his short tenure has done a great job turning junk into potential gold.

On D, he managed to get Tampa to include Gudas with their first round pick. His staff also managed to find Myers and get him signed. Thus, we managed to get two good defenseman for basically nothing.

On F, in the Lecavalier trade, he managed to get Weal who the organization thinks is a top 6 forward. He also drafted Lindblom with a late round pick in his first draft as GM. Once again, using assets that were almost worthless, he managed to add what seems to be two top 6 players.

On the goalies front, he used second and third round picks that Holmgren would trade like they were worthless to add potential #1 goalies. He used a second to select Hart who inexplicably fell. He used a third to grab Sandstrom.

He has also has done a great job using his non first round picks and adding late round picks. He used a second to trade up and grab Konency. He used a fourth to grap Voroboyev who looks like he could be a quality third line center. He managed to get a third for Rinaldo and has managed to add alot of late round picks during his tenure.

If Hextall had only drafted well in the first round the team would not be in a great position today. The reason our future is looking bright are these small things: getting Tampa to include Gudas, trading Coburn for the first, drafting Lindblom with a late round pick, adding alot of later round draft picks, drafting well in the later rounds, drafting goalies in the second or third rounds, etc...

Bottom line is he has done a ridiculously good job turning crap into gold on the D, F and goalie front.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laczynski ending up 12th in this year's prospect polls is a meteoric rise for a 2016 6th rounder.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall made a point of stressing the need to hit on later round picks, but I'm not sure exactly what personnel changes he made in the scouting organization. Is he responsible for our man in Sweden? Who has he hired/fired the last three years?

The one consistent factor with Hextall is that he values middle and later round picks higher than most GMs, and is able to get teams to throw them into trades - the Schenn deal is a perfect example, if he can't get the 1st rd pick next year due to protection, he gets a future 3rd. He got a 3rd for McGinn and Rinaldo (willing to wait to get a better pick), got a 4th thrown in with the Hartnell salary dump, 4th and 7th plus Filpulla for Streit, etc. Getting extra picks is a consistent theme in both big and small trades.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Note: the Sandstrom pick was SJ's pick. Hextall got that 3rd for Tye McGinn.

Turning NHL/AHL tweeners into picks, then drafting potential core players is great asset mgt.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It could just be a change in philosophy, draft high skill guys instead of high floor guys.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
One thing I'm really starting to appreciate is the accumulation of picks to the point where we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds every year it seems.

Just wish we would maybe change our approach in the 3rd round a little bit.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I was really surprised by the kid he drafted out of Agrabah in the 7th.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hextall is a man with a plan and I am thankful for his measured and methodical approach. Whether it all pans out is another matter but I am glad he thinks things out but doesn't fall into analysis paralysis. He makes necessary moves that show forethought unlike Holmgren who was reactive and made moves that were an afterthought (like throwing in picks in trades). Holmgren was very very poor at asset management. Hextall is not...he understands the implications of reactionary moves when it comes to the cap and the future well being of the franchise. Of course...Mr. Snider is not around to meddle which we know he did with Homer and although well-meaning in many instances it was detrimental. The Bryz situation was one of them that had far reaching implications to this day as we all know including squandering a two-time Vezina winning goaltender...

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
He has also avoided drafting "somebody's kid/nephew", which had become a Piladelphia tradition, between the Phils and Flyers.

You might fairly say that as much as he has been good at drafting, a fair amount of the change has been to stop being bad at it (i.e., wasting picks through dumb choices or useless trades).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His first pick was Sanheim who is related to him somehow. In fairness to him, I think everyone in Manitoba, outside of Winnipeg, is related.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
His first pick was Sanheim who is related to him somehow. In fairness to him, I think everyone in Manitoba, outside of Winnipeg, is related.

Can't wait until Sanheim steps regularly on the ice for the Flyers. I am sick of the ridiculous trade ideas on the main forum and the debate afterwards when we decline how overrated and ordinarily he is for a prospect.

WHY THE **** you ask for him then?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
He has also avoided drafting "somebody's kid/nephew", which had become a Piladelphia tradition, between the Phils and Flyers.
I do believe he refused to let this tradition die when he signed his son to a Phantoms deal

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada

You might fairly say that as much as he has been good at drafting, a fair amount of the change has been to stop being bad at it (i.e., wasting picks through dumb choices or useless trades).
...injury played a large role with why it never worked with Sittler's kid...That one hurt too cause he was such a high pick!Seen him in St.John's and thought he was on his way up but!

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
In my opinion, Hextall is the best GM in the league right now, he hasn't finished the rebuilding, so a lot of people don't pay attention for what is going on in Philly. But Hex is unbelievably precise in every his move, he uses literally every tiny opportunity to make the team better in the future. He is able to convert even absolutely worthless asset into a draft pick. And also he is one of the best in the league at drafting prospects. It's just a pleasure for me to watch his work.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In my opinion, Hextall is the best GM in the league right now, he hasn't finished the rebuilding, so a lot of people don't pay attention for what is going on in Philly. But Hex is unbelievably precise in every his move, he uses literally every tiny opportunity to make the team better in the future. He is able to convert even absolutely worthless asset into a draft pick. And also he is one of the best in the league at drafting prospects. It's just a pleasure for me to watch his work.

He's very good but I won't crown him the best until I see how he does once we are contenders and in "win now" mode. He will have to make some difficult choices when it is time to go all in.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's very good but I won't crown him the best until I see how he does once we are contenders and in "win now" mode. He will have to make some difficult choices when it is time to go all in.

Yup. It's harder to be a GM when contending than a GM as a seller.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One thing for sure, the most overrated GM in hockey is Steve Yzerman.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
No one liked my Aladdin joke? Alright.

Should have held on for a few more. I was going to be all over that!

Hexy has done a fantastic job as have the scouts. We won't be having great drafts every year, but it bodes well for our future that when we are trading away firsts for assets to fill holes down the line that we will be covered in the later rounds. I am eager to see his approach on guys like Simmonds. If he shows loyalty and resigns it's not the worst thing but it's far better to turn that around for a big return and keep the team relavent for that much longer. Schenn is an indication he's all about that base and wants to keep things going, learning from teams like the Kings.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he'd just stop signing broken down former Rangers, he'd be much better off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad