Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2023-24 Seasons | Hershey 12x (and Defending) Champions Edition

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Saw that. 1-0’s can happen.

Bears have a lot of talent still. Their D and G is still exemplary. It’s the F’s that have been pilfered.

Which is where I think the chemistry has been more impacted than just the talent.

Miro and maybe even Lappy will be back soon. Unless the TDL impacts it all greatly.

That said, I think GMBM is VERY cognizant of their relationship w Hershey, and vice versa. GMBM wants Hershey to win. He’s def going to try and help them while he makes his moves.

I think Hershey will be fine.

And the beauty of that team, is that they’ve been so consistently dominant this year, their cushion in the standings is YUGE. Would take a total and complete melt down to even lose their top spot.

They are in a great spot to experiment. Which is what I expect the Caps to do, as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWGie26

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Back to back scoreless games is shocking. Granted they are missing Frank, Lapierre, Sgarbosa, Miro, and Dube (and Phillips). That is a lot of scoring out.

I really don’t think they will try and send Sgarbosa down for Hershey / AHL playoff roster. He may get claimed for BS reasons. I could see a team taking him and then waive him a few days later and caps will get him back but won’t be able to play in playoffs. I suspect that is against common courtesy in the AHL, but all is fair.

That said, I think Bears will be fine getting Miro, Dube, and Frank back. And then add Kuzy to the mix. Maybe Lapierre as well. Still gonna be a damn good team come playoff time.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Back to back scoreless games is shocking. Granted they are missing Frank, Lapierre, Sgarbosa, Miro, and Dube (and Phillips). That is a lot of scoring out.

I really don’t think they will try and send Sgarbosa down for Hershey / AHL playoff roster. He may get claimed for BS reasons. I could see a team taking him and then waive him a few days later and caps will get him back but won’t be able to play in playoffs. I suspect that is against common courtesy in the AHL, but all is fair.

That said, I think Bears will be fine getting Miro, Dube, and Frank back. And then add Kuzy to the mix. Maybe Lapierre as well. Still gonna be a damn good team come playoff time.
How does Cal Petersen get a 1st star and Clay Stevenson doesn't even get a 3rd star?! When both goalies get the shutout through regulation and OT, both goalies end up being 2 of the 3 stars of the game, as both recorded the shutout?!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
How does Cal Petersen get a 1st star and Clay Stevenson doesn't even get a 3rd star?! When both goalies get the shutout through regulation and OT, both goalies end up being 2 of the 3 stars of the game, as both recorded the shutout?!
Criminal! New franchise record for MUD though. Hope he translates to the NHL in two seasons (getting some call-up action next year).

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I mean, the Facebook group as a whole seems oddly anti-Sgarbossa so I'm sure most of them would be happy if he never came back. Definitely recall a couple comments, about a month or so before he got called up, saying we don't need Sgarbs because we won without him last year.

Yesterday sounded awful all around for both teams, but it's not like they had no chances at all Saturday. Snively hit the post off the rush late in the 2nd, then had an Iorio rebound all alone in front of the net early in the 3rd and rang it off the crossbar. Bogey beautifully dangled through the Utica defense in the 2nd, cut to the slot, then... maddeningly tried to pass it to (I think) Strome at the side of the net rather than take the shot himself. They just couldn't finish. It's definitely disappointing to have your goalies give up a combined one goal in two games and come away with just a single standings point.

Anyone heard anything about Frank? Been to the last few home games and dont have the AHLTV road package, so I haven't heard a broadcast in a while. And as we all know, getting AHL injury updates is like pulling teeth.

Right now Hershey is dressing an ECHL goon and a dman goon on the fourth line. We need someone, anyone, lol.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I mean, the Facebook group as a whole seems oddly anti-Sgarbossa so I'm sure most of them would be happy if he never came back. Definitely recall a couple comments, about a month or so before he got called up, saying we don't need Sgarbs because we won without him last year.

Yesterday sounded awful all around for both teams, but it's not like they had no chances at all Saturday. Snively hit the post off the rush late in the 2nd, then had an Iorio rebound all alone in front of the net early in the 3rd and rang it off the crossbar. Bogey beautifully dangled through the Utica defense in the 2nd, cut to the slot, then... maddeningly tried to pass it to (I think) Strome at the side of the net rather than take the shot himself. They just couldn't finish. It's definitely disappointing to have your goalies give up a combined one goal in two games and come away with just a single standings point.

Anyone heard anything about Frank? Been to the last few home games and dont have the AHLTV road package, so I haven't heard a broadcast in a while. And as we all know, getting AHL injury updates is like pulling teeth.

Right now Hershey is dressing an ECHL goon and a dman goon on the fourth line. We need someone, anyone, lol.
All I've heard is week to week.

swansonsays

Oct 13, 2021
Wonder if this (Kuzy) is a Wayne Simmonds situation (Toronto) where he technically reports but doesn't actually play or plays select games only? Curious to see how it plays out.

I believe Bryan Helmer said (at the q&a) that Frank would play in Charlotte this coming weekend. With the audio quality at Giant Center, though, I could have heard that & Bryan has said something completely different. I know he did mention looking at an AHL trade for a center if Sgarbossa does not come back, or does not clear.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The worries about Sgarbossa getting claimed are premature IMO. He has another year on his deal and his AHL salary is high ($525,000). That will scare off teams. Plus he’s a 31 year old career AHLer.
This is actually a great point. I am just paranoid about shenanigans. Haha.

Whether he stays or goes probably depends on what we have left at center position come March 8. could be that we bring back a center contract whom is a pending UFA. Or we get nasty and grab a young under 27 center who slots in our top 4.

I’m surprised to hear that people are down on Sgarbosa. But it sounds like the FB page (which i have never been on) is just crazy town.

When do we find out if Kuzy reported? Whens the next practice ?
Someone posted the practice schedule for week. They are off today, so we’ll hear something on Tuesday because regardless there will be a lot of questions from the media.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
The worries about Sgarbossa getting claimed are premature IMO. He has another year on his deal and his AHL salary is high ($525,000). That will scare off teams. Plus he’s a 31 year old career AHLer.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if someone grabbed him. That paired with the fact he's made it pretty clear he wants to stay in Hershey and not test the waters elsewhere. He has six years there now and could have left for a fresh start multiple times. Him and his wife just had a kid a few years ago too I can't image hed be too thrilled about uprooting his life.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
This is actually a great point. I am just paranoid about shenanigans. Haha.

Whether he stays or goes probably depends on what we have left at center position come March 8. could be that we bring back a center contract whom is a pending UFA. Or we get nasty and grab a young under 27 center who slots in our top 4.

I’m surprised to hear that people are down on Sgarbosa. But it sounds like the FB page (which i have never been on) is just crazy town.

Someone posted the practice schedule for week. They are off today, so we’ll hear something on Tuesday because regardless there will be a lot of questions from the media.
The guy in front of me at the actual games always bitches about him because he overpasses and turns the puck over semi frequently. Which is true to an extent. But he also has proven he can consistently produce at a high level for six years now, so I think it's kind of silly. But there's also a big subsection of the fanbase who still believe that hockey player=big tough guy who hits and anyone else is worthless, so there's that.

Oh, and apparently some of those who are a bit too attached to the team as human beings think he's stuck up or something. I dunno, I only met the guy once at a team event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad