Friedman: "Hertl not available at this point in time"

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
if I had to guess, it's just that they want to keep him and so will not trade him until right at the deadline.

So we can't make any assumptions about how close an extension is. Even if it seems hopeless, I'd imagine that Hertl is at least listening. You have to wonder if maybe Karlsson's timing at coming back is partly to show Hertl that the team isn't aged out and has some years of competition left in it. It might be a good sell if they can get a few wins like they did last night. But, if I'm Hertl I'm looking at July like a huge opportunity to join a team on the rise like the Rangers.
Unless he's willing to take an extremely team-friendly deal, the Rangers can't afford him.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Sharks must have called on Silicon Valley to build them a time machine. Do they think they can get good again without tearing things down? Nothing they do has made sense for the past few seasons.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks must have called on Silicon Valley to build them a time machine. Do they think they can get good again without tearing things down? Nothing they do has made sense for the past few seasons.
I wouldn’t worry about it until an actual contract is signed.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Sharks are going to be in cap hell here very soon. Not sure why you’d want to re-up for another rebuild but hey

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Habs have tons of caproom. Can pay more than most teams. Plus Hughes and Gorton, Habs have turned it around lately.
So basically you don’t have a reason except hope. Sharks can easily match whatever the Habs are offering and offer an 8th year unless they are offering some insane 10M+.

Habs have a bright future don’t get me wrong but there is no way they are pulling Hertl. Hertl has been a very private person throughout his entire time he’s been here and is already a fan favorite here. If it’s about money or comfort, he’d stay in SJ. If it’s about winning, he wouldn’t be going to the Habs.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So basically you don’t have a reason except hope. Sharks can easily match whatever the Habs are offering and offer an 8th year unless they are offering some insane 10M+.

Habs have a bright future don’t get me wrong but there is no way they are pulling Hertl. Hertl has been a very private person throughout his entire time he’s been here and is already a fan favorite here. If it’s about money or comfort, he’d stay in SJ. If it’s about winning, he wouldn’t be going to the Habs.
San Jose on way down though. They are declining. I imagine shot at a Cup matters also.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
San Jose on way down though. They are declining. I imagine shot at a Cup matters also.
He won’t get a shot at the cup with MTL though…. I don’t know if you are vastly overestimating your team or castle underrating ours but VERY similar positions. Sharks have a very underrated prospect pool but you’re right they aren’t close to competing but neither is MTL, especially in that division.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Hertl should help the team, take a rental trade to Boston for their 1st and a good prospect then re-sign in San Jose in the off-season.

Only risk SJ runs is if he loves it with Pastrnak and Hall.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He has a better shot at a cup in San Jose then he does in Montreal right now. Neither of our teams are good, but atleast he's already comfortable here with his family and has friends, and San Jose can offer him the 8th year of a contract.

He's either resigning in San Jose, or going to a contender.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He won’t get a shot at the cup with MTL though…. I don’t know if you are vastly overestimating your team or castle underrating ours but VERY similar positions. Sharks have a very underrated prospect pool but you’re right they aren’t close to competing but neither is MTL, especially in that division.
Hertl is kind of player Montreal be targeting. Size and speed down the middle. Proven 35 goal guy, 70 points good on faceoffs. Habs will have to overpay. If they can move the contracts this trade deadline.

Habs were in Cup finals last year. Carey Price be back next year and they get a top 3 pick in this draft. Plus possible 3 extra first this draft. Since Gorton and St.Louis duo took over Montreal been one of better teams in league. Their future look real good. Hertl and Montreal are good fit for each other

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Hertl is kind of player Montreal be targeting. Size and speed down the middle. Proven 35 goal guy, 70 points good on faceoffs. Habs will have to overpay. If they can move the contracts this trade deadline.

Habs were in Cup finals last year. Carey Price be back next year and they get a top 3 pick in this draft. Plus possible 3 extra first this draft. Since Gorton and St.Louis duo took over Montreal been one of better teams in league. Their future look real good. Hertl and Montreal are good fit for each other
Montreal is literally in last place in the entire league. Why on earth would Hertl leave for that? (Also Hertl won't bring any speed down the middle, skating speed is his main weakness)

As of right now, Montreal has 2 first round picks. 1 might be on the roster next year. There's been 14 games since the coaching change...let's wait for a much bigger sample size to say they will turn this around very fast...especially considering which teams sit atop your division. This might be a fit for Montreal...but would be a terrible fit for Hertl.

Reactions: Gecklund

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
This front office has never had to deal with needing to tear everything down before so they're spinning their wheels trying to pretend that it's still 2019 and everything's all good.

Reactions: MNRube

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The chance for a quickish rebuild went years ago.
I guess with Hertl’s age he probably has wife and kids? That’s the only angle I see making sense for both sides keeping him if he’s competitive, that are desperate not you face facts

I just want to see more big moves in general around the league lol

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
This front office has never had to deal with needing to tear everything down before so they're spinning their wheels trying to pretend that it's still 2019 and everything's all good.
To a certain degree I agree. Hockey is not a sport where a total teardown is always necessary. Some markets/organizations might struggle with a prolonged rebuild

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
To a certain degree I agree. Hockey is not a sport where a total teardown is always necessary. Some markets/organizations might struggle with a prolonged rebuild
The Sharks are already struggling because no one's buying what this org is selling; everyone knows this team isn't very good. They should've torn it all down during the pandemic, when people weren't able to go to games anyway.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
It only makes sense for the Sharks to keep Hertl if they can get two of Burns, Vlasic, or Couture off the books IMO.

For Hertl, it makes no sense to stay at the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad