Hextall and Flyers Pro Scouting of veteran Players

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't want Hextall trying to sign top FAs, how many have lived up to their contracts - and NHL money is guaranteed money. Just a bad way to use limited resources.

Much better to extend your own because you have more information about their character and upside, and to pick up veterans with a couple years left on their contracts where you know the extent and duration of any overpay.

Not all free agents are created equal. He will need to open the wallet for a FA at some point in the process..but we arent there yet.

Would the Hawks have won 3 Cups had they not signed Hossa in the summer of 2009?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I don't want Hextall trying to sign top FAs, how many have lived up to their contracts - and NHL money is guaranteed money. Just a bad way to use limited resources.

Much better to extend your own because you have more information about their character and upside, and to pick up veterans with a couple years left on their contracts where you know the extent and duration of any overpay.

No argument from me on this... Letting White walk while signing Gordon might arguably be a good example... And by no means are we even in the position to sign Top FAs.

What Hexy has to do is develop what is in the System and supplement them with quality FAs that fit in and furnish a need... such as he is trying to do with the trade for VF, which was like a one Season FA deal for all intents and purposes.

BUT those UFAs have to bring back what they are taking from the Cap... Weise isn't and Gordon didn't on a cheaper and shorter deal... Weise was too high for much too long.

If Hexy can duplicate what he has done with out of NHL Players, I'd be happy... And then, when we are further along, I really wouldn't mind an affordable higher quality UFA... if he can be brought in without worsening the Cap situation; we are far from being able to do that now though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad