Hertl vs Torres

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
I went with a healthy Hertl because well, scoring wins games. Torres has that ability but also with Hertl back in the lineup that pushes Pavs back down to create more scoring depth.

GoGoSharks

Nov 5, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Hertl seems more likely to be not at 100% if back, plus I don't know how much you can expect out of Hertl. Yeah he could have scored 30+ goals this year if healthy, but really he has 1/3 a year of NHL experience and has never been in the playoffs.

I voted Torres with the hope that 1) both come back and we can learn the right answer and 2) Hertl scores at a 30+ pace and I am dead wrong.

If Torres re-enters the top 9, I think we all know exactly what to expect and what he can accomplish in a tough and long series. Hertl will be a wildcard, more potential but really an injured rookie with only chunk of an NHL season under his belt, you shouldn't count on him to re-appear right at the playoffs and score 3 goals a series.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I can't actually vote on this because it's too close. In the long run Hertl is the clear choice. But there are two problems with Hertl. One was already posted. He's been out a long time and it will probably take him longer to get game ready. The other is a bigger question. How fragile is Hertl? He seems to get hurt easily. And it was the Kings who took him out. Everyone would be targetting him again.

I also think too many are focusing too much on Raffi's hitting. His positional play is excellent. He's always in the right place at the right time. His hockey sense is great. Moreover, he raises the level of everyone playing with him. His value to the Sharks when he's played is much higher than may first appear.

Yup, that's exactly why I made this poll...its way closer in my opinion than some people on here think. It was tough for me to decide who to vote for but ultimately I say Torres for reasons I've already stated and like you said he has great hockey sense and is always in the right place at the right time and he's very good in front of the net. I love Hertl don't get me wrong (just ask my buddies at school, I've been arguing that he's better than Mackinnon) but like you said Hertl does seem a bit fragile and may really seem that way when he does return and I'd be really worried about the Kings targetting him. But I will agree with those who are saying that Hertl does make our top 6 that much more dangerous and with Pavelski as our #3C our bottom 6 is also dangerous with Torres in the bottom 6 too.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Glad to hear Drew agrees with me. During the broadcast against the Preds he just said "Another X-factor for the Sharks is Raffi Torres. When he gets into a series against the Kings it changes the dynamic of the Sharks" although I'm not quite sure what that means but still Drew agrees with me lol :laugh:

Battle Hymns

Sep 6, 2013
I'd like to hear from a Kings fan on this question...do you think that if Torres had stayed in that series last year that we would have won?

maybe. that series was so close that any bounce here or there would have made a difference.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
torres forsure. more of a playoff style player

I wouldn't say that until I see Hertl in the playoffs. I agree that Torres is exactly the kind of guy I want on my team for the playoffs though, especially against a team like the Kings but we still haven't seen how Hertl performs in the playoffs. Who knows, maybe he steps his game up offensively and even more physically, I certainly hope he does but that's the big question mark here in this debate in my opinion.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
To all the people who said Hertl and it's not even close....tsk tsk :naughty: . What Torres is doing for us in this series is exactly why I voted for him and which is why I'm positive that if we had him for the whole series against LA last year we would have won. Bet there's a lot of you who hated him when we first traded for him that probably love him now, I'll admit that I didn't like him either before that but that's changed now haha.

chris39bong

To all the people who said Hertl and it's not even close....tsk tsk :naughty: . What Torres is doing for us in this series is exactly why I voted for him and which is why I'm positive that if we had him for the whole series against LA last year we would have won. Bet there's a lot of you who hated him when we first traded for him that probably love him now, I'll admit that I didn't like him either before that but that's changed now haha.

I still don't like Torres one bit but I'm glad he's on the Sharks instead of playing against them. He's had more of an impact this series than Hertl, but that's somewhat to be expected against a team like the Kings who have physically outplayed the Sharks in the past. I still think having Hertl back is huge simply for allowing Pavs to slide back to 3C. Game 3 should be a great test for the Sharks.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011

Just wait until tonight when Sutter gets his matchups and has to match against Pavs on third line center, rather than Sheppard.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, Torres had a few games but luck is regressing to the mean. Hertl is a fantastic offensive player who knows how to score playoff type goals, which he did tonight. Torres is also very good but he isn't as responsible defensively and isn't as good offensively either. The 4th line is not going to play as well on the road.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Yeah, Torres had a few games but luck is regressing to the mean. Hertl is a fantastic offensive player who knows how to score playoff type goals, which he did tonight. Torres is also very good but he isn't as responsible defensively and isn't as good offensively either. The 4th line is not going to play as well on the road.

torresing.jpg

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
It's really about even at this point. Torres has been excellent everytime he steps on the ice. He is always moving the puck up the ice and making smart plays. I don't like him much, but his play-style is absolutely perfect for the Sharks.

Hertl on the other hand looks completely comfortable out there, which is amazing for a rookie who has played a small number of NHL games thus far and only came back from injury a few games back. Unlike say Setoguchi who scored some big goals but was mostly a product of Thornton, Hertl is out there making plays all by himself and giving the kings fits whenever he's in the offensive zone.

Let's not forget Nieto too, who has looked like a veteran NHLer and consistently been one of the most effective players on the team. If I had to pick I'd say as of right now Nieto would be my pick of the 3 for biggest impact.

This is it guys, everything is finally coming together at the right time for us. Our vets are performing as the level expected of them, we have two rookies who are having a huge impact every game, one of the best defenses in the league, and even our special teams are finally clicking. This is the best opportunity the Sharks are ever going to have at the cup, they absolutely have to take advantage of it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, I think it would also be good to just step back for a minute and think about how lucky we are that we have both of these guys back. :)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm so glad we have both guys, who have been invaluable, but I stand by my Hertl vote. Kid is amazing. He and Nieto both have been brilliant.

Improvise

Old School
Apr 1, 2007
Los Gatos, Ca
Without Torres, and Burns for that matter, this series would be completely different.

Mike Brown has also added a much needed additional spark plug that the Sharks have lacked forever.

They are the type of players that help teams win Stanley Cups without showing up on the score sheet. The fact that they are makes them that much more important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad