Friedman: "He's close, but im not convinced that Thatcher Demko is a sacred cow (untouchable) in Vancouver"

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Friedman on the Marek show just said that he thinks the only "sacred cows" as in untoucchable and untradeable from Vancouver is Pettersson and Hughes. Friedman says that Demko might be close to being untouchable but he isnt convinced that Vancouver would not move him for a kings ransom. Friedman expressed that its not very often that a vezina caliber 26 yr old goalie is on the market so it would be very surprising if it does happen, but the lineup of suitors would be long.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
1667930777906.png

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I can't remember who it was.... but there was someone in the media this past year that floated the idea that the Canucks would not commit to Demko long-term and were open to trading him because they were concerned about his hips holding up.

Edit: here it is from June 2022. Frank Seravelli reported that another league executive had told him this.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Re-signing JT Miller and then trading Thatcher Demko a few months later is a Jim Benning-level miscalculation.

Goalies almost never return a king's ransom in trade regardless.

Its true goalies almost never return kings ransom but its almost as rare that a 26 yr old in his prime high level goalie on an amazing contract gets traded either so it doesnt mean Demko wouldnt. The more likely scenario is teams dont want to pay what it would cost for the Canucks to get rid of Demko.

Also, Schneider got the Canucks 9th overall ( Horvat)

Reactions: CanuckCity

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Its true goalies almost never return kings ransom but its almost as rare that a 26 yr old in his prime high level goalie on an amazing contract gets traded either so it doesnt mean Demko wouldnt. The more likely scenario is teams dont want to pay what it would cost for the Canucks to get rid of Demko.

Also, Schneider got the Canucks 9th overall ( Horvat)
This is fair.

Plenty of teams would be hypothetically interested in Demko. There are a million problems/considerations on both sides of a hypothetical trade here, assuming he were made available in the first place which I doubt.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think friedman puts the name of star players of major canadian markets in play without the team management's blessing.

rutherford also just had a very provocative interview with local radio.

i think both are related. he's preparing the conditions to have the same nuclear options he would have had if boudreau had not started winning. he's giving the team and the fans fair warning.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I can't remember who it was.... but there was someone in the media this past year that floated the idea that the Canucks would not commit to Demko long-term and were open to trading him because they were concerned about his hips holding up.

Edit: here it is from June 2022. Frank Seravelli reported that another league executive had told him this.

What do you mean the Canucks wouldnt commit to Demko long term? They signed him to a 5 year extension a year ago

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No player is a sacred cow. As a GM, you may not shop certain players on your roster, but if you receive a call, you listen. How quickly you hang up will depend on how good that offer is.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
i don't think friedman puts the name of star players of major canadian markets in play without the team management's blessing.

rutherford also just had a very provocative interview with local radio.

i think both are related. he's preparing the conditions to have the same nuclear options he would have had if boudreau had not started winning. he's giving the team and the fans fair warning.

Trading Demko would be nuclear indeed and a sign of a full rebuild which i believe is needed. I love Demko and whatever team that trades for him is hitting a home run but id be up for trading him for that speculated kings ransom in regards to what it would take.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Not that I want to have this conversation, but if the thread is already here....

Genuine question Buffalo fans, any interest? You've got some great young pieces already in place, and some nice pieces upcoming as well as three 2nds in the upcoming draft....deal to be made somehow?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Demko isn’t winning behind that defense so his value will go down if he has a bad year, Van might be fishing for offers while pretending not to be actively fishing for offers.

Goalies don’t tend to get “king’s ransoms”, and his current play won’t help, but a number of teams have crap goaltending.

We’ve had endless rumors about Vancouver players, it sure will be super exciting if/when one of them actually gets traded.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Demko has been abysmal this season. I don’t know if he’s still recovering from off-season surgery. But if I’m an NHL GM I’d want nothing to do with him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I am not sure I understand the purpose of this thread? Are you asking for his value? There's nothing here.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Not that I want to have this conversation, but if the thread is already here....

Genuine question Buffalo fans, any interest? You've got some great young pieces already in place, and some nice pieces upcoming as well as three 2nds in the upcoming draft....deal to be made somehow?
That would depend on which fans answered. As for the GM, I don't know that Adams would offer as much as some other teams might.

Bringing in Demko would mean having to do something with Anderson or Comrie and given they were both just signed I'm not sure how that would work out. They brought Anderson back for the locker room aspect, so asking him to be traded, or retire may not work. Comrie signed on for a chance to be the starter, and I doubt he'd be dealt so soon after signing as a UFA.

There's also the aspect of the farm. They seem very committed to Levi being the future, so he's not likely to be traded. I would assume he would be the piece JR would be demanding as part of any return in addition to other pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad