Value of: Hertl To NYR

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Who would want to sign a Long term contract on a dumpster team like the SJS tho?

It's not like if they had 9.5M$ laying around on a 8 year deal either, considerign their stuck with terrible contracts everywhere

They can still easily pay Hertl if they come to terms. Their terrible contracts will not prevent them from keeping Hertl no matter the cost.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
These proposals are crazy. I like Hertl but he has injury history with his bad knees. It would be awesome to go and get hertl but we would need the money to resign him. Honestly i would rather go after Larkin. But Hertl will cost a 1st, Strome, and a prospect like Jones and middling player/prospect like Guathier.

Im not offering Nils or Kravy though for Hertl. They arent going for Eichel and they arent going for Hertl.

Reactions: bernmeister

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
These proposals are crazy. I like Hertl but he has injury history with his bad knees. It would be awesome to go and get hertl but we would need the money to resign him. Honestly i would rather go after Larkin. But Hertl will cost a 1st, Strome, and a prospect like Jones and middling player/prospect like Guathier.

Im not offering Nils or Kravy though for Hertl. They arent going for Eichel and they arent going for Hertl.
I'm guessing you didn't bother reading through the thread.
In short not really unless your asking a fellow Ranger fan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It makes it easy to not be interested in making a deal when you offer little of worth for a legitimately great player. We won't have a problem getting better than that.

Reactions: Patty Ice

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Again, unless he wants out for some reason, SJ will pay him and he will extend.

for discussion purposes
A fair offer imo is this:

unconditional 2022 1st

2023 7th that morphs into 2023 1st IF Hertl signs 4 yrs at 8.5 w/no nmc and limited ntc or an even more friendly deal.

2024 7th that morphs into 2024 1st IF Hertl is injury free to extent he is available to play in 70% or more of all NHL reg season + playoff games [note he doesn't have to actually play this many games, just be available to NYR b'c he is not injured or otherwise unavailable]

That is something down, and something commensurate w/cost + risk

If Sharks want Strome or Jones, their bid will be welcomed competitively.
If not, fine.

I could see other offers w/prospects instead of picks but while there is a sweet spot on contract term and $, he does have cumulative injury history which may or may not exacerbate if he gets injured again.
Hence price paid has to be balanced with this in mind.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Hertl good player but i dont know why people are thinking the rangers should trade strome for hertl or that its a good move for the rangers? In the past 2 seasons both players totals

48 16 20 36
50 19 24 43

70 18 41 59
56 14 35 49

One has played less games then the other and putting up less numbers to boot. Hertl has the best season with the highest goals and points but has missed time in 3 seasons. Another issue is ryan strome has chemistry with panarin a place (replaceable) on the pp.

If strome was to be moved it would be for salary cap reasons, he gets completely outplayed by one of the prospects (chytil?), or goes in a trade for someone like eichel.

Most importantly rangers and sharks dont have any mutual needs where this trade makes sense.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hertl good player but i dont know why people are thinking the rangers should trade strome for hertl or that its a good move for the rangers? In the past 2 seasons both players totals

48 16 20 36
50 19 24 43

70 18 41 59
56 14 35 49

One has played less games then the other and putting up less numbers to boot. Hertl has the best season with the highest goals and points but has missed time in 3 seasons. Another issue is ryan strome has chemistry with panarin a place (replaceable) on the pp.

If strome was to be moved it would be for salary cap reasons, he gets completely outplayed by one of the prospects (chytil?), or goes in a trade for someone like eichel.

Most importantly rangers and sharks dont have any mutual needs where this trade makes sense.

Because Hertl is a better more all-around player. Hertl's production is a product of Hertl's play whereas Strome's production is more a product of Panarin. It's interesting that you want to point to missing time three seasons yet not point to that third season's production initially. That was Strome without Panarin and Hertl near a point per game. I tend to think this was intentional but it's of no matter because the bottom line is still that Hertl is better than Strome because he's a complete player and Strome is a complimentary piece.

I also tend to disagree that they don't have the capability of making a deal but certain assets need to be on the table for the Rangers but fans tend to not do that. Sharks would want Lundkvist or Schneider.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Because Hertl is a better more all-around player. Hertl's production is a product of Hertl's play whereas Strome's production is more a product of Panarin. It's interesting that you want to point to missing time three seasons yet not point to that third season's production initially. That was Strome without Panarin and Hertl near a point per game. I tend to think this was intentional but it's of no matter because the bottom line is still that Hertl is better than Strome because he's a complete player and Strome is a complimentary piece.

I also tend to disagree that they don't have the capability of making a deal but certain assets need to be on the table for the Rangers but fans tend to not do that. Sharks would want Lundkvist or Schneider.

Strome is not just a passenger and only lucky to be a product of panarin. He scored 18 goals in 60 games with the rangers during the 19 season. Strome has found a place and role in this league. Rangers have given him ample opportunity to succeed and he has repaid them with production.

Reactions: bernmeister

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Strome is not just a passenger and only lucky to be a product of panarin. He scored 18 goals in 60 games with the rangers during the 19 season. Strome has found a place and role in this league. Rangers have given him ample opportunity to succeed and he has repaid them with production.

None of that makes him really much of a comparable to Hertl but his production from half a point per game before Panarin to close to ppg after is predominantly due to Panarin. Hertl doesn't really rely on anyone else to score and his game is also possession and defensive capability. All better than Strome. Like it's absurd that you point solely to production to assert that they wouldn't be better going from Strome to Hertl.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

48 16 20 36
50 19 24 43

70 18 41 59
56 14 35 49

So you are trying to tell me that you wouldn’t trade Strome for Hertl ? My lord.
I agree that Strie gets under rated somewhat by side fan bases but I’m going to have to disagree on him being as good as Hertl.
I’d have to see Strome playing without Panarin (arguably the best LW in the game ) to see what he truly is .

Reactions: Patty Ice

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I always said hertl is better and no i would not trade them 1 for 1. I doubt strome scores 30 in a season. Chemistry matters. Strome has trended up it doesnt mean that hes being carried.

Strome has scored 19, 18, and 14 goals the past 3 seasons. The 19 goal season he had 1 with edmonton and 18 with the rangers playing on line 3 and some garbage pp time. He didnt have panarin and proved to be effective and belong as an nhl player.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
They can still easily pay Hertl if they come to terms. Their terrible contracts will not prevent them from keeping Hertl no matter the cost.
Care to explain hoe they'll find the $?

It's not like if any teams would pick EJ, Burns, Vlasic or Couture of their hands

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I don’t understand the Strome part, he’s a UFA too. This is very likely a TDL deal, Wilson sounds somewhat delusional about the how competitive the team is, he was pretty focused on rearranging the Titanic’s deck chairs (3C, fixing goaltending, etc) this off-season and Hertl has a very limited 3 team trade list.

The Sharks aren’t going want a different UFA center for their UFA center, that’s not how TDL deals typically work.

It’s going to be a 1st and prospects, unless you want add value with a player who isn’t a UFA or add value in the picks direction if you can’t bear to part with your top human assets.

And no one likes Jones because he’s a 5’10” LHD PP QB and literally no one finds that sexy, but I’m guessing it’s particularly not sexy to fans of a team who have Burns & Karlsson signed until doomsday, are dealing w/ Ryan Merkley anxiety and have Ferraro already in the short LHD guy slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Groo

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, I meant 60 yo knees

You're hilariously wrong either way. Doubling down on it doesn't change that.

Care to explain hoe they'll find the $?

It's not like if any teams would pick EJ, Burns, Vlasic or Couture of their hands

They have 15 mil in cap space for next season right now. How hard do you honestly think it would be to accommodate an 8 mil max figure for them? It won't be difficult to move others to make that happen like Labanc, Meier, and Simek. They're probably dropping Kane one way or the other by the next off-season. At worst, a buyout opens up another 3 mil. They have plenty of options to free up cap if needed.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I don’t understand the Strome part, he’s a UFA too. This is very likely a TDL deal, Wilson sounds somewhat delusional about the how competitive the team is, he was pretty focused on rearranging the Titanic’s deck chairs (3C, fixing goaltending, etc) this off-season and Hertl has a very limited 3 team trade list.

The Sharks aren’t going want a different UFA center for their UFA center, that’s not how TDL deals typically work.

It’s going to be a 1st and prospects, unless you want add value with a player who isn’t a UFA or add value in the picks direction if you can’t bear to part with your top human assets.

And no one likes Jones because he’s a 5’10” LHD PP QB and literally no one finds that sexy, but I’m guessing it’s particularly not sexy to fans of a team who have Burns & Karlsson signed until doomsday, are dealing w/ Ryan Merkley anxiety and have Ferraro already in the short LHD guy slot.

Strome is just to make the salaries work. We could also hopefully make a 3 way trade with Ott where they get Strome and those picks are sent to you guys instead along with the rangers 1st and a prospect. But i get youre hesitation with the prospects mentioned and i wont try to sell you on Jones as im sure its been discussed. So it would probably work out to be Hertl for a prospect, 2021 Rangers 1st, Ott 2nd rounder, and another 2nd in 2023.

Only reason we ranger fans are using him in trade deals isnt because we think he isnt going to be an nhl caliber capable 2nd pairing dman. Its just that we have Nils, Robertson, Schnieder to go along with Foxy, Lindgren, Miller, and trouba. There just isnt enough spots.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
You're hilariously wrong either way. Doubling down on it doesn't change that.

They have 15 mil in cap space for next season right now. How hard do you honestly think it would be to accommodate an 8 mil max figure for them? It won't be difficult to move others to make that happen like Labanc, Meier, and Simek. They're probably dropping Kane one way or the other by the next off-season. At worst, a buyout opens up another 3 mil. They have plenty of options to free up cap if needed.
Kane lost Hertl’s knees in a dice game.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Strome is just to make the salaries work. We could also hopefully make a 3 way trade with Ott where they get Strome and those picks are sent to you guys instead along with the rangers 1st and a prospect. But i get youre hesitation with the prospects mentioned and i wont try to sell you on Jones as im sure its been discussed. So it would probably work out to be Hertl for a prospect, 2021 Rangers 1st, Ott 2nd rounder, and another 2nd in 2023.

Only reason we ranger fans are using him in trade deals isnt because we think he isnt going to be an nhl caliber capable 2nd pairing dman. Its just that we have Nils, Robertson, Schnieder to go along with Foxy, Lindgren, Miller, and trouba. There just isnt enough spots.
Having a Jones lessons the sting of having to include a Schneider or a Nils in a trade for Hertl

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
SJ will want a kings ransom. It only makes sense for NYR to pay up if they pretty much have the parameters for an extension in place. If that’s the case, then it’s unlikely they can extend Zibanejad as well. For those reasons, I’m out. I really like Hertl as a player and if he were locked up for 4 years at a reasonable number then I’d be all in, but I don’t think this scenario works.

If the Rangers are shooting their big shot then they need term. They aren’t likely a Hertl away from winning a cup this year. I’d much rather just keep Strome as an own rental this year who will put up comparable numbers and not cost a truckload of assets then reassess next offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad