Friedman: "He's close, but im not convinced that Thatcher Demko is a sacred cow (untouchable) in Vancouver"

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
As usual Friedman is full of shit.

He knows Toronto.

That's it.

Dude is a loser and a scum bag and a cancer to hockey outside of Toronto.

....No he doesn't. :laugh:

He can be just as vague about anything in this city as he is for any other team.

Once in a blue moon he's right about something, but it's always "I'm hearing....", or "Sources say...", or "[random team] may put [random player] on the trade block" as if that's groundbreaking info.

Just a rumour monger.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don’t know his health status that well but this guy is a very good goalie. I’d be surprised if he’s the player traded. I suspect the traded player will be Garland and for a modest return.

Does Vancouver have another starter level goalie in their system? Trading Demko seems risky. A real tank move when their offseason would suggest no tanking allowed.

Hockeyskanks

Jul 24, 2022
Trade him. Let him go play somewhere where he can play meaningful games. This guys going to be the next ryan miller if he stays in Vancouver.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
If he was available I’d hope MTL is in on it, maybe Barron + Cgy 1st + Montembault after the season

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Why am I not surprised to see you here in another Canucks thread?

He's had 9 bad games on a team that is struggling
What I’m saying is. What if it isn’t 9 bad ganes? He’s had an extensive injury history with the latest surgery coming this past offseason. He’s had double hip surgery, concussions, knee surgery and who knows what else. Sure, it may just be a rough patch. Or it may be a harbinger of things to come.

Goals saved above expected is a stat that takes the quality of play in front of him into consideration. He was 13th in the league last year. As of right now he’s 68/70.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
The Devils should go for it. He might be the last piece in the puzzle. 2023 1st, 2024 1st and 2nd, Holtz and some cap back?
Way too much to give up. I’ll admit I wasn’t too happy when Fitz said he’d address the goaltending situation during the off-season and then all he did was sign Vitek but at this point Vitek is looking pretty damn good. Very happy with him so far.

Blackwood was playing decent before he went down and Bernier might be coming back in a few weeks.

Maybe at the deadline if the Devils are back in the bubble and the goaltending has dropped off a cliff but at this point I’m happy with what we have.

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t know his health status that well but this guy is a very good goalie. I’d be surprised if he’s the player traded. I suspect the traded player will be Garland and for a modest return.

Does Vancouver have another starter level goalie in their system? Trading Demko seems risky. A real tank move when their offseason would suggest no tanking allowed.

Well, our goalie coach Ian Clark, who seemingly just creates starting goalies out of thin air, was and is extremely excited about Arturs Silovs. He seems to think this guy has high end starting potential. But, I am of the mindset that goalies shouldn't really be starting until around age 24, so we have a 3 year gap or so before he would be NHL ready.

Spencer Martin, our current back up, has looked extremely good in his short NHL tenure. His play last year, and praise from Ian Clark, is what earned him the back up role this year. He may be a decent stop gap if we elected to go in that direction, but he also may crumble under the weight of being an every night starter.

It's tough to say, but if we are doing a mini-rebuild, we would be silly not to listen to what we could get for Demko. If there is a grade A prospect, a 1st, and some other pieces on the table I think we should strongly consider it. We can always trade for an unproven goalie prospect with potential and groom them as well.

Reactions: McJedi

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Did everyone miss this one?

Jeez this should get some people salivating
Nucks need a blue chip prospect back along with #1.

Sabres, Kings, and Devils should both be on Demko if he is available. Demko elevates both teams.

Although Devs have gotten great goaltending from Vanecek - I wonder if that is sustainable.

Sabres and Kings have the prospects that can land him and still have the two best prospect pools in the league.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
What I’m saying is. What if it isn’t 9 bad ganes? He’s had an extensive injury history with the latest surgery coming this past offseason. He’s had double hip surgery, concussions, knee surgery and who knows what else. Sure, it may just be a rough patch. Or it may be a harbinger of things to come.

Goals saved above expected is a stat that takes the quality of play in front of him into consideration. He was 13th in the league last year. As of right now he’s 68/70.
You always look at worst case scenario and negative with Canucks. You have a weird hate obsession with them. A 9 game sample size isn’t erasing his past 2 season as a top 10ish goalie lol

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
You always look at worst case scenario and negative with Canucks. You have a weird hate obsession with them. A 9 game sample size isn’t erasing his past 2 season as a top 10ish goalie lol
I do t hate the Canucks at all. Maybe I’m just a devils advocate to the insane expectations of some other fans. Thinking Demko would pull 2 firsts, a 2nd and a top prospect in a trade is ridiculous.

Are you one of those gatekeeper fans who thinks every comment has to be positive or you’re not a real fan? Don’t like my perspective? Put me on ignore and you won’t have to see my comments.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I do t hate the Canucks at all. Maybe I’m just a devils advocate to the insane expectations of some other fans. Thinking Demko would pull 2 firsts, a 2nd and a top prospect in a trade is ridiculous.

Are you one of those gatekeeper fans who thinks every comment has to be positive or you’re not a real fan? Don’t like my perspective? Put me on ignore and you won’t have to see my comments.

I'm no gatekeeper. I just find it funny how you are in almost every canuck thread when they aren't your team and to no one surprise you're always worst-case scenario.

Using a 9 game sample size is just as insane.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not that I want to have this conversation, but if the thread is already here....

Genuine question Buffalo fans, any interest? You've got some great young pieces already in place, and some nice pieces upcoming as well as three 2nds in the upcoming draft....deal to be made somehow?

buffalo isn’t giving up what some think he is worth

there are real concerns around his injuries.

it looks like buffalo signs Levi after ncaa. Unsure on if they sign Michigan G Portillo. He has another year of eligibility after this one. His talk seems to be he wants to finish is degree before turning pro. In 2023 he falls into the June 1/ 30 days from declare. In 2024 his rights go thru aug 15 2024.

buffalo goalies

22/23 Comrie, Anderson A-UPL
23/24 Comrie, UPL A-Levi
24/25 UPL, Levi A- Portillo or the goalie they picked in 2nd round this year
25/26 UPL, Levi, Portillo ( if signed) A- 2nd 22 drafted goalie

if they acquire Demko it could cause problems in signing Levi orPortillo.

if they were to acquire him it would be at the draft or around then.
Nucks need a blue chip prospect back along with #1.

Sabres, Kings, and Devils should both be on Demko if he is available. Demko elevates both teams.

Although Devs have gotten great goaltending from Vanecek - I wonder if that is sustainable.

Sabres and Kings have the prospects that can land him and still have the two best prospect pools in the league.
Vancouver will not get a blue chip with a 1st.

they could get a late 1st (20-32) or early 2nd + b prospect+ contract player

Miller as a rental got a late 1st, decent prospect drafted late 2nd, a 3rd, and Halak ( cap dump)

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I'm no gatekeeper. I just find it funny how you are in almost every canuck thread when they aren't your team and to no one surprise you're always worst-case scenario.

Using a 9 game sample size is just as insane.
He missed time due to injury again last season. He had offseason surgery and he’s been awful so far since having that surgery. It’s not insane to suggest the possibility that maybe it’s more than just a slow start. I could easily be wrong. But the nhl is littered with goalies who had a couple great seasons before coming back to earth.

Last edited:

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
The Devils should go for it. He might be the last piece in the puzzle. 2023 1st, 2024 1st and 2nd, Holtz and some cap back?
The guy is 1-6-2 with 3,90GAA with 87,9%. And I know Vancouver is bad this season - so is he based on this.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Maybe but if the Canucks say no to a 1st + Holtz, then I would offer what I said because it would still be a positive. Winning the trade is not the goal here, winning the Stanley Cup is. There are 32 teams in the NHL, it’s not a given your team becomes a perenial contender. And this is our chance. I would really hate it to look back after years of mediocre goaltending stop us from winning because we just needed to keep that 23rd overall and didn’t want to look like we overpaid.

If the argument is Demko is not that good and there are better alternatives, then that’s a different question of course.
But the offer had 2 firsts, a 2nd plus Holtz. A 1st and 2nd is an overpay

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Friedman on the Marek show just said that he thinks the only "sacred cows" as in untoucchable and untradeable from Vancouver is Pettersson and Hughes. Friedman says that Demko might be close to being untouchable but he isnt convinced that Vancouver would not move him for a kings ransom. Friedman expressed that it’s not very often that a vezina caliber 26 yr old goalie is on the market so it would be very surprising if it does happen, but the lineup of suitors would be long.
After Jim Rutherford openly said the Canucks are opened for business…..

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So basically "They'll move him if they get a ridiculous offer"

By that logic, time to fire up a couple hundred threads on every other player in the same boat

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Trading him when his value is lower than what he is worth is just dumb.
Demko is a Star goalie struggling this year

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Trading him when his value is lower than what he is worth is just dumb.
Demko is a Star goalie struggling this year
He should be a player traded in the off season. As a Devils fan I know first hand that nothing helps in the quest for high draft position like .874 goal tending. Either way the Canucks are better off keeping him at this point.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ok?

Obviously nobody in the league is going to pay a kings ransom for him, so he might as well be untouchable.
I think Demko would solidify the goaltending for a lot of teams. If Benning is serious about the Canucks possibly being a rebuilding team, they will want to dump their starting goalie who has stolen piles of games for them in the past. There are a few teams out there who some would argue are a great goalie away from being a real contender. For example, not that trading Demko in division is realistic, and I know they just signed Campbell this summer, but Edmonton could certainly use Demko, and if Vancouver was happy taking futures and Campbell back (for cap reasons), I think it would be a good move for Edmonton for sure. But it depends on what being nearly a "sacred cow" means to Vancouver management. Outside of the division, you know Toronto would be interested.

Still would end up being an awful trade of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad